04:26:00
A+ A-

Interview with Che Jose about his track Voices on Patterns




Sydney based Dj and Producer Che Jose, has really made a name for himself over the last few years. Four Top 100 Beatport charting tracks, with his highest single Andromeda reaching number 5 on the Beatport Progressive charts in 2022. His work has been supported by the likes of David Guetta, Meduza, Ferry Corsten, BlasterJaxx, Andrew Rayel, Korolova, Miss Monique, Gorgon City, Vintage Culture, Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren, Paul Van Dyke and the list goes on.

While listeners may not always know what to expect from him, Che’s sure to bring all the colour and charisma which his lifetime of experience has afforded him. Che Jose may register as a fledgling face in the eyes of the electronic world today, his music however tells a much more salient story.

His latest track Voices is out on FSOE Patterns and we thought is the perfect occasion to have an interview with him and experience what this upcoming artist has in store for us.


1-Dimitris: Let us know about achievements or goals in your career that you achieved and you are proud of in 2022.

Che Jose: 1. Achieve a top 5 Beatport progressive House track, played by people such as Meduza, Vintage Culture, Paul Van Dyke, Miss Monique, Above and Beyond, Korolova, Gorgon City, Benny Benassi and more. Also release a David Bowies white label of Let's Dance which was played by Judge Jules, Nora En Pure, Benny Benassi, Vintage Culture and many more which earned high praise

2-Dimitris: Do you have already some concrete plans for 2023 and if you are allowed to announce them to our readers please tell us what you are preparing for us in the coming months regarding releases and performances in gigs/festivals.

Che Jose:  Trying to launch my own record label to give me the flexibility to release tracks more often and also try and help other producers with a foot through the door.


3-Dimitris: It would be fantastic to talk about your latest release Voices on Pattern. Please tell us how this track came about and what was the idea behind it.

Che Jose: My latest release out through FSOE Pattern is called Voices, which has already received some support from the likes of Aly & Fila, and I also have tracks coming out through F.T.F.T records (my own label) and some others through labels such as Pillar.

4-Dimitris: How long it took you to produce Voices and can u describe the production process in simple steps?

Che Jose: I always start with a melody or idea, and try and build it from there. I find that this is the easiest way to let the creativity flow and allow for something to seamless come through. Whether it's good or not that's another story, sometimes out of 10 ideas only 2 might make it to the final stage.

5-Dimitris: Did you had any particular difficulties accomplishing Voices or any specific production challenges.

Che Jose: I try not to think to much and just see where the process takes me, i find that if I try to achieve something or go into a production sessions trying to aim for a particular result, I become less focus on the creativity side of things.

6- Dimitris: Which music composition software or hardware you prefer and why? What is your opinion of the latest movement to produce music with more analogue equipment and with less or without any digital software?

Che Jose: I'm using pretty much everything inside the box atm, Abelton, Serum, Diva and and a whole bunch of FX plugins. I would love to get some gear soon, something like a Moog or a Prophet Rev 5 would be cool.

7-Dimitris: Do you prefer instrumental dance tracks or you adore vocals? Please explain to us your position and if in your latest production you have vocals tell us how did you choose the specific singer and if it was great to work with her/him?

Che Jose: A bit of both, some tracks sounds better with vocals, and some sound fantastic with a really catchy melody as a hook.


8-Dimitris: If you really like to produce vocal tracks which vocalist/singer or lyricist on electronic dance music you aspire to work with?

Che Jose: I would love to work with Ellie Goulding, and from a production point of view I would love to work with someone like Anyma, as I'm really digging the After Life sound atm.

9-Dimitris: Do you believe that artwork on your latest track is good and do you believe that artwork can attract listeners or record buyers? Can you mention the best artwork of a track ever released?

Che Jose: I think the artwork is cool, artwork always helps to catch the idea, but ultimately the music is what sells the record in my mind.

10-Dimitris: Your track is released on Pattern? Tell us your opinion about that particular label and your connection with them.

Che Jose: Well at the moment its on Pattern, I met the guys through Dylhen who hit me up after he heard another one of my tracks, and asked if i had something that might be suitable for Pattern. My next single is out through Miss Monique sub label Pillar, who I met when she released my track Andromeda on Siona last year, and then I have a few releases on my own label F.T.F.T Records.

11-Dimitris: Do you have your own record label? if yes tell us when did you set it up, the reasons behind this decision and your top 3 releases on the label so far plus 2 or 3 releases that we should look after from your label.

Che Jose: I do, F.T.F.T Records, and I'm taking demos now if anyone has any cool progressive house, melodic techno or melodic house releases. I set it up to allow me the freedom to release more quickly and to start owning all my masters, it also allows me the opportunity to release for artist who would not have a chance with a bigger label.

12-Dimitris: Are you planning to complete an album or mix compilation soon? if yes please give us all the details about regarding tracks and how will look and sound like?

Che Jose: I recently just mixed an Album which will be released on Spotify in a few weeks called 'Dance Revolution 001' named after my radio show. It's a very progressive heavy album mix, but I liked how it came out.


13-Dimitris:How much time do you spend promoting yourself in your social media and you see this as essential tool for self promotion and getting bookings too? Which social media is the one that seems to work better for you?

Che Jose: I would say around 30%, between social media, Youtube tutorials, Patreon ect. I'm trying to get my hands in all the pies to see what sort of reach i can get out of each one. At the moment Instagram is the main one I work in, however I'm also doing Tutorials on Youtube and just grew my Youtube channel (chejoseofficaltv) to 1,000 subscribers which I'm pretty proud off.

14-Dimitris: Do you have your own radio show/podcast/twitch stream or Vlog(video blog)? If yes please give us a comment about it and how long it take you to prepare for it and if you are always excited to produce it?

Che Jose: I do Dance Revolution, which is syndicated you can hear repeat shows on my Soundcloud www.soundcloud.com/chejose or through ITunes

15-Dimitris: From the gigs/festival performances confirmed so far for 2023 in which ones are you most excited to perform and why?

Che Jose: Atm nothing, but hopefully something coming in the European summer.


16-Dimitris: Please share your most funny and most serious incident that happen to you during your DJ performance?

Che Jose: I once got so drunk during a New Years gig in Sri Lanka that I fell of the stage backwards and knocked myself out. Since that day I never drink while I DJ lol

17-Dimitris: Are you enjoying to visit music conferences and do you have any plans to attend any of them in 2023:

Che Jose: This year I'll be in ADE, it will also be my first time, as previously i was only doing WMC. So expectations are high.

18-Dimitris: Do you have an agent that organize your performances and gigs or are you taking care of them? If you do have one agency please tell us what is so special and you work with them.

Che Jose: At the moment I'm a one man show, if any wants to book me hit me up on my IG lol

19-Dimitris: Please note for all the new talents that read this interview to get some inspiration from you any technical tips in relation to your DJing or music productions. Also any piece of personal or music business' advice that has helped you to progress even further and is worth telling to the new upcoming talents.

Che Jose: Don't stop, talent will only get you so far, but hard work will take you the rest of the way there!


20-Dimitris: Many DJs who are producers too they offer online masterclasses or teach to music production courses. If you are offering any of these services please tell us about it.

Che Jose: I do have a Patreon with a few students, which I find quite rewarding. We do 1 on 1 calls every month and we cover their production process. It's great to see how they are improving from month to month I feel like a proud parent lol

21-Dimitris: Is there a club classic that you would like to remix or rework in 2023? Do you attempt often to do your own bootlegs of classics?

Che Jose: OH man so many, I did a remix of Let's Dance by David Bowie which blew up and I wasn't quite expecting the positive feedback I got. My try an aussie artist next maybe something like what Cassian did with Ice House 'Great Southern Land'.

22-Dimitris: Vinyl sales are rising and there is strong demand for vinyl releases? What is the reason behind that trend and do you see it as a positive development?

Che Jose: I would love to see more vinyl, which also means more money for producers, as Streaming royalties suck!

23-Dimitris: Many artist right now attempt to come closer to their fan base and use the meta verse in order to offer exclusive content to their most dedicated followers. Do you have any plans to do the same and what is your opinion about this plan to grow on metaverse?

Che Jose: Maybe in the future, i'm trying to concentrate on a few things first and get them working correctly before I jump into something else. But it's definitely something interesting to explore.


24-Dimitris: Do you believe that music genres or styles are still relevant today? What is your opinion about hybrids and artists attempting to mix influences from various genres in their tracks?

Che Jose: In a way, but so many genres are blending now, Future rave which was techno and edm, Melodic techno, which was a slower version of trance, so who knows where it will head, but it's exciting to see that music is always evolving.

25-Dimitris: Finally tell us if you are able to make a leaving out of your music business (DJ/producer/label owner/teaching or mastering tracks) and if not what other jobs are you doing in order to make a decent leaving?

Che Jose: Atm, I'm breaking even with my music from different streaming services, can't live of music yet, but hopefully in a few years.

Dimitris: Your message & wishes for Flux Bpm Online readers.

Che Jose: Follow your dreams and work hard, remember don't leave success to chance, you need to work for it.


Thanks to Che Jose for his wonderful interview.

Thanks to Dan at FSOE for organizing this interview. 

Additional info:
Tik Tok: Chejoseofficial