05:25:00
A+ A-

Interview with First Effect about his track Apollo XI on FSOE Fables



In 2010 the Belgian duo Jordan Waeles and Christopher Vinckier released their first single as First Effect. More tracks and remixes followed fast on different known labels. With 'Into The Light' being Future Favorite on A State of Trance the fanbase started to grow. A few years passed by, but family and other situations stopped the musical output a bit. However the love for trance music was always present. Now, Chris is fully back again in the studio, reviving the project and bringing much more brand new trance music.

His track Apollo XI is out now on FSOE Fables and we are happy to announce that Chris has replied in our questions about this track and his future career prospects. Welcome back First Effect to trance.

 

1-Dimitris: Let us know how was 2022 for your career. Note down for us your achievements or goals fulfilled  last year and you are proud of them.

First Effect: In 2022 I decided to come back to producing music and saw 2022 as the launch of a new era for First Effect, with producing loads of new music.

2-Dimitris: Do you have already some concrete plans for 2023 and if you are allowed to announce them to our readers please tell us what you are preparing for us in the coming months regarding releases and performances in gigs/festivals.

First Effect: I have a few new tracks nearly finished, also a few collaborations coming later this year with some nice names in the trance scene but can't spoil to much yet.

3-Dimitris: It would be fantastic to talk about your track Apollo XI on FSOE Fables. Please tell us how this track came about and what was the idea behind it.

First Effect: Somehow I am intrigued by space / Nasa and I found a website with loads of Nasa's communication samples, which gave me the idea to do something around that. Also the line 'we came in peace for all mankind' was something that stayed in my head, and watching the series for all mankind definitely gave everything a boost :-)


4-Dimitris: How long it took you to produce Apollo XI and can u describe the production process in simple steps?

First Effect: This was a track where I created the pluck lead first and then came up with the saw melody. I started building around that. It stayed on my drive for a while until I was happy about the complete track, when I eventually sent it to the label.

5-Dimitris: Did you had any particular difficulties accomplishing that particular track or any specific production challenges.

First Effect: Actually I was doubting on a few decisions around the break/drop where I got some comments from Tibor (ReOrder) which helped me through :-)


6- Dimitris: Which music composition software or hardware you prefer and why? What is your opinion of the latest movement to produce music with more analogue equipment and with less or without any digital software?

First Effect: I started working years ago in Fruity Loops which I liked a lot, but then I started to learn Ableton Live and this one works much faster for me. Soundwise I use tools Like Spire, Sylenth1, Kontakt, LFO Tool, ... Making music with analog equipment is wonderful but it comes with a much bigger price and space :)

7-Dimitris: Do you prefer instrumental dance tracks or you adore vocals? Please explain to us your position and if in your latest production you have vocals tell us how did you choose the specific singer and if it was great to work with her/him?

First Effect: I love both actually, sometimes I work with vocals, which came from Raz Nitzan before. I also tried a few times online platforms to find a singer but I think there is much more potential out there in the world not on some platforms yet.


8-Dimitris: If you really like to produce vocal tracks which vocalist/singer or lyricist on electronic dance music you aspire to work with?

First Effect: I'd love to create a track once with Ana Criado's voice...

9-Dimitris: Do you believe that artwork on your latest track is good and do you believe that artwork can attract listeners or record buyers? Can you mention the best artwork of a track ever released?

First Effect: I do believe artwork is very important and I'm very happy with what Fables/FSOE is doing on that side. Personally I'm also more attracted to a track with a nice cover but still tries to check out less attractive designs, to find that hidden treasure. One of the best artwork ever created for me is for the EP Dark Side of The Moon by Pink Floyd. So recognizable, still these days...

10-Dimitris: Are you planning to complete an album or mix compilation soon? if yes please give us all the details about regarding tracks and how will look and sound like?

First Effect: I'm still discovering my own solo sound, so no plans yet on an album mix yet.

11-Dimitris:How much time do you spend promoting yourself in your social media and you see this as essential tool for self promotion and getting bookings too? Which social media is the one that seems to work better for you?

First Effect: Clearly not enough time yet :) As a Fulltime working father, it's sometimes hard to work on music and then still find some time to promote and be around on social media, but I'd go with Instagram if I have to choose one. I do think it's essential to be around on social media as the biggest part of the public is on there, listening, reading, watching...


12-Dimitris: Do you have your own radio show/podcast/twitch stream or Vlog(video blog)? If yes please give us a comment about it and how long it take you to prepare for it and if you are always excited to produce it?

First Effect: We used to have a radio show on DI.fm and ah.fm years ago, but that's not around anymore. It took a lot of time to go through promo's, find new music, mix and so on. Now I'm building mix sets when it works for me timewise and when I feel like doing one :)

13-Dimitris: From the gigs/festival performances confirmed so far for 2023 in which ones are you most excited to perform and why?

First Effect: No gigs yet, but I'd love to be at luminosity one day :)


14-Dimitris: Are you enjoying to visit music conferences and do you have any plans to attend any of them in 2023:

First Effect: Yes, I've been on some sessions at Armada, and I'll be surely going to ADE this year again.

15-Dimitris: Please note for all the new talents that read this interview to get some inspiration from you any technical tips in relation to your DJing or music productions. Also any piece of personal or music business' advice that has helped you to progress even further and is worth telling to the new upcoming talents.

First Effect: What I would say is just do whatever you like and love, don't try to fit your music in some premade box. Think outside the box and be creative.

16-Dimitris: Is there a club classic that you would like to remix or rework in 2023? Do you attempt often to do your own bootlegs of classics?

First Effect: I finished a bootleg, Within Temptation Remix. I'm working on another classic by Sied Van Riel :)


17-Dimitris: Vinyl sales are rising and there is strong demand for vinyl releases? What is the reason behind that trend and do you see it as a positive development?

First Effect: I'm not really following the vinyl scene. I think it's just a nice to have and nice way to play music, that you physically put a record on.

18-Dimitris: Do you believe that music genres or styles are still relevant today? What is your opinion about hybrids and artists attempting to mix influences from various genres in their tracks?

First Effect: It's good to have some kind of base to search or find music, but I love artists exploring and trying different things. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but why not trying. If this is something artists personally want to try and discover, who is the rest of the world to blame them cause it's out of their 'genre'....

19-Dimitris: Finally tell us if you are able to make a leaving out of your music business (DJ/producer/label owner/teaching or mastering tracks) and if not what other jobs are you doing in order to make a decent leaving?

First Effect: As said before, I've a fulltime job in the IT sector/Webshop, so I surely can't live from music. It's a hobby I like and love, I Love to go out and play some gigs one day, but it's not the main goal to live from music.

Dimitris: Your message & wishes for Flux Bpm Online readers.

First Effect: Wishing everybody a good health, a safe world to live and loads of nice music!


Many thanks to Chris for this great interview.

Many thanks to Dan at FSOE for organising this interview.

Additional info: