21:31:00
A+ A-

Interview with DJ, film & electronic music composer Casepeat from South Korea




Based in Seoul, South Korea. Trance & Progressive, Future Rave, Hip-Hop. Music Producer & DJ, Film Music Director 'Play It Forward' Host DJ

- Music Supported by
Rene Ablaze, Johan Gielen, JES, Andrea Mazza, Euphoric Nation, LKX, N-sKing, DJ Wiss, Kojun, Active Limbic System, Riccardo Sada, Dimitri Kechagias, Suzy Solar, Ithur, Marco Mc Neil, Physical Phase, Alex John, DJ Sigvaldason, Ben Projekt, Rehoxx, Shark, Infrasonic Recordings-#SOUNDOFTHESONIC, Mix Feed Radio Show, Trance-Energy Radio.. and more

- Signed Labels
Futurising Music (Ahmed Helmy's)
Elpida Music (Daniel Wanrooy's imprint of Black Hole Recordings)
OHM Music (Imprint of Black Hole Recordings)
Redux Recordings
DINURE Recordings.. and more

Composer & Film Music Director of world prized films 'God's Daughter Dances' and 'Peafowl'
TV Series 'L.A.'s Finest Season 2 Ep.1 Soundtrack [Casepeat - The Soldiers]'

Casepeat is definitely one of the most promising artists in the electronic dance music scene coming from Asia and we celebrate the release of his track When I saw You on Elpida Music with a brilliant interview that is highly recommended to read it. Enjoy his brilliant answers.

Find When I Saw You here: https://elpida.complete.me/whenisawyou


1-Dimitris: It would be nice to start by telling us your 3 most important achievements or goals fulfilled in your career so far that you very are proud of.

Casepeat: 1. Signed my track Ahmed Helmy's label 'Futurising Music' and Daniel Wanrooy's label of Black Hole Recordings 'Elpida Music' as a electronic music producer. Supported by DJs like Rene Ablaze, Johan Gielen, JES, Andrea Mazza, Euphoric Nation. Kojun... and many more.

2. Composer & Film Music Director of world prized films 'God's Daughter Dances' and 'Peafowl' (France Clermont-Ferrand Film Festival Prized, USA San-Francisco Film Festival Prized... and many more). I usually make soundtracks based on many styles of electronic music.



3. My track appeared at TV Series 'L.A.'s Finest Season 2 Ep.1 Soundtrack [Casepeat - The Soldiers]'.

2-Dimitris: Why and under which circumstances did you took the decision to start DJing or producing electronic dance music?

Casepeat: I was used to produce and have  Hip-Hop gigs about 10 years ago, but many electronic musicians like Skrillex, Zedd, Armin van Buuren, ilan Bluestone, Maor Levi, Above & Beyond influenced me, and I'm more interested in producing electronic dance music and DJing too. I love those sounds which make them more  interesting. :)

3-Can you note down the top 3 producers that have influenced your decision to get involved in the electronic dance music scene and you admire and respect them very much?

Casepeat: As I referred, there are so many producers I love. But Armin van Buuren, ilan Bluestone, & Ahmed Helmy have the biggest influenced on me. And I respect them very much, of course!

4-Dimitris: It would be fantastic to talk about When I saw You released on Elpida Music. Is there a specific unique idea behind it?

Casepeat: I usually try to make something different from the previous releases of mine. So I wanted to make progressive one with rhythmical bassline but beautiful melodies. And I found a great vocal which fit to my track in progress. I really paid attention to making the main lead synth sound.

5-Dimitris: How long it took you to produce it and can u describe the production process in simple steps?

Casepeat: Actually, It was not long that much. It's the one of most enough feeling track to me. I sent to Daniel Wanrooy this track first for signing to Elpida Music, and he loved it thankfully with a little constructive feedback to improve it. So I modified it a little bit and It was done!


6-Dimitris: Did you had any particular difficulties accomplishing that particular track or any specific technical challenges or obstacles that you had to overcome during its production.

Casepeat: Not that hard to me. As I referred, there's a little improvement with Daniel's feedback and I changed the track according to his feedback very soon. I love the improved version too!

7- Dimitris: Which music composition software or hardware you prefer and why? What is your opinion of the latest movement to produce music with more analogue equipment and with less or without any digital software?

Casepeat: I use FL Studio and usually make sound with Serum, Diva, Spire and Sylenth 1 and prefer Waves and Fabfilter series. There are many customizable functions for my taste and sometimes I use ADA8200 for multi-track recording too. And I have some experiences of using hardware synth and effectors like Moog Subsequent 25 and LA610 MK II compressor for recording. I understand they have the classical beauty of the analogue sounds and I think It is a choice of music producers.

8-Dimitris: Do you prefer instrumental dance tracks or you adore vocals? Please explain to us your position and if in your latest production you have vocals tell us how did you choose the specific singer and if it was great to work with her/him?

Casepeat: I love both but prefer with vocals a little more. And my latest track 'When I Saw You' is with female vocal too. I think the vocal has the advantage to deal with the emotions of the  listeners although it needs more efforts in processing.

9-Dimitris: If you really like to produce vocal tracks which vocalist/singer or lyricist on electronic dance music you aspire to work with?

Casepeat: Cari, Emma Hewit, Richard Bedford... there are many great vocals in this scene!

10-Dimitris: Do you believe that artwork on your latest track is good and do you believe that artwork can attract listeners or record buyers? Can you mention the best artwork of a track ever released?

Casepeat: Yes of course! Artwork on Singles and Eps usually reflects the label trade mark and its consistency of the label style and I think colors and something little things like this illustrate what the  release is about. But artist album shows more information of the release a lot. I loved the artwork of ilan Bluestone's 'Impulse' artist album.

11-Dimitris: Can you pick your top 3 record labels including the one released the track that we discuss in this interview and give us a short comment about them?

Casepeat: 1. Elpida Music : One of my favorite record labels. I think Daniel Wanrooy is always trying to bring some hidden gems in this scene. And he always comments about the producer's background of new release, introduces about him or her to fan of Elpida Music. When he asked me a little thing about me (and it is updated in release comments like Beatport, Apple Music... etc.) we had interesting stories too. And Elpida Music has a huge pool of support from Daniel Wanrooy and Black Hole Recordings. It is really important thing when electronic music producer's release their new music. It is a little hard to satisfy their taste for signing your track but I think, It is valuable because of their efforts to promote the releases and support the artists.

2. Futurising Music : Ahmed Helmy's new Future Rave friendly record label and A&R by Bigtopo. I signed my new Future Rave influenced trance track, and I'm waiting for release date. They have fast and detailed work process in my experience, and also they have a great design for release and labels. They also have lots of ASOT supported releases and their visions look bright I think.

3. AVA Recordings : One of my most dream record labels that I have not signed yet. Consistency of perfect releases, massive pool of support, many assets for release artist like guest mix, interview, their brand gigs etc. One of the most big label from Black Hole Recordings and they have huge amount of trance family fans.


12-Dimitris: Do you have your own record label? if yes tell us when did you set it up, the reasons behind this decision and your top 3 releases on the label so far plus 2 or 3 releases that we should look after from your label.

Casepeat: I don't have my own record label but my friends in South Korea have launched their electronic music label called 'DINURE Recordings'. I'd like to introduce 'Strangers In Love by Division One (KR)' and 'Dinure Collection 01 by Wibber, LOFTIER and Green Navy'. And also my track 'Time Break' from the label will be released in June 29th too.

13-Dimitris: Are you planning to complete an album or mix compilation soon? if yes please give us all the details about regarding tracks and how will look and sound like?

Casepeat: I don't have any plan for regular album or mix compilation yet, but Original Motion Picture Soundtrack album of our feature film 'Peafowl' (directed by Byun Sung-Bin) will be released in this year. There are lots of electronic music and experimental stuff in the forthcoming film soundtrack, will be included 15~20 on it. And also recently I produced a lots of Singles / EP tracks. I have signed or released 12 tracks so far and 7 tracks are finished but not signed yet. I have to work more. :)


14-Dimitris:How much time do you spend promoting yourself in your social media and you see this as essential tool for self promotion and getting bookings too? Which social media is the one that seems to work better for you?

Casepeat:  Definitely YES these are essential tools. I use Instagram and Facebook mainly but also use YouTube, SoundCloud Mixcloud too. Sometimes I also get DM in Instagram for work or bookings too.

15-Dimitris: Do you have your own radio show/podcast/twitch stream or Vlog(video blog)? If yes please give us a comment about it and how long it take you to prepare for it and if you are always excited to produce it?

Casepeat:  I had my weekly own radio show called 'Play It Forward' and reached 99 episodes several years before.

It was exciting but I stopped the radio show as I wanted to focus on my own music productions at this moment. But I'm going to continue the radio show in the near future.

16-Dimitris: Do you have any gigs/festival performances confirmed so far for 2023 in which ones are you most excited to perform and why?

Casepeat: As it happened with the radio show, I tried to focus on my own music productions, so I din't have any gigs for the moment. But I'm ready now. I love playing at gigs! So Book me! xD

17-Dimitris: Please share your most funny and most serious incident that happen to you during your DJ performance?

Casepeat: I was performing in a DJ gig at the Korean military consolation in 2019. The crowd was sooo insane and they were enjoying my DJ set! In the middle of the set, too many fans were climbing up the stage and the gigs was stopped for safety reasons. But people were so happy with my DJ set. :)

18. Are you happy with the way that royalties system works particularly regarding streaming revenue? Do you believe that artists get what they deserve from streaming providers/DJs playing your tracks in gigs/radio and selling music in physical formats like CDs/Vinyl or digitally.

Casepeat: To be honest, I think it is too small reward in streaming system for artists. But I don't have proper alternative and is the best by far. Of course I think artists should  get more revenue from streaming services from what they get now.


19-Dimitris: Please note for all the new talents that read this interview to get some inspiration from you any technical tips in relation to your DJing or music productions. Also any piece of personal or music business' advice that has helped you to progress even further and is worth telling to the new upcoming talents.

Casepeat: I still have to work harder and I think there is a long way to go. But if someone loves my music and inspired or influenced by me, those things are the most important and will give me energy to continuie my music. I love to communicate my music and my arts with people. If there are No people, there is No music for me.


20-Dimitris: Many DJs who are producers too they offer online masterclasses or teach to music production courses. If you are offering any of these services please tell us about it.

Casepeat: I'm lecturing music production and DJing at the Music Technology Major on University in Seoul, South Korea from 2023. I don't have any online courses yet but I hope to too!

21-Dimitris: Is there a club classic that you would like to remix or rework in 2023? Do you attempt often to do your own bootlegs of classics?

Casepeat: I'd like to remix popular pop music (not only a club classic), and I sometimes do my own bootlegs too. I have some finished bootleg remixes of some popular songs and my favorite pop music but I didn't release (or upload) them yet.

22-Dimitris: Many artist right now attempt to come closer to their fan base and use the various services in order to offer exclusive content to their most dedicated followers. Do you have any plans to do the same by connecting even more with your most dedicated fans?

Casepeat: Yes of course! why not? But my first thing is to produce music and to release them but I think those stuffs are important too.

23-Dimitris: Can you describe your music as certain music genre such as trance, house, techno or your music exempts these categorizations? What is your opinion about hybrid styles and the artists who are attempting to mix influences from various genres in their tracks?

Casepeat: Recently I produce and release trance and progressive music in trance and progressive. But I did some experiments to mix trance and Korean traditional music in my recent film music score. I think it was cool. It has its own risks for sure but it is valuable!

24-Dimitris: Is your music business your full time occupation and are you able to make a leaving out of your music business (DJ/producer/label owner/teaching or mastering tracks)? If not what other jobs are you doing in order to support your income?

Casepeat: My full time occupation is music business and I have to work more and more. :)


Casepeat: Hi, Flux BPM readers! It is so honored to me being with you and Flux BPM. Thank you for loving my latest release 'When I Saw You' from Elpida Music, and I hope to meet you more and more. :)

Thanks so much to warm hearted Casepeat for this exceptional interview.

Thanks so much to Daniel Wanroy at Elpida Music for arranging this interview.
 
Additional info: