19:57:00
A+ A-

BEST OF 2017 Interview with MBX


Your Name: MBX
Your location(country,city): USA, Boston

Dimitri: Can you mention your biggest music career achievements in 2017?
MBX: Definitely the release of my song "Afterburn" which was featured on several popular radio shows, and sparked many great relationship which I know will help push my sound and career even further.  
Dimitri: Can you mention your biggest personal life achievements in 2017 that make you extremely proud?
DBX: Finishing the build out of my dedicated studio with the help of my buddy and collab partner Ambyt was massive.  It's definitely has been a year of building and growing in all aspects of my life. 
1) Best Track from other artists:
There are so many, but if I had to choose four I would say: 
1. Danilo Ercole - Collider (OHM Music)  



2. Profetik&5ALVO - Lifestream (Freegrant) 



3. Joel Freck ft. Frank Kadillac - Violet Rose (Ride Recordings) 




4. Oliver Smith - Shadows (Anjunabeats)

  

I suppose this is boder-line to call 2017, but still on repeat for me.

2) Your top 3 2017 personal productions
For sure!  
1. Ambyt&MBX - Matcha (Skyfall Recordings) 



2. MBX - Afterburn (Freegrant) 



 3. MBX - Expanse (OHM Music)....you'll have to wait for this one, but I cannot wait for you to hear it!

3) Best Artist (DJ & producer):
Oh man, how do I even narrow this one down, there are so many amazing artists out there, but at least right now the best in my opinion is Oliver Smith; his sound really resonates with me, and he's a great performer when on stage.



4) Best Remix from other artist:
Yeah, this is another hard one for sure; there are so many, so let me pick two at the very least here.  If you haven't heard Alexey Polozok & Hiromori Aso - Tokyo Dreams (Maglev After Dark Remix) (OHM Music), then you need it, it's so good.  



Another one that is a must listen is Skylane - Blueshift (Profetik Remix) it's so hard hitting 



5) Best Remix that you have produced?
Nothing on the official remix list yet for MBX that I can share right now unfortunately.

6) Best Remixer:
Spencer Brown is hands down the best remixer right now.  He has so many under his belt and they are all incredibly good!



7) Best New Talent (Dj or producer):
Profetik, EMATA, Maglev, Ambyt, Theology, and Jackson Snapp are all amazing talents that should be watched closely here in 2018; big things happening for all of them!

8) Best Electronic Music Album:
My passion for electronic dance music all started with Orbital 2 (FFRR); I still go back to it and listen for inspiration (gotta love Halcyon On & On), then later in the scene I was addicted to Gatecrasher compilations.  Today it is Above&Beyond's artist album "We are all you Need" (Anjunabeats) and Vintage & Morelli's My Rose Enchanted Destiny (Silk). 





9) Best Electronic Music Compilation:
Gatecrasher's "Wet" from the past and Anjunabeats and Anjunadeep's yearly compilations are always a go to for me as well.





10) Best artwork/cover of an Album or Compilation:
OHM Music has some really creative artwork, and I like the Anjunadeep recent artwork they been using.

11) Best Lyrics in an Electronic Music track (it can be your production or from other artists)
I feel like this is an area a lot of electronic music falls short; where the lyrics are almost an afterthought but I still think "Counting Down the Days" by Above & Beyond hits the mark.



12) Best Vocalist/Singer featured on Electronic Music track:
Alissa Feudo and Kerry Leva are two vocalist I hope to hear a lot more from!





13) Best Electronic Music Label:
I suppose this, from my perspective, is who has been the most engaged with me personally and also putting out great music.  By far OHM Music has been the most involved and proactive with me, a close second would be Freegrant Music and finally I can't leave out Skyfall Recordings.  Each of these labels has been immense, and should be watched closely in 2018!

14) Best Electronic Music Video:
Where is the old MTV when you need them haha.  I can't really say to be honest, I haven't been watching many music videos lately.

15) Best Online Social media for communication with your fans:
I feel like i should be tweeting more for sure and focusing a bit more on the social aspect of things.  But yeah, instagram, facebook and twitter right now with snapchat being right there as well. 

16) Best music composition software:
To each their own I say; they all work well.  I love Ableton, but have used FL Studio and Logic in the past.

17) Best Club Event or Open Air Festival:
ABGT shows are amazing!  Was in Amsterdam and The Gorge recently for 200 and 250.

18) Best personal Dj Gig:
Focusing on producing right now, and will start taking gigs again in the coming year.

19) Best Dj set of the year from other fellow DJ:
Oliver Smith's and Jason Ross'/Seven Lions sets at ABGT 250 were amazing.





20) Best Radio show or Artist Vlog?:
ABGT, Ride Radio, Afterhours FM with Bryn Liedl, Steven De Sar and so many others. 






21) Best Online Record shop that you purchase your music:
Beatport.com

22) Best music related website that you visit frequently:
Hard to Find Records (www.htfr.co.uk)

23) Best Smart phone or smart phone application:
Spotify

24) Best DJ equipment (software or hardware):
Technics 1210s, Pioneer CDJs, Serato and the combination thereof.

25) Best new sound or sample that has been used in Electronic Music this year perhaps introduced first by you?
Haha this is interesting cause I think we all are influenced by something else we have heards.  I do have a creation that will really become an MBX "sound" if you will in my breakdowns.  Let me know if you can recognize it!

26) Best tip that you learnt this year for your DJing techniques or music composition:
Reference reference reference.

27) Best piece of advice you got in relation to your career in 2017:
I was told by more than one person this year to just keep going and don't give up on your passion.  This has resonated with me and has kept me motivated and in the studio where all of this work must happen.  It's easy to get frustrated and feel unproductive, so you just need to open your DAW and start writing and creating. 

28) Best hobby or activity that you spent a lot of time in 2017:
Music production, which is really more than a hobby now.  Also getting back into cooking a lot more.

29) Best holiday destination for 2017 either to relax or to perform in a club or festival:
Amsterdam and Miami!

30) Best Electronic Music magazines in printed form not online:
MixMag, Flux BPM and EDM Sauce are three I follow.

31) Best Movie of the year that may inspire you to compose a track:
Mira featured in the Banff Mtn Film Festival.  The music and overall feel of the film is unbelievably inspiring.  



32) Best online/PC/video game of the year that you have played this year?
Wish I still had time to play!

33) Best electronic music related joke you heard this year and make you still laugh:
It was probably something from wunderground, those guys are hilarious.

Dimitri: Finally, please tell our readers your plans with your future releases, tracks, albums, collaborations, DJ gigs.
MBX: Please keep you eye on OHM Music, and my upcoming releases on their label!
Thanks to Omair Mirza at OHM Music for arranging this interview.

Additional info: