23:32:00
A+ A-

Best of 2012: Darin Epsilon, from Los Angeles with Love

Name:  Darin Epsilon



Location:  Los Angeles, US

Dimitri: Can you tell us how 2012 has been for the development of your career as a DJ and/or Producer?


Darin Epsilon: I honestly could not have asked for a better year!  There were so many important milestones:  playing two massive festivals for US top promoter Insomniac Events; headlining my first show in Africa; appearing on Nick Warren’s Renaissance compilation; and signing with Nick’s respected label Hope Recordings.

Dimitri: If you look back at 2012, are there any moments in your musical career that you wish you had done differently
in order to get a better outcome?
 
Darin Epsilon: I don’t regret any decision I’ve made thus far.  Every failure has only made me a stronger person and ultimately led me to where I am today.
 
                                  Best of 2012 according to Darin Epsilon


1) Best Track: 
I’m particularly proud of my track ‘Shine The Light’ this year.
 

2) Best Artist (DJ & producer): 
Guy J

3) Best Remix: 
 Sasha remix of Hot Chip ‘Flutes’

4) Best Remixer: 
Dosem

5) Best New Talent (DJ or producer): 
Tough to say, but I’ll go with D-Eye, who just signed with my label Perspectives Digital

 6) Best EDM Album: 
Jody Wisternoff ‘Trails We Blaze’

 
                                                      
                                                      

7) Best EDM Compilation: 
Hernan Cattaneo ‘Renaissance Masters Series’

8) Best artwork/cover of an album or compilation: 
DAVI ‘Labyrinth’ on Perspectives Digital.  It has a very Pink Floyd look to it.

9) Best lyrics on an EDM track: 
 I don’t pay close attention to lyrics.

 10) Best Vocalist/Singer featured on an EDM track: 
Pete Josef
 
                                          

11) Best EDM Label: 
Bedrock

12) Best Music Video: 
Gangnam Style (hahahah!!)

13) Most amusing video on YouTube relating to Dance Music: 
Elders React to Dubstep (feat. Skrillex)… I nearly died of laughter.
 
                                        

14) Best Online Social media network:
 
SoundCloud

 15) Best music composition software: 
Ableton Live

16) Best Event or Open Air Festival: 
 Nocturnal Wonderland

17) Best personal DJ Gig: 
Club Vertigo in Costa Rica.  Sunglasses At Night in Kenya was a close 2nd.
 

18) Best DJ set of the year by another fellow DJ: 
Cora Novoa in Mexico City

19) Best country which you personally have performed in: 
Mexico

20) Best up-for-it crowd: 
It’s a tie between Nairobi, Kenya and Juarez, Mexico

21) Best Radio show: 
 Can I say Perspectives? : )

22) Best Online Record shop for purchasing music: 
Sadly, I only used Beatport this year.

23) Best Website that you regularly visit: 
MakeItInMusic.com.  I only discovered this site recently, but it has some of the best industry tips to keep me focused and motivated.

 24) Best smartphone/mobile phone App or device: 
Whatsapp.  It lets you text anyone internationally for free.

25) Best DJ equipment (software and/or hardware, Mixer, Deck etc): 
Pioneer CDJ2000

26) Best new sound or sample that has been used in EDM this year (possibly introduced by you): 
I used Sasha  Soundlab on almost every track I made this year.

27) Best or most amusing Twitter or Facebook message you have received from a fan or friend or you have read: 
 I’d have to give that one to Lucy in Bucharest.  She sent me some of her own artwork that was inspired by my mixes!

28) Best piece of News this year relating to Electronic Dance Music: 
Swedish House Mafia announcing their breakup.

29) Best personal achievement related to Electronic Dance Music: 
 
My track being included in Nick Warren’s Renaissance album.

30) Best tip that you learnt this year for your DJ’ing or music composition: 
Don’t even think about playing in Colombia without a work permit!

Dimitri: 2013 lies ahead of us. Would you like to tell us your future plans in relation to releases, tracks, albums,
collaborations or DJ gigs?
 
Darin Epsilon: My track ‘Shine The Light’ will be out January 28 on Nick Warren’s Renaissance Masters compilation.  The original mix and Ryan Davis remix will be released two weeks later on Hope Recordings.  One of my other tracks is expected to appear on Hernan Cattaneo’s label Sudbeat Music in March.  Lastly, I plan to remix 16 Bit Lolitas and collaborate on a track with Cid Inc.

Interview is written and conducted by Dimitri Kechagias, Radio/Dj/Music Journalist




Many thanks to Darin Epsilon for his great answers


 
Many thanks to Wilf Libgott at  Hammarica.com for his support to organize this interview
 
 
Many thanks to Paul at 1mix for proofing the questions of this interview
 
 
Additional info: