Flux BPM Online Exclusive interview In Conversation With: N-sKing
Since 2019, he has focused on producing driving, energetic-style trance music, garnering support from numerous DJs both domestically and internationally.
In 2020, he released his first international track, “Crimson Crisis,” on State Control Records, earning support from Paul Van Dyk and making a strong international debut.
He continued to expand his reach, releasing tracks in 2021 on labels such as Regenerate (owned by Sean Tyas), Enhanced (DS-R), Reason Ⅱ Rise Music, and ZYX, and garnering strong support from artists like Andrew Rayel, Giuseppe Ottaviani, Photographer, and Ⅶ Crew Radio. Furthermore, in 2023, he released “Started a Fire” on One Forty Music, the label of Metta & Glyde, and achieved the No. 1 spot on the Beatport Trance Hype Chart for one week, garnering even more attention.
From 2022 to 2023, in addition to producing Uplifting Trance, he served as A&R and podcast host for Infrasonic Recordings while simultaneously producing Progressive Trance and House music. In the Progressive Trance and House genres, he has released tracks on labels such as AVA Recordings and Interplay Records, gradually gaining a growing following in these areas as well.
He is undoubtedly one of the most dynamic Trance DJs and producers not only in Japan but around the world.
Today we are thrilled to sit down with one of the most dynamic forces in the global trance scene, N-sKing. Since bursting onto the international stage in 2020 with his debut track "Crimson Crisis," this Japanese producer has been captivating audiences and top-tier DJs alike with his driving, energetic sound. From topping the Beatport Trance Hype Chart to expanding his sonic palette into Progressive Trance and House, N-sKing's journey is a testament to staying true to one's artistic vision. We caught up with him to discuss his musical roots, his creative process, and his latest collaboration with U-G, "We Made It."
Buy on beatport We Made It by U-G & N-sKing
Click Here to Access the Full Release Options
Dimitris: How did your journey into the electronic dance music (EDM) scene begin, and what were the key influences that shaped your style?
N-sKing:My musical roots are in game music. Then I discovered Raz Nitzan’s Amsterdam Trance, and that was a major turning point for me. It introduced me to a completely different side of electronic music, and that experience has ultimately shaped the music I make today.
Dimitris: What personal values or life philosophies do you carry that also reflect in your music?
N-sKing: When I'm producing, I don't really think about things like that—what matters most is creating the sounds I like.
Dimitris: How has your understanding of the electronic music culture changed from when you started to where you are now?
N-sKing: My taste in music has definitely expanded over the years. I used to be almost exclusively into Trance, but as I explored more music, I started getting into things like Big Room, House, and Breaks too.
Dimitris: Which piece of music equipment or software can you not live without, and why?
N-sKing: Access Virus TI2:It was the first hardware synthesizer I bought when I started my career, and it's still in use today.
Dimitris: Can you share an unforgettable incident from your career—whether funny, unexpected, or challenging?
N-sKing: When I was still relatively unknown, I decided to send a demo to Sean Tyas, even though I honestly didn’t expect much to come from it. But he listened to the music without caring about the name behind it, and judged it purely on its merits. He gave me the opportunity to release it, and that helped introduce my music to a much wider audience. In many ways, that was the starting point of my career.
Dimitris: Could you please elaborate on the inspiration behind your collaboration with U-G for the track We Made It
out now on Fables? How does it align with your current artistic aspirations?
N-sKing: This release is a collaboration with Japanese producer U-G. At the time, I was really feeling the urge to go back to my Euphoric roots, and that feeling connected really naturally with U-G’s sound. I think everything came together really well on this track
Dimitris: Have you produced any new tracks since the one we're discussing in this interview? If so, could you share the inspiration behind them?
N-sKing: Lately, I’ve been developing my sound in a similar direction to this release. I feel that modern Trance can really benefit from bringing back the Euphoric elements of the 2000s. That’s the kind of sound I’ve been wanting to explore and bring into a more modern style.
Dimitris: Could you describe your current approach to music production and how it has evolved over the years?
N-sKing: In a good way or a bad way, I don’t think my core sound has really changed. However, when I’m working on a release for a label, I do make an effort to keep up with current trends and incorporate some of those elements into my music.
Dimitris: What are some of the challenges you face when producing music, and how do you overcome them?
N-sKing: One of my biggest challenges is when I can’t find the right sound design to match the melody. When that happens, I usually step away from the project for a while and come back to it later with fresh ears. Somehow, that usually helps me figure out the right direction and things start to fall into place.
Dimitris:How do you stay motivated and creatively inspired amidst the fast-paced nature of the EDM scene?
N-sKing: For me, it’s all about pursuing the sound that I truly love and staying true to my own taste.
Dimitris: Looking ahead, we're curious about your aspirations. What exciting plans and ambitions are on the horizon for you?
N-sKing: I didn’t have any particular target in mind at first. But at this point, I really want to focus more on the style I love and make more of the music that I truly want to make.
Dimitris: What are your future plans in terms of new releases, collaborations, or live performances?
N-sKing: I might be releasing more Progressive music in addition to Trance. When it comes to DJing, I’m really a producer at heart, so I’m not that interested in pursuing it. But if people want me to DJ, I’d be happy to do it.
Dimitris: Are there any collaborations you dream of, either with other artists or brands, that you haven’t yet explored?
N-sKing: I was talking with Derek Ryan recently. We’ve worked together on various things quite a lot, and he suggested that I should consider collaborating with Rinaly, since she’s also Japanese. I thought that could be a really good idea. I’d also like to try working with someone from Otogra at some point.
Dimitris: How do you incorporate new trends or technologies in your music while maintaining your unique sound?
N-sKing: I achieve that by building on my own style while researching current trends and incorporating elements that I feel fit naturally with my sound.
Dimitris: What message would you like to share with your fans and the broader trance community about your journey and vision?
N-sKing: I have my strengths and weaknesses, but I’ll continue to do things my own way. I’d really appreciate your continued warm support and hope you’ll keep following my journey.
Dimitris: How do you see the current state of the electronic music industry, and what changes would you like to see?
N-sKing: When it comes to Trance, I think it’s probably the most interesting it’s been in the past few years. There’s so much crossover between different genres and styles, and I really enjoy seeing how all these influences are coming together.
Dimitris: What role do you think AI technology plays in the future of electronic music production, and have you experimented with it?
N-sKing: I think it really depends on how you use it. Actually, I tried using AI vocals myself in 2024 and ended up releasing a track with them in 2025. But honestly, I got bored with it pretty quickly, ha! ha!.
Dimitris: How do you feel about the shift towards streaming platforms for music consumption—do you think it's beneficial for artists?
N-sKing: For people who make a living from music, I think it can be a difficult issue, especially when it comes to the financial side of things. But for amateurs like me, I see it more positively, because it can create more opportunities for people to discover and listen to our music.
Dimitris: How important do you find online tutorials and classes for aspiring producers, and do you engage in any form of music education yourself?
N-sKing: Yeah, I often find myself helping other producers from across Asia, and I can definitely say that tutorials are really useful. I actually learned a lot myself by studying tutorials from Steve Allen and Bjorn Akesson, so I know firsthand how valuable they can be.
Dimitris: How do you maintain a balance between your personal life and your music career?
N-sKing: When it comes to my approach to production, I work on music on weekdays. I usually break it up into several one-hour sessions throughout the day. It’s kind of like working out at the gym—I find that doing it in shorter sessions works really well for me.
Dimitris: What advice would you give to aspiring DJs and producers looking to make their mark in the industry?
N-sKing: I think it’s perfectly fine to separate being a DJ and being a producer. You don’t necessarily have to focus on both. I think you should be able to choose the path that suits you best.
Dimitris: What inspired you to transition from producing to DJing, or did both passions develop simultaneously?
N-sKing: Ascent Recordings, the label I work with as a producer, is actually what got me into DJing. But if you ask me whether I’m truly passionate about DJing, I’m not sure I can say that, haha.
Dimitris: Can you walk us through your DJing process—from track selection to live mixing? How do you curate a set that resonates with different audiences?
N-sKing: I’m a producer, so I always try to push my own music as much as I can!
Dimitris: What are some essential DJ techniques you’ve mastered over the years, and how have they evolved with emerging technologies?
N-sKing: I’ve been DJing since I was 13… you can learn everything on technology but reading a crowd is a skill that takes time! Spend more time watching the crowd and interacting than looking down and tweaking an eq!
Dimitris: How do you handle unexpected challenges during a live set, such as equipment malfunctions or shifts in crowd energy?
N-sKing: Don’t blame others, and just focus on the present moment.
Dimitris: What are some essential DJ techniques you’ve mastered over the years, and how have they evolved with emerging technologies?
N-sKing: When it comes to technical stuff, that’s a difficult one for me. I don’t really have any particular answer.
Dimitris: Which mixing style do you prefer—long transitions, quick cuts, harmonic mixing, or another technique? How do you decide which style suits a particular set?
N-sKing: I love long set.
Dimitris: How do you incorporate effects, loops, and EQ adjustments to add depth and dynamics to your live mixes?
N-sKing: I do pay attention to making sure the kicks flow smoothly together.
Dimitris: Do you prefer beatmatching manually or using sync features? How do these choices impact your creative flow during performances?
N-sKing: I don’t really have any particular preference. But if I’ve had a bit too much to drink, I start to worry, so that’s when I’ll use Sync, haha. Most of the time, though, I prefer not to use it.
Dimitris: How do you seamlessly blend different genres or tempos within a set to keep the energy consistent and engaging?
N-sKing: I sometimes like to throw a bit of Breaks into my Trance sets. It’s one of my favorite things to do.
Dimitris: Reflecting on your career, what has been your most memorable DJ set and what made it stand out for you personally?
N-sKing: Honestly, I don’t think there’s anything particularly special. I just focus on doing the best I can with whatever I’m able to do at the time.
Dimitris: Have you ever been inspired or influenced by another DJ’s set that left a lasting impact on your approach to performances? If so, could you share that experience?
N-sKing: Yeah, I really love Sean Tyas’s DJing. I’m especially drawn to his dynamic and energetic style. Paul van Dyk is another DJ whose style I really admire.
Dimitris: What cues do you look for in the crowd to gauge their energy and adjust your set accordingly?
N-sKing: I adjust my approach depending on the crowd. If people are dancing, I’ll play more energetic tracks, while if they’re really immersed in the music, I might take things in a different direction.
Dimitris: How do you handle moments when the crowd’s energy dips? What strategies do you employ to reignite the vibe?
N-sKing: Thankfully, I haven’t really had much experience with that yet. So I guess it’s something I’ll have to think about going forward.
Dimitris: How do you create a unique connection with the audience beyond just playing tracks—do you use visuals, spontaneous track selections, or interact directly with the crowd?
N-sKing: In my case, I try to include more tracks that connect naturally with the music I’m producing.
Dimitris: What DJ equipment or software do you consider indispensable, and why does it hold such significance in your performances?
N-sKing: Yeah, for me, the way I play can change quite a bit depending on how the mixer’s knobs feel. So I’m always happy when a venue has a good-quality mixer. As for the CDJs, I’m fine with pretty much any model.
Dimitris: How do you integrate your own productions into your DJ sets to create a signature live experience?
N-sKing: I always make sure to include at least one unreleased ID in my sets.
Dimitris: How do you manage the creative balance between producing new tracks in the studio and preparing for high-energy DJ gigs?
N-sKing: I’m mainly a producer, so I don’t really overthink it. I just keep things simple.
Dimitris: Does your approach to music production change based on the feedback or experiences you gain from live performances?
N-sKing: In my case, maybe I’m just too used to my own way of doing things, so those kinds of factors don’t really change the way I play. But I’d definitely like to have that kind of experience in the future.
Dimitris: Please tell us your final statement to our readers who will read this interview.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your journey, insights, and experiences with us. Your thoughtful responses will surely inspire and resonate with fans and fellow artists alike. We truly appreciate your contribution to the electronic music community and look forward to witnessing your continued success!
N-sKing: Thank you as well for giving me this opportunity. I’m really happy to be a part of it!
That wraps up our conversation with N-sKing. It is incredibly inspiring to see an artist so dedicated to their core sound while still pushing the boundaries of what modern trance can be. We want to thank him for sharing his insights with us and for continuing to bring that euphoric 2000s energy into today's electronic music landscape. Be sure to check out his new track "We Made It," and keep an eye out for what is next from this exceptional talent.
Thanks so much to Stuart at FSOE for organizing this interview and thanks to N-sKing for his fantastic answers.
Buy on Beatport We Made It by U-G and N-sKing
Click Here to Access the Full Release Options
Connect With N-sKing
Connect With FSOE Recordings
🌐 Official Label Website
📺 Subscribe on YouTube
📸 Follow on Instagram
☁️ SoundCloud Portal
👥 Follow on Facebook
🐦 Follow on X / Twitter
🛒 Shop on Beatport