Flux BPM Online Exclusive interview In Conversation With: Benja Molina
Benja Molina is a Spanish Progressive House DJ and producer established on the international scene, with a global audience spanning Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, Canada, and Sri Lanka. Rooted firmly in Progressive House, his sound is defined by a deep, melodic, and refined approach, maintaining a consistent identity that never exceeds 123 BPM. His sets are known for their storytelling, precision, and ability to deliver long-form emotional journeys on the dancefloor.
Molina's productions have received consistent support from key figures in the genre such as Hernán Cattáneo, Guy J, and Paul van Dyk, alongside recognition from influential platforms like When We Dip. His music has also been featured in sets by artists connected to the Anjunabeats ecosystem, reinforcing his presence within one of the most influential melodic electronic music circles worldwide.
Beyond the club environment, his podcast reached the Top 6 on Ibiza Sónica Radio, strengthening his international reach and artistic identity. He has shared the booth with artists such as PROFF (Russia), Kamilo Sanclemente, Ntchbl (Serbia), and Sébastien Léger, and is a regular at R33 Mallorca events, one of Spain’s leading Progressive House platforms. In addition, he holds a Master’s degree in Music Industry (MBA) and lectures at SAE Institute, contributing to the development of future music industry professionals.
Welcome to our latest interview with Spanish Progressive House DJ and producer Benja Molina. With a global audience spanning from Argentina to Sri Lanka, Benja has built a reputation for his deep, melodic sound. In this interview, we explore his musical journey from collecting vinyl in the late 90s to his current philosophy of prioritizing authenticity over trends. We also dive into his creative process, where improvisation meets precision, and discuss the inspiration behind his latest tracks, Vesna and Naramara, out now on UV Noir.
Buy on beatport Vesna/Naramara by Benja Molina
Click Here to Access the Full Release Options
Dimitris: How did your journey into the electronic dance music (EDM) scene begin, and what were the key influences that shaped your style?
Benja Molina:My journey into electronic dance music began in the early 1990s. Around 1998, I started collecting vinyl records, a habit that deeply shaped my connection to sound and club culture.My influences come from the trance, house, and progressive of those years, as well as from artists who defined that era such as Tony De Vit, Hernán Cattaneo, Paul Oakenfold, and Olav Basoski. Their energy, technique, and musical vision helped shape the style I continue to develop today.
Dimitris: What personal values or life philosophies do you carry that also reflect in your music?
Benja Molina: My music reflects the values that have guided my entire journey: consistency, authenticity, and deep respect for electronic culture. I’ve always believed in working from passion and keeping an honest sonic identity, without chasing trends. I also value human connection for me, music is an emotional bridge that brings people together regardless of their background. That philosophy of building, evolving, and sharing energy is the foundation of every production and every set I create as Benja Molina.
Dimitris: How has your understanding of the electronic music culture changed from when you started to where you are now?
Benja Molina: From the 90s until today, my understanding of electronic music culture has evolved tremendously. I started in a more underground scene, built around community, vinyl, and sonic exploration. Over time, I’ve seen the culture become global, more professional, and more diverse. Even so, I still value its original essence: the search for identity, innovation, and respect for the pioneers. Today, I see electronic music as a living movement in constant transformation, where tradition and forward-thinking coexist and where my role is to keep contributing through my own musical language.
Dimitris: Which piece of music equipment or software can you not live without, and why?
Benja Molina: My setup is quite modest, but exactly what I need. A solid processor on my Mac, Ableton, and a pair of open-back flat‑response headphones give me all the precision and comfort to work properly. For live performances, I prefer Pioneer Nexus 2000 players and the V10 mixer, as they give me the reliability and control I need to deliver my sound confidently.
Dimitris: Can you share an unforgettable incident from your career—whether funny, unexpected, or challenging?
Benja Molina: There was one night when the club was so fired up that people started coming to the booth asking at the same time what track I was playing. As always, I was improvising, and the track was about to end… with nothing prepared. In those last twenty seconds, with the crowd watching and the energy hanging in the air, I managed to build a perfect loop right before the club fell into silence. Everyone thought it was part of the set, but in reality it was pure artistic survival. That moment reminded me that improvisation, when it comes from instinct, can save an entire night.
Dimitris: Could you please elaborate on the inspiration behind your brilliant tracks Vesna and Naramara out now on UV Noir?
Benja Molina: The inspiration behind this track comes from the way I work: pure improvisation, that moment where everything can shift and instinct takes over. I like creating music that breathes tension, movement, and that feeling that something is about to happen. This track reflects exactly that the club’s energy, the connection with the crowd, and that magical moment when, even while people are asking what track is playing, I’m actually creating something new in real time.
On top of that, the medical side where I perform at my best strongly shapes how I produce. It has given me surgical precision for shaping details and crafting those basslines that have become part of my identity. And alongside them, the melodic side, which is where I can truly express my sensitivity and artistic vision. That blend of solid bass and breathing melodies defines my current sound: technical, emotional, and unmistakable.
My artistic goal now is to capture that spontaneity, that technical mindset, and that melodic identity, turning them into a personal style recognized for its drive, emotion, and ability to surprise.
Dimitris: Have you produced any new tracks since the one we're discussing in this interview? If so, could you share the inspiration behind them?
Benja Molina: Yes, I’ve finished two new tracks, and both stay fully aligned with the identity I’m building right now. I haven’t shifted direction at all they keep the same solid bass foundation, the expressive melodic side, and a very detailed approach to sound design. Their inspiration comes from improvisation and from that club energy where every decision matters.
Dimitris: Could you describe your current approach to music production and how it has evolved over the years?
Benja Molina: My current approach is about improvising from what I carry inside. For me, improvisation isn’t just reacting it’s letting what’s already within me surface naturally when I create without filters. Over the years, I’ve learned to trust that impulse, to shape details with precision, and to craft basslines and melodies that form a clear identity. I used to experiment in many directions; now I know exactly what I want to express and how to stay on course without drifting. My evolution has been about finding my own language and strengthening it in every production.
Dimitris: What are some of the challenges you face when producing music, and how do you overcome them?
Benja Molina: One of my biggest challenges is my natural tendency to build layer upon layer in a track. I like working with many elements, and sometimes it becomes a real headache to make everything sit in the right place. I have tracks with 72 individual layers, and managing that amount is crazy every detail matters and every layer needs space to breathe.Sometimes I don’t fully achieve it. The fight between the creative side which pushes me to keep adding ideas and the technical side which demands order, clarity, and precision is probably my biggest challenge.
Dimitris:How do you stay motivated and creatively inspired amidst the fast-paced nature of the EDM scene?
Benja Molina: Sometimes we’re limited by the time we have, and a 24‑hour day feels too short. This year, for example, I moved to a new place and it was stressful; it slows you down, forces you to stop, and makes you prioritize. But when I return to the studio and let myself flow, that inner impulse appears and guides me forward. In such a fast electronic scene, my way of staying inspired is returning to that essence: working from what I feel in the moment and letting what’s inside come through.
Dimitris: Looking ahead, we're curious about your aspirations. What exciting plans and ambitions are on the horizon for you?
Benja Molina: This year, I stepped back from the communication work I was doing for Univack to focus on projects that require fewer hours and allow me to move forward with my own music. I’ll also continue teaching in music schools to spread the essence of Progressive House to upcoming producers, something that motivates me deeply and feels like part of my artistic responsibility.My plan is to grow without losing my essence, keep building my catalogue, and maintain a workflow that lets me move forward clearly and without drifting off my path.
Dimitris: What are your future plans in terms of new releases, collaborations, or live performances?
Benja Molina: Looking ahead, I have several collaborations already confirmed and others on the way. One of them is with one of my go‑to vocalists someone who inspires me and, at the same time, puts healthy pressure on me to deliver something as polished and solid as possible. I’m also working with new labels that align with the sonic identity I’m shaping.
Dimitris: Are there any collaborations you dream of, either with other artists or brands, that you haven’t yet explored?
Benja Molina: Absolutely. A dream collaboration would be working with the major figures of the genre: Hernán Cattáneo, Guy J, and many others who have shaped Progressive House. Whether creating a track together or remixing one of theirs, it would be a huge experience and an artistic challenge I’d love to take on someday. They’re artists I deeply admire and represent the level I aim to reach.
And beyond artists, there’s a place I’d love to experience from the inside: Balance Croatia. I feel it represents the essence of everything we’ve been talking about music, connection, energy, and that progressive spirit that inspires me. Being part of something like that would be a dream come true.
Dimitris: How do you incorporate new trends or technologies in your music while maintaining your unique sound?
Benja Molina: I’ve experimented with creating my own vocals using AI text, tone, intention… it’s like being able to tell it in full detail exactly what I want. That hybrid part between my production and technology has turned out great and allowed me to explore ideas that were harder to achieve before.Even so, I only incorporate new trends or tools when they genuinely add something to my identity. I keep my essence: solid basslines, expressive melodies, and carefully built layers. If a technology fits my way of working, I adapt it; if not, I stay on my path. The key is evolving without losing coherence, letting new elements complement my sound rather than replace it.
Dimitris: What message would you like to share with your fans and the broader trance community about your journey and vision?
Benja Molina: The path is not immediate. I’ve always been a hard worker. I believed in myself when no one else did, even when it seemed like my music didn’t fit in my own territory. I was convinced that, even if it wasn’t consumed here, the moment would come when someone thousands of kilometers away would listen and connect with it.We started with very few people… and now there are many thousands. That growth didn’t happen overnight it came from persistence, from trusting what I carry inside, and from never drifting away from my essence.The message is simple: believe in yourself. It may sound like a cliché, but it’s the energy you have within that will
move you, sustain you when no one else does, and take you exactly where you’re meant to be.
Dimitris: How do you see the current state of the electronic music industry, and what changes would you like to see?
Benja Molina: Technology has democratized everything: today anyone can become a DJ or producer with very few resources. In a way, that’s positive because it opens doors and allows more people to experiment. But it has also led to a very low overall quality, especially among newer generations. Many approach it like influencers, as a trend or a fashion, not out of real love for music or respect for electronic culture. There’s often a lack of work, criteria, and true dedication.I’d like to see more commitment to sound, identity, and artistic depth. Less immediacy and more genuine passion for what we do.
Dimitris: What role do you think AI technology plays in the future of electronic music production, and have you experimented with it?
Benja Molina: Yes, as I mentioned earlier, I’ve experimented with AI only for vocals text, tone, intention… always as a secondary tool, never as the main element. I enjoy exploring, but I still believe in human talent and the real sensitivity of a producer. Besides, tracks made 100% with artificial intelligence tend to sound flat, without dynamics, lacking that energy that only appears when there’s a human soul behind them. For me, AI is a complement, not a replacement.
Dimitris: How do you feel about the shift towards streaming platforms for music consumption—do you think it's beneficial for artists?
Benja Molina: Well, the first thing is that we have no control over them. Streaming has changed how music is consumed, but I don’t see a direct benefit for the artist. It’s a clear debate… and we lose it. Platforms favor quantity, immediacy, and algorithms, not the deep work or the identity of the producer. You reach more people, yes, but the real compensation is minimal, and the system isn’t designed to value the effort behind each track.
Dimitris: How important do you find online tutorials and classes for aspiring producers, and do you engage in any form of music education yourself?
Benja Molina: Back then we were autodidacts curious, learning through trial and error. Now there’s an oversaturation of information: thousands of tutorials, thousands of opinions, and sometimes that creates more confusion than clarity. Tutorials and online classes can be useful for understanding tools or basic concepts, but they don’t replace real experience or the artistic criteria you develop by actually doing the work.In my case, I teach occasionally at SAE Institute, and there we focus on things you can’t learn from a YouTube video: identity, sensitivity, artistic direction, how to build your own sound, how to think like a producer rather than just a technician. Technique matters, but it’s not what makes you an artist. What truly sets you apart is what you carry inside and how you turn it into music.
Dimitris: How do you maintain a balance between your personal life and your music career?
Benja Molina: Balance is often difficult, but for me music is also an escape. I’ve always put a lot of energy into it, although my vision isn’t the same as when I started. Over time you realize that a creative person doesn’t struggle to create, but is deeply influenced by their emotional states. That shapes you. In the end, your life story becomes part of the music you make what you’ve lived, what you feel, and the moment you’re in all leave a mark on every track.
Dimitris: What advice would you give to aspiring DJs and producers looking to make their mark in the industry?
Benja Molina: Be as genuine as possible. Forget about mashups and bootlegs they don’t build identity. Focus on finding your own sound, your own way of expressing something, and don’t get carried away by new styles or short‑lived trends. The only thing that lasts is what truly comes from within.
Dimitris: What inspired you to transition from producing to DJing, or did both passions develop simultaneously?
Benja Molina: I started as a DJ. That was my entry point: the global vision, the club energy, understanding how a dancefloor works and how people connect with music. But eventually I reached a moment where I thought: I don’t want to just play the music I love… I want to create it myself. That’s when the need to produce was born to build my own language and contribute something personal to the scene that shaped me.
Dimitris: Can you walk us through your DJing process—from track selection to live mixing? How do you curate a set that resonates with different audiences?
Benja Molina: I always have a very clear idea of the music I select. Before each set I prepare a careful selection, but once I’m in the club I always improvise. If I didn’t, I’d get bored. I need that element of surprise, those live mixes that are never the same but still carry a narrative. For me, a DJ set has to breathe, adapt to the crowd, and evolve with the energy of the moment.
Dimitris: What are some essential DJ techniques you’ve mastered over the years, and how have they evolved with emerging technologies?
Benja Molina: Over the years I’ve mastered the essentials: clean mixing, energy control, narrative flow, and reading the crowd. For me, the most important thing has always been understanding how music breathes and how one track connects to the next. New technologies make everything more accessible and precise, but the foundation remains the same: criteria, sensitivity, and knowing when and how to move the audience. Technique evolves, but the essence doesn’t.
Dimitris: How do you handle unexpected challenges during a live set, such as equipment malfunctions or shifts in crowd energy?
Benja Molina: I think all of us have been through those situations. Sometimes things fail that are completely out of our control: CDJ displays going dark, monitors cutting out, or the crowd’s energy shifting suddenly. The key is staying calm, adapting, and moving forward. Experience teaches you to react quickly and keep the narrative alive, even when the gear decides not to cooperate.
Dimitris: What are some essential DJ techniques you’ve mastered over the years, and how have they evolved with emerging technologies?
Benja Molina: When it comes to technical stuff, that’s a difficult one for me. I don’t really have any particular answer.
Dimitris: Which mixing style do you prefer—long transitions, quick cuts, harmonic mixing, or another technique? How do you decide which style suits a particular set?
Benja Molina: For me it’s a combination of everything and the moment. I don’t stick to one single style: long transitions, quick cuts, harmonic mixing… it all depends on the energy and what I want to transmit. What I do know is that I need to feel it physically I’m the kind of DJ who almost needs to dance while playing. That body‑to‑music connection is what guides me when choosing how to mix each set.
Dimitris: How do you incorporate effects, loops, and EQ adjustments to add depth and dynamics to your live mixes?
Benja Molina: Honestly, I use very few effects. In my sets I almost never rely on them. I prefer the narrative and the energy to come from the music selection and the way I connect the tracks. For me, depth doesn’t come from stacking effects, but from how the music flows and how I feel it in real time.
Dimitris: Do you prefer beatmatching manually or using sync features? How do these choices impact your creative flow during performances?
Benja Molina: Always manual. For me it’s part of the DJ’s essence: feeling the tempo, adjusting, breathing with the music. It keeps me connected and present. That choice shapes my creative process because it forces me to be inside the mix, not on autopilot. It gives me freedom, energy, and a more organic way to build the narrative.
Dimitris: How do you seamlessly blend different genres or tempos within a set to keep the energy consistent and engaging?
Benja Molina: I always stay within the same musical line. There’s no change of genre, but I play with tension and release. That dynamic is what keeps the energy alive and engaging. I don’t need to switch styles to surprise I do it through the narrative, through how I build and release energy throughout the set.
Dimitris: Reflecting on your career, what has been your most memorable DJ set and what made it stand out for you personally?
Benja Molina: There have been several. One at a festival in Portugal a few years ago, where the connection with the crowd was incredible. And another in a club in Mallorca with an outstanding sound system the kind that surrounds you and makes everything flow perfectly. Both moments marked a before and after for me.
Dimitris: Have you ever been inspired or influenced by another DJ’s set that left a lasting impact on your approach to performances? If so, could you share that experience?
Benja Molina: Guy J... Hernán Cattaneo, Brunch Madrid, magic for me.
Dimitris: What cues do you look for in the crowd to gauge their energy and adjust your set accordingly?
Benja Molina: I feed off their faces, how they dance, how they react. That’s fundamental. When the energy drops, I observe, adjust, and find the exact point to reconnect with them. The dancefloor always gives you signals you just need to know how to read them.
Dimitris: How do you handle moments when the crowd’s energy dips? What strategies do you employ to reignite the vibe?
Benja Molina: I feed off their faces and how they dance. That’s essential to know where to take the set and bring the atmosphere back up.
Dimitris: How do you create a unique connection with the audience beyond just playing tracks—do you use visuals, spontaneous track selections, or interact directly with the crowd?
Benja Molina: Through the energy of the moment. I read the dancefloor, improvise, and let the music flow with me. I haven’t added screens or visual elements to my sets yet — they can be impressive, but for me they’re optional. The connection comes from being present and feeling what’s happening in front of me.
Dimitris: What DJ equipment or software do you consider indispensable, and why does it hold such significance in your performances?
Benja Molina: I stick to the basics: CDJs and a solid mixer. That’s all I need to feel in control and comfortable during my sets.
Dimitris: How do you integrate your own productions into your DJ sets to create a signature live experience?
Benja Molina: I like mixing my tracks with music from other artists. I never play two of my own songs back‑to‑back; I prefer them to breathe within the set without taking too much spotlight.
Dimitris: How do you manage the creative balance between producing new tracks in the studio and preparing for high-energy DJ gigs?
Benja Molina: I take few gigs so I don’t burn out. That way the energy I release in each set is stronger and more genuine.
Dimitris: Does your approach to music production change based on the feedback or experiences you gain from live performances?
Benja Molina: Yes, definitely. Live experiences always influence me. If something connects strongly with the crowd, I keep it in mind when I’m back in the studio, but without letting it limit my identity.
Dimitris: Please tell us your final statement to our readers who will read this interview.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your journey, insights, and experiences with us. Your thoughtful responses will surely inspire and resonate with fans and fellow artists alike. We truly appreciate your contribution to the electronic music community and look forward to witnessing your continued success!
Benja Molina: Enjoy music without filters and follow your own path. Some people will see you as a threat or as competition, but don’t let that distract you; you can’t control how others perceive you. Listen to a lot of good music, and always support those who are just starting out.
Thank you for joining us for this conversation with Benja Molina. It has been inspiring to hear how he balances his artistic vision with his work as a lecturer at SAE Institute, all while preparing for upcoming collaborations and new label signings. We hope you enjoyed this glimpse into his dedication to the Progressive House genre. Be sure to check out his latest releases and keep an eye on his future projects!
Thanks so much to Stuart and Paul at FSOE for organizing this interview and thanks to Benja Molina for his fantastic answers.
Buy on beatport Vesna/Naramara by Benja Molina
Click Here to Access the Full Release Options
Connect With BENJA MOLINA
🎵 Follow on Spotify
👥 Follow on Facebook
☁️ SoundCloud Portal
📸 Follow on Instagram
Connect With UV / UV Noir
Connect With FSOE Recordings
🌐 Official Label Website
📺 Subscribe on YouTube
📸 Follow on Instagram
☁️ SoundCloud Portal
👥 Follow on Facebook
🐦 Follow on X / Twitter
🛒 Shop on Beatport