Flux BPM Online Exclusive interview In Conversation With: SEYCEL
Seycel is a Cuban-born, Mexico City-based DJ and producer shaping a distinctive sound within the Progressive House and Organic House scene.
His music is defined by deep atmospheres, hypnotic grooves and emotional melodic narratives, balancing introspection with dancefloor energy. His productions have been released through respected labels including The Soundgarden, UV Noir, 3rd Avenue, Purrfection, Krafted, Luum Records, and more.
His music has received support from leading artists including Hernán Cattaneo, Aly and Fila, Nick Muir and Mariano Mellino, among others, placing his productions in the hands of key figures within the international progressive scene.
Seycel is also the founder of Parallel Groove, a platform and label focused on Progressive and Organic House, further establishing his vision and contribution to the scene.
With a growing international catalogue and a clear artistic identity, Seycel continues to push forward with one goal: creating music that connects beyond the dancefloor.
In this interview, we sit down with Cuban-born, Mexico City-based DJ and producer Seycel to discuss his distinctive journey within the Progressive House and Organic House scene. Seycel shares the philosophy behind his deeply emotional and atmospheric sound, his approach to music production using Ableton Live, and the influences that have shaped his artistic identity. We also explore his work with his label, Parallel Groove, and how he stays motivated in the fast-paced electronic music industry.
Buy on beatport seycel - Bright Things / Dust & Distance
Click Here to Access the Full Release Options
Dimitris: How did your journey into the electronic dance music (EDM) scene begin, and what were the key influences that shaped your style?
Seycel:My journey into electronic music started from a genuine fascination with the way music can create emotions and tell stories without words. Over time, that curiosity evolved from simply listening to electronic music into DJing and eventually into production, which allowed me to develop my own musical language.
Progressive House became the natural direction for me because of its depth, atmosphere and ability to build an emotional journey. Artists such as Hernán Cattaneo, Guy J, Nick Warren, Sasha and Guy Mantzur have been important influences, not only because of their sound, but because of the way they approach music as a journey rather than simply a dancefloor tool.
Today, I try to take those influences as a foundation while continuing to develop my own identity through deep grooves, melodic elements, organic textures and a strong emotional component.
Dimitris: What personal values or life philosophies do you carry that also reflect in your music?
Seycel: I believe in patience, consistency and authenticity. I have learned that building something meaningful takes time, and that staying true to your own vision is more important than trying to follow every trend.
That philosophy is reflected in my music. I don’t try to create tracks simply to fit into what is currently popular. I want each production to have an atmosphere, an emotion and a reason to exist. For me, music is about creating a connection — sometimes subtle and introspective, sometimes powerful — but always genuine.
I also believe that growth comes from constantly learning and challenging yourself. That mindset has shaped both my career and my approach to production, and it is something I want to continue carrying into everything I do as Seycel.
Dimitris: How has your understanding of the electronic music culture changed from when you started to where you are now?
Seycel: When I started, I was mainly fascinated by the music itself — the sound, the energy and the emotion it could create. As I became more involved in the scene, I realized that electronic music is much more than what happens in a club or behind a DJ booth. It is a culture built around community, creativity, identity and constant evolution.
Today, I have a much deeper understanding of what it means to be an artist. I have learned that developing a career is not only about making good music, but also about building relationships, staying consistent, supporting the scene and, most importantly, developing an identity that feels authentic.
I think that perspective has changed the way I approach both my music and my career. I no longer see music simply as something I produce — I see it as a long-term journey.
Dimitris: Which piece of music equipment or software can you not live without, and why?
Seycel: Without a doubt, Ableton Live. It has become much more than just a DAW for me; it is the environment where I translate ideas, emotions and experiences into music.
What I love about Ableton is the freedom it gives me to experiment. I can start with something as simple as a melody or a groove and slowly build an entire atmosphere around it. My goal is never just to make a technically correct track — I want to create a feeling, and Ableton gives me the flexibility to explore that process in my own way.
Dimitris: Can you share an unforgettable incident from your career—whether funny, unexpected, or challenging?
Seycel:One of the most challenging and memorable parts of my career has been learning to keep moving forward even when things don’t happen as quickly as I would like.
There have been moments when I have questioned my direction, especially when I was putting a lot of time and energy into my music without immediately seeing the results I hoped for. But those moments taught me something very important: a career in music is built over time, and sometimes the progress you don’t see immediately is actually the most valuable.
Looking back, those challenges helped me become more patient, more disciplined and much more confident in my own artistic identity.
Dimitris: we'd love to hear about what you're working on right now. Your current projects offer a glimpse into your creative process and artistic evolution.
Seycel: At the moment, I am focused on several projects that represent an important new chapter for me as an artist.
I am continuing to develop my own music and upcoming releases within the Progressive House and Organic House scene, while also working on new collaborations and productions for different labels.
One of my main focuses is Parallel Groove, my own label and platform dedicated to Progressive House and Organic House. The project is a way for me to contribute to the scene not only as a producer and DJ, but also as a curator, creating a space for artists and music that share the same vision.
At the same time, I am working on new music, preparing future releases and continuing to develop my sound and presence internationally.
Dimitris: Have you produced any new tracks lately? If so, could you share the inspiration behind them?
Seycel: Yes. I’m constantly working on new music, and recently I’ve been exploring a deeper and more emotional side of my sound. Some of these productions are inspired by personal experiences, different moments in life and the emotions that come with them.
I’ve also been experimenting more with atmosphere, organic textures and subtle melodic elements, while keeping the groove and progressive flow that define my sound. For me, every new track is an opportunity to explore something different without losing the identity I’ve been building as Seycel.
Dimitris: Could you describe your current approach to music production and how it has evolved over the years?
Seycel: My approach has become much more focused on emotion and storytelling. In the beginning, I was very focused on the technical side of production — making everything sound clean, learning the tools and understanding how to build a track. Those fundamentals are still important, but today I put much more attention into the feeling behind the music.
I try to start with an idea, a groove, a melody or even a particular atmosphere and let the track develop naturally. I’ve also learned to be more patient with the process and not force ideas that don’t feel right.
For me, production is no longer just about finishing a track. It’s about creating something that represents where I am as an artist at that particular moment.
Dimitris: What are some of the challenges you face when producing music, and how do you overcome them?
Seycel: One of the biggest challenges is knowing when to stop. As producers, it’s very easy to keep changing things because we always feel that something could be better. I’ve learned that sometimes the best decision is to step away from the track, give it some time and come back with fresh ears.
Another challenge is maintaining creativity while also dealing with the technical and business side of being an artist. I try to separate those processes as much as possible. When I’m creating, I want to focus on the music and the emotion rather than thinking about charts, labels or expectations.
Taking breaks, listening to music outside of my own genre and simply giving myself space to experience life are also important parts of staying creative.
Dimitris:How do you stay motivated and creatively inspired amidst the fast-paced nature of the EDM scene?
Seycel: I try not to measure my journey against the speed of the scene. Electronic music moves incredibly fast, with new releases, trends and artists appearing every day, but I believe that developing a lasting artistic identity takes time.
I stay motivated by focusing on the things I can control: improving my production, creating music that I genuinely believe in, connecting with other artists and continuing to build my own projects.
I also remind myself why I started making music in the first place. Whenever I reconnect with that feeling, the motivation comes back naturally. I would rather build something authentic and lasting than constantly chase what is happening at the moment.
Dimitris: Looking ahead, we're curious about your aspirations. What exciting plans and ambitions are on the horizon for you?
Seycel: My main ambition is to continue developing Seycel as a strong and recognizable international artist, while staying true to the sound and identity I have been building. I want to take my music to new audiences, play in more international venues and connect with people and artists who share the same passion for Progressive and Organic House. At the same time, I want to continue developing Parallel Groove as a platform that can contribute something meaningful to the scene. Ultimately, my goal is not simply to become bigger, but to build something that has longevity — music, projects and relationships that continue to grow over time.
Dimitris: What are your future plans in terms of new releases, collaborations, or live performances?
Seycel: I have several new productions in the works and I’m focused on building a consistent release schedule while continuing to work with labels that understand and support my sound.
I’m also open to collaborations with artists who share a similar musical vision, and I would love to explore more live opportunities internationally. Performing and connecting with an audience is an important part of where I want to take the project next.
Alongside my own releases, I’m also preparing new projects through Parallel Groove, with the intention of creating a platform that can grow together with other artists and contribute to the Progressive and Organic House community.
Dimitris: Are there any collaborations you dream of, either with other artists or brands, that you haven’t yet explored?
Seycel: There are definitely artists I would love to collaborate with, especially artists who have influenced my musical journey. Working with someone like Hernán Cattaneo, Guy J, Nick Warren or Guy Mantzur would be a dream, not only because of their incredible music, but because I deeply respect their artistic vision and contribution to the scene.
I’m also interested in collaborations beyond music — particularly with brands connected to technology, fashion, visual arts and culture. I believe those collaborations can create experiences that go beyond a traditional music release.
For me, the most important thing is that any collaboration feels authentic and has a genuine creative connection.
Dimitris: How do you incorporate new trends or technologies in your music while maintaining your unique sound?
Seycel: I’m always curious about new technology and new ways of creating music, but I try to see technology as a tool rather than something that defines the music itself.
I experiment with new software, sounds and production techniques when they can help me express an idea, but I always come back to the elements that define my identity: atmosphere, groove, melody, depth and emotion.
The scene is constantly changing, and I think it’s important to evolve with it without losing your essence. For me, innovation means learning new things while still making music that sounds like Seycel.
Dimitris: What message would you like to share with your fans and the broader trance community about your journey and vision?
Seycel: My message is simple: trust your journey and don’t be afraid to take your time. Every artist has a different path, and success doesn’t always happen at the speed we expect.
I’ve learned that staying consistent, believing in your sound and continuing to improve can take you much further than constantly trying to follow what everyone else is doing.
I want my music to be a reflection of that philosophy — authentic, emotional and built to last. And to everyone who has supported my music along the way, I’m truly grateful. This journey is not only about where I want to go, but also about the people who have been part of it.
Dimitris: How do you see the current state of the electronic music industry, and what changes would you like to see?
Seycel: I think electronic music is in a very interesting moment. There are more artists, more technology and more ways than ever to release and discover music. That creates incredible opportunities, but it also makes it more difficult for artists to stand out and for genuinely great music to receive the attention it deserves.
I would like to see more focus on artistic identity and quality rather than numbers, algorithms and short-term trends. I also think the industry can continue becoming more supportive of emerging artists and create more opportunities for new voices to be discovered.
At the end of the day, technology should help the culture grow without taking away the human connection that makes electronic music special.
Dimitris: What role do you think AI technology plays in the future of electronic music production, and have you experimented with it?
Seycel: I think AI will become an increasingly important tool in music production, but I don’t believe it will replace the artistic vision behind the music. For me, the most important part of creating music is the human experience — the emotions, ideas and personal stories that give a track its identity.
I have experimented with AI as a tool for inspiration, organization and exploring ideas, but I prefer to use it as an assistant rather than allowing it to make the creative decisions for me.
I see AI as another technological evolution, similar to the way new synthesizers, plugins and production tools have changed music over the years. The technology will continue to evolve, but the artist’s identity and emotional intention will always be what gives the music meaning.
Dimitris: How do you feel about the shift towards streaming platforms for music consumption—do you think it's beneficial for artists?
Seycel: I think streaming has completely changed the way people discover and consume music, and overall I believe it has created incredible opportunities for independent artists. Today, an artist can reach listeners anywhere in the world without necessarily needing the traditional industry structure that existed years ago.
At the same time, I think there are challenges. With so much music being released every day, it can be difficult for artists to get meaningful attention, and the financial side of streaming can still be challenging for independent musicians.
For me, streaming is an important part of the ecosystem, but I don’t think it should be the only measure of an artist’s success. A strong artistic identity, a loyal audience, live experiences and a connection with the community are equally important.
Dimitris: How important do you find online tutorials and classes for aspiring producers, and do you engage in any form of music education yourself?
Seycel: I think online education has completely changed the way aspiring producers can learn. Today, you can access an incredible amount of knowledge from producers and artists around the world, which was much harder to find when I started.
I still believe, however, that learning music production is not only about watching tutorials. You have to experiment, make mistakes, finish tracks and develop your own ear. That’s where real growth happens.
I’m also a strong believer in sharing knowledge. Whenever I have the opportunity to help other producers, I enjoy sharing what I have learned through my own experience. I think the electronic music community becomes stronger when artists help each other grow.
Dimitris: How do you maintain a balance between your personal life and your music career?
Seycel: Finding balance is something I have learned to value more as my career has developed. Music is a huge part of my life, but it is important for me to remember that I am more than just an artist.
I try to protect time for the people and things that matter to me, disconnect when I need to and avoid making every moment about music or work. I’ve also learned that taking a step back can actually make me more creative when I return to the studio.
For me, having a healthy balance doesn’t mean separating my personal life from my music completely. My experiences, emotions and the people around me are actually part of what inspires my music. I think the key is making sure that the career grows alongside your life, rather than allowing it to consume it.
Dimitris: What advice would you give to aspiring DJs and producers looking to make their mark in the industry?
Seycel: My biggest advice is to focus on developing your own identity instead of trying to become a copy of someone else. There will always be trends, successful artists and sounds that seem to be working, but your biggest asset is having something that people can recognize as your own.
Be patient, keep learning, finish your music and don’t be afraid of rejection. Not every track will be signed, not every DJ will play your music and not every opportunity will happen when you expect it to. What matters is continuing to improve and staying consistent.
I would also encourage artists to understand that building a career is not only about making music. Networking, supporting other artists, performing, creating a community and presenting yourself professionally are all part of the journey.
Dimitris: What inspired you to transition from producing to DJing, or did both passions develop simultaneously?
Seycel: For me, DJing and production have always been deeply connected. One naturally influenced the other. As a DJ, I became fascinated with the way different tracks could create a journey when placed together, and that eventually pushed me deeper into production because I wanted to understand how those sounds were created and, ultimately, create my own.
At the same time, producing changed the way I approach DJing. When you understand the structure, energy and details behind a track, you listen to music differently and you become much more intentional with your selections.
Today, I see myself as both a DJ and producer, and I believe the two sides of the artist continuously influence and strengthen each other.
Dimitris: Can you walk us through your DJing process—from track selection to live mixing? How do you curate a set that resonates with different audiences?
Seycel: For me, building a DJ set starts long before I enter the booth. I spend a lot of time listening to music, discovering new artists and organizing tracks according to their energy, mood and emotional character rather than simply their BPM.
When I prepare a set, I think about it as a journey. I want the music to breathe and evolve naturally, starting from the right place and gradually taking the audience somewhere else. I pay close attention to how each track interacts with the next one, looking for connections through groove, melody, atmosphere and energy.
Once I’m playing, I also try not to be completely attached to a predetermined plan. The audience is part of the set, so I listen to the room and adapt. Sometimes the best moments happen when you take an unexpected direction and allow the music to guide you.
Dimitris: What are some essential DJ techniques you’ve mastered over the years, and how have they evolved with emerging technologies?
Seycel: Over the years, I’ve developed a strong focus on beatmatching, phrasing, harmonic mixing, and, most importantly, understanding the energy of a set. For me, DJing is not only about technical precision but about knowing when to introduce, develop, and release tension.
Technology has made the process more flexible and precise, giving DJs more creative tools, but I still believe that the fundamentals are essential. I use technology to enhance my musical decisions rather than replace them.
Dimitris: How do you handle unexpected challenges during a live set, such as equipment malfunctions or shifts in crowd energy?
Seycel: I try to remain calm and adaptable. Unexpected situations are part of performing live, so I believe preparation is just as important as the ability to react in the moment.
If there is a technical problem, I focus on keeping the music flowing and having a backup option whenever possible. When it comes to changes in crowd energy, I pay close attention to how people are responding and adjust my selection accordingly. A good DJ should be able to read the room without losing their own musical identity.
Dimitris: Which mixing style do you prefer—long transitions, quick cuts, harmonic mixing, or another technique? How do you decide which style suits a particular set?
Seycel: My preference is definitely for long, progressive transitions. I enjoy giving tracks enough space to breathe and allowing the energy to evolve naturally. Harmonic mixing is also very important to me because it helps create a more emotional and coherent journey.
That said, I don’t follow a fixed formula. The context of the set, the venue, the crowd, and the energy of the moment all influence my decisions. I like to build a story rather than simply move from one track to another.
Dimitris: How do you incorporate effects, loops, and EQ adjustments to add depth and dynamics to your live mixes?
Seycel: I use effects, loops, and EQ mainly as subtle tools to enhance the transition and create movement, rather than using them just for the sake of showing technical skills. In progressive music, I think restraint is very important.
I often use EQ to create space between tracks, especially around the low frequencies, while loops and effects can help extend a phrase or build tension when the moment calls for it. Everything has to serve the flow of the set and, ultimately, the emotion of the music.
Dimitris: Do you prefer beatmatching manually or using sync features? How do these choices impact your creative flow during performances?
Seycel: I’m comfortable with both, but I believe understanding manual beatmatching is essential for any DJ. It teaches you to truly listen to the music and understand timing, phrasing, and rhythm.
Nowadays, I’m not against using sync when it helps me focus more on the creative side of the performance. For me, technology should make the process more efficient, allowing me to concentrate on track selection, transitions, energy, and storytelling rather than turning the performance into a technical exercise.
Dimitris: How do you seamlessly blend different genres or tempos within a set to keep the energy consistent and engaging?
Seycel: I usually don’t think in terms of simply changing genres or BPM. I think about energy, emotion, atmosphere, and musical compatibility. Even when the tempo changes, there should be a musical connection between the tracks.
I like to use gradual transitions, harmonic relationships, breakdowns, percussion, and carefully selected tracks to move the audience from one mood to another. In my sets, the journey is more important than the BPM itself.
Dimitris: Reflecting on your career, what has been your most memorable DJ set and what made it stand out for you personally?
Seycel: One of the most memorable experiences for me has been playing a set where I felt a genuine connection between the music and the people in front of me. What made it special was not necessarily the size of the venue, but the way the audience followed the journey I was creating.
Those moments remind me why I became a DJ in the first place. When you can build an atmosphere, take people somewhere emotionally, and feel that they are completely connected to the music, that is what makes a set truly memorable for me.
Dimitris: Have you ever been inspired or influenced by another DJ’s set that left a lasting impact on your approach to performances? If so, could you share that experience?
Seycel: Absolutely. Artists such as Hernán Cattaneo, Guy J, Nick Warren, and other pioneers of the progressive scene have had a strong influence on the way I understand DJing.
What I learned from listening to their sets is that a great performance is not about playing as many tracks or making the biggest technical moves. It is about patience, selection, progression, and creating a story that keeps the audience emotionally involved.
That philosophy has become an important part of my own approach. I want my sets to feel like a journey, where every track has a purpose and every transition contributes to the bigger picture.
Dimitris: What cues do you look for in the crowd to gauge their energy and adjust your set accordingly?
Seycel: I pay attention to the overall movement and reaction of the crowd, but I also look for more subtle cues. Their body language, how engaged they are during breakdowns, how they react when a new groove comes in, and whether the energy is building or starting to drop all tell me something.
I don’t believe in forcing a reaction. Instead, I try to understand what the room is asking for and make small adjustments to the music. Sometimes the right decision is to increase the intensity, while other times it is better to create space and let the audience breathe.
Dimitris: How do you create a unique connection with the audience beyond just playing tracks—do you use visuals, spontaneous track selections, or interact directly with the crowd?
Seycel: For me, the connection starts with the music itself. I don’t feel that I need to constantly interact with the crowd or rely on visuals to create a connection. My main goal is to communicate through the selection, the progression, and the emotions within the set. I also leave room for spontaneity. Even if I prepare a general direction before a performance, I’m always willing to change the plan if I feel that the audience is responding differently. That interaction between the DJ, the music, and the crowd is what makes every set unique.
Dimitris: How do you handle moments when the crowd’s energy dips? What strategies do you employ to reignite the vibe?
Seycel: I don’t see a drop in energy as necessarily being a problem. Sometimes it is part of the journey. In progressive music, tension and release are extremely important, so I may use that moment to create anticipation rather than immediately trying to make the set bigger.
If I feel that the energy really needs to be lifted, I’ll carefully introduce a stronger groove, a more recognizable emotional element, or a track with greater impact. The key is not to panic or make a sudden change that doesn’t fit the story. I prefer to rebuild the energy naturally.
Dimitris: What DJ equipment or software do you consider indispensable, and why does it hold such significance in your performances?
Seycel: For me, the most important thing is having a reliable setup that allows me to focus completely on the music. I’ve worked with different DJ systems and controllers over the years, but what matters most is understanding the equipment deeply and being able to trust it during a performance.
I also rely heavily on my music library and preparation. The equipment is the tool, but the real foundation of a DJ set is the music selection, organization, and understanding of how the tracks work together. I want my setup to disappear in the background so that the music and the connection with the audience remain the focus.
Dimitris: How do you integrate your own productions into your DJ sets to create a signature live experience?
Seycel: I see my own productions as an extension of my identity as an artist. I don’t simply play them because they are my tracks; I look for the right moment where they can naturally become part of the story of the set. Sometimes I use them as key moments, and other times I blend them subtly between tracks from other artists.
For me, the most important thing is that the audience feels the music rather than thinking about whether it is an original production. When my own tracks fit naturally into the flow and I see the crowd reacting to them, that’s when I feel that I’m creating something truly personal.
Dimitris: How do you manage the creative balance between producing new tracks in the studio and preparing for high-energy DJ gigs?
Seycel: I try to give both sides their own space. Production requires patience, concentration and a different kind of listening, while DJing is much more about energy, instinct and reading the moment.
I don’t always try to do everything at once. When I’m producing, I focus completely on the music and on developing ideas without thinking too much about the dance floor. When I’m preparing for a DJ set, I shift my mindset toward storytelling, track selection and how the music will work together in a real environment.
I think both sides ultimately feed each other. Producing keeps me creatively inspired, while DJing reminds me why the music needs to connect emotionally with people.
Dimitris: Does your approach to music production change based on the feedback or experiences you gain from live performances?
Seycel: Absolutely. Playing music in front of people teaches you things that you simply cannot learn in the studio.
Sometimes a section that I thought was the strongest part of a track doesn’t have the impact I expected, while another subtle moment can create a completely different reaction. Those experiences make me more aware of dynamics, arrangement, tension and release.
However, I try not to produce only according to what works on the dance floor. The audience’s reaction is valuable feedback, but I still want to preserve my artistic identity. For me, the goal is to learn from every experience without allowing the external response to dictate the music I create.
Dimitris: Please tell us your final statement to our readers who will read this interview.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your journey, insights, and experiences with us. Your thoughtful responses will surely inspire and resonate with fans and fellow artists alike. We truly appreciate your contribution to the electronic music community and look forward to witnessing your continued success!
Seycel: I think the most important thing I’ve learned through this journey is to be patient and stay true to your own sound. Electronic music is constantly changing, and there will always be new trends, new technologies and new artists, but authenticity has no expiration date.
I’m still learning, still experimenting and still trying to push myself as a producer and DJ. My goal is not simply to release more music, but to create music that has an emotional identity and can remain meaningful beyond the moment of its release.
To everyone listening, producing or dreaming about becoming part of this scene: trust your process, keep learning, and most importantly, don’t be afraid to develop a sound that is truly your own.
We would like to thank Seycel for taking the time to share his insights and experiences with us. His dedication to authenticity and his passion for creating music that connects beyond the dancefloor are truly inspiring. We look forward to hearing his upcoming releases and watching the continued growth of Parallel Groove. Thank you for reading, and we hope you enjoyed this conversation.
Thanks so much to Stuart at FSOE for organizing this interview and thanks to Seycel for his great answers and amazing 2hours guest mix for Flux House Anthems Only radio show.
Buy Buy on beatport seycel - Bright Things / Dust & Distance
Click Here to Access the Full Release Options
Connect With SEYCEL
🌐 Official SEYCEL Website
🎵 Follow on Spotify
📸 Follow on Instagram
👥 Follow on Facebook
Connect With UV / UV Noir