Flux BPM Online Exclusive interview In Conversation With: SKYDA
SKYDA is a UK-based trance and progressive producer known for blending uplifting melodies, driving grooves and emotional songwriting into modern club-focused records. His music has been released on respected labels including FSOE Argento, Pure Trance, Nanostate Music and Addictive Sounds.
His productions have received support from some of the biggest names in electronic music, including Paul van Dyk, Aly & Fila, Ferry Corsten, Solarstone, Darren Tate, Dan Stone and Kyau & Albert. His tracks have been featured on radio shows and in DJ sets from leading artists across the trance scene, helping SKYDA build a growing international profile.
Combining melodic depth with dancefloor energy, SKYDA continues to refine a distinctive sound that draws influence from both classic trance and modern progressive music. With a steadily expanding catalogue of releases and support from leading artists across the genre, he is continuing to establish himself as an emerging talent within the UK trance and progressive scene.
In the rapidly evolving world of trance and progressive music, UK-based producer SKYDA has emerged as a promising new voice, blending uplifting melodies, driving grooves, and heartfelt emotion into his productions. With releases on acclaimed labels like FSOE Argento, Pure Trance, Nanostate Music, and Addictive Sounds, SKYDA’s sound bridges the timeless energy of classic trance with the freshness of modern progressive. His latest single, “Solar,” released via FSOE Argento, reflects this vision perfectly—offering listeners a journey through rich harmonics and dancefloor-ready momentum. In this exclusive interview, SKYDA opens up about his creative journey, inspirations, challenges, and the story behind “Solar.”
Stream & Buy SKYDA - SOLAR
Click Here to Access the Full Release Options
Dimitris: How did your journey into the electronic dance music (EDM) scene begin, and what were the key influences that shaped your style?
SKYDA:I grew up in the 1990s, during what many would consider the golden era of trance and dance music. From a very young age, I would go to roller discos and spend most of my time standing by the DJ booth, fascinated by the music. Those big Ibiza classics from that era were definitely my earliest inspiration.
As I got older, I became heavily influenced by the big-room and progressive house sound of around 2010–2015, particularly artists such as Swedish House Mafia, Avicii and Kryder, while still maintaining my love for trance.
I started producing music around 2017, by which point I was especially drawn to the progressive trance and “Trance 2.0” sound being released by labels such as Enhanced and Anjunabeats. I’m still very passionate about that style today and try to keep elements of that sound alive in my own productions.
As I got older, I became heavily influenced by the big-room and progressive house sound of around 2010–2015, particularly artists such as Swedish House Mafia, Avicii and Kryder, while still maintaining my love for trance.
I started producing music around 2017, by which point I was especially drawn to the progressive trance and “Trance 2.0” sound being released by labels such as Enhanced and Anjunabeats. I’m still very passionate about that style today and try to keep elements of that sound alive in my own productions.
Dimitris: What personal values or life philosophies do you carry that also reflect in your music?
SKYDA: Perseverance is probably the value that reflects most strongly in both my life and my music. I’ve been producing for a long time, and there have naturally been plenty of setbacks, doubts and periods where progress felt slow, but I’ve always believed in continuing to improve and trusting the process.
I also try to stay true to the music I genuinely love rather than simply following whatever is popular at the time. For me, music should create a real emotional connection and take the listener on a journey. That sense of emotion, optimism and determination is something I always try to bring into my productions.
I also try to stay true to the music I genuinely love rather than simply following whatever is popular at the time. For me, music should create a real emotional connection and take the listener on a journey. That sense of emotion, optimism and determination is something I always try to bring into my productions.
Dimitris: How has your understanding of the electronic music culture changed from when you started to where you are now?
SKYDA: When I first became interested in electronic music, I mainly saw it from a fan’s perspective -the tracks, the DJs, the clubs and the excitement surrounding it all. Since becoming a producer, I’ve gained a much greater appreciation for everything that happens behind the scenes.
I now understand how much patience, consistency and collaboration are involved, from the artists and labels to the DJs, promoters, radio hosts and listeners who support the music. I’ve also realised how important genuine relationships and community are within the scene. It can be a competitive industry, but there are also many people who genuinely want to support each other and help good music reach a wider audience.
More than anything, I’ve learned that progress rarely happens overnight. Building a career and developing your own sound takes time, so it is important to enjoy the journey and appreciate each milestone along the way.
I now understand how much patience, consistency and collaboration are involved, from the artists and labels to the DJs, promoters, radio hosts and listeners who support the music. I’ve also realised how important genuine relationships and community are within the scene. It can be a competitive industry, but there are also many people who genuinely want to support each other and help good music reach a wider audience.
More than anything, I’ve learned that progress rarely happens overnight. Building a career and developing your own sound takes time, so it is important to enjoy the journey and appreciate each milestone along the way.
Dimitris: Which piece of music equipment or software can you not live without, and why?
SKYDA: This may be a bit of a boring answer but I would have to say by DAW - Ableton Live is the one piece of software I could not live without. It is what I use to create all of my music, and it is the only DAW I have ever worked with, so over the years it has become a completely natural part of my creative process.
Dimitris: Can you share an unforgettable incident from your career—whether funny, unexpected, or challenging?
SKYDA: One of the most unforgettable moments was at my first gig. Around ten minutes before I was due to play, I discovered that all of my cue points had disappeared. I had to quickly go through my tracks and recreate as many as possible on the fly before starting my set.
It was definitely not the calm introduction to DJing that I had imagined, but once I started playing, everything went smoothly. Looking back, it was a valuable lesson in staying composed, adapting quickly and always being prepared for something unexpected to happen.
It was definitely not the calm introduction to DJing that I had imagined, but once I started playing, everything went smoothly. Looking back, it was a valuable lesson in staying composed, adapting quickly and always being prepared for something unexpected to happen.
Dimitris: Could you please elaborate on the inspiration behind the track SOLAR out now on FSOE Argento? How does it align with your current artistic aspirations?
SKYDA: The track stays very true to the music I genuinely love. It carries a lot of the progressive trance and “Trance 2.0” influence that first inspired me to produce, even though that sound is not necessarily at the forefront of current trends.
It was heavily inspired by some of my favourite tracks and artists from that era. At the same time, I wanted to take those influences and express them in a way that still felt personal rather than simply recreating the past.
Artistically, my aim is to continue developing a sound that feels authentic to me, and this track is probably the strongest reflection of that so far. Out of everything I have produced, it feels the most like “me.
It was heavily inspired by some of my favourite tracks and artists from that era. At the same time, I wanted to take those influences and express them in a way that still felt personal rather than simply recreating the past.
Artistically, my aim is to continue developing a sound that feels authentic to me, and this track is probably the strongest reflection of that so far. Out of everything I have produced, it feels the most like “me.
Dimitris: Have you produced any new tracks since the one we're discussing in this interview? If so, could you share the inspiration behind them?
SKYDA: I currently have four tracks in the pipeline at various stages of development. They are all influenced by the music I am listening to most at the moment, particularly releases from labels such as FSOE Argento, Euphonic, Enhanced and Anjunabeats.
I generally try to take inspiration from current tracks and production styles while still adding my own identity and ensuring the end result feels true to my sound.
I generally try to take inspiration from current tracks and production styles while still adding my own identity and ensuring the end result feels true to my sound.
Dimitris: Could you describe your current approach to music production and how it has evolved over the years?
SKYDA: My approach has evolved massively over the years. For the first few years, I was mainly experimenting, going around in circles and making a lot of tracks that were not particularly good. I then found a few well-structured production courses, which helped me move up a level.
Looking back, I probably followed advice and production “rules” a little too closely at times, which may have held me back creatively. It can also be difficult because you often hear trusted producers giving completely different advice on how to achieve the same result. I think the only real solution is to try different approaches and discover what works best for you.
I spent a long time figuring that out, and I am probably still doing so to some extent. However, I now feel that I have developed my own process. Some parts are techniques I have learned and continue to follow closely because they consistently work for me, while others are methods I have adapted and developed for myself.
More than anything, I now try to focus on enjoying the process and not placing as much pressure on myself as I used to. That can still be difficult because I am very invested in progressing and succeeding, but I have learned that the best results usually come when I am enjoying what I am creating..
Looking back, I probably followed advice and production “rules” a little too closely at times, which may have held me back creatively. It can also be difficult because you often hear trusted producers giving completely different advice on how to achieve the same result. I think the only real solution is to try different approaches and discover what works best for you.
I spent a long time figuring that out, and I am probably still doing so to some extent. However, I now feel that I have developed my own process. Some parts are techniques I have learned and continue to follow closely because they consistently work for me, while others are methods I have adapted and developed for myself.
More than anything, I now try to focus on enjoying the process and not placing as much pressure on myself as I used to. That can still be difficult because I am very invested in progressing and succeeding, but I have learned that the best results usually come when I am enjoying what I am creating..
Dimitris: What are some of the challenges you face when producing music, and how do you overcome them?
SKYDA: One of the biggest challenges I face is maintaining an objective perspective. Whether I am producing or mixing, listening to the same section repeatedly can really affect my judgement. Even if you listen to a track by one of your favourite artists over and over again, you will eventually become tired of it, and that effect can be even stronger with your own music.
For me, the key is to try to finish tracks within a reasonable timeframe before I become overly critical or start to dislike them. I also take regular breaks and switch between multiple projects, which gives my ears and mind a rest from a particular track. When I return to it with a fresh perspective, it is usually much easier to identify what is working and what still needs improving.
For me, the key is to try to finish tracks within a reasonable timeframe before I become overly critical or start to dislike them. I also take regular breaks and switch between multiple projects, which gives my ears and mind a rest from a particular track. When I return to it with a fresh perspective, it is usually much easier to identify what is working and what still needs improving.
Dimitris: How do you stay motivated and creatively inspired amidst the fast-paced nature of the EDM scene?
SKYDA: For me, staying motivated comes down to having a routine and sticking to it. I get up in the early hours and do my music production before work because I know that is when I am at my most focused and productive. Making that time part of my daily routine helps me remain consistent.
Staying creatively inspired comes quite naturally to me. I simply listen to the music I love, whether that is current stuff or older stuff. That usually gives me the excitement and motivation to get back into the studio and create something of my own.
Staying creatively inspired comes quite naturally to me. I simply listen to the music I love, whether that is current stuff or older stuff. That usually gives me the excitement and motivation to get back into the studio and create something of my own.
Dimitris: Looking ahead, we're curious about your aspirations. What exciting plans and ambitions are on the horizon for you?
SKYDA: The main aim is to keep building momentum and releasing more music that feels genuinely true to me. I have several tracks in progress at the moment, so I would love to see those find the right homes and continue developing my sound with each release. I would also like to play more gigs and gradually build that side of things alongside producing. I am ambitious and would love to reach bigger labels and stages in the future, but I am also trying to focus on taking things one step at a time, improving with every track and enjoying the progress as it comes.
Dimitris: What are your future plans in terms of new releases, collaborations, or live performances?
SKYDA: For me right now, the focus is all about production. I feel it is important to consistently get music signed by respected labels so I can become more established within the scene. Hopefully, if that side of things continues to go well, opportunities for collaborations and live performances will come naturally from it.
Dimitris: Are there any collaborations you dream of, either with other artists or brands, that you haven’t yet explored?
SKYDA: I mean, you would always love to collaborate with your heroes, wouldn’t you? But honestly, it is not something I have given a great deal of thought to yet. I am quite tunnel-visioned at the moment and mainly focused on improving my own production skills and getting to where I want to be as an artist.
Dimitris: How do you incorporate new trends or technologies in your music while maintaining your unique sound?
SKYDA: Reluctantly, if I’m honest! I do think it is important to stay modern, but not at the expense of losing your own identity. Stylistically, I probably lean more towards the older progressive trance sound, especially with the scene moving away from Trance 2.0 and towards more melodic and techno-influenced styles.
For me, it is really about finding a balance between staying true to the music I love and bringing in enough modern production ideas to make sure it still feels current
For me, it is really about finding a balance between staying true to the music I love and bringing in enough modern production ideas to make sure it still feels current
Dimitris: What message would you like to share with your fans and the broader trance community about your journey and vision?
SKYDA: Honestly, I feel like the journey has only just begun. I am grateful for everyone who has supported the music so far, and I am excited to keep improving, releasing more tracks and seeing where it all leads.
Dimitris: How do you see the current state of the electronic music industry, and what changes would you like to see?
SKYDA: I think the electronic music industry is in a really interesting place. There is so much music being released and technology has made it easier than ever for artists to create and share their work.
At the same time, I do think there can be too much focus on following whatever sound is currently popular. Trends will always be part of music, but I would like to see more artists feel confident enough to develop their own identity rather than feeling pressured to fit into a particular style.
For me, the most exciting music usually comes from artists who take inspiration from what is happening now but still put something personal into it. I think the scene will always keep evolving, and hopefully there will continue to be space for a wider range of sounds within it.
At the same time, I do think there can be too much focus on following whatever sound is currently popular. Trends will always be part of music, but I would like to see more artists feel confident enough to develop their own identity rather than feeling pressured to fit into a particular style.
For me, the most exciting music usually comes from artists who take inspiration from what is happening now but still put something personal into it. I think the scene will always keep evolving, and hopefully there will continue to be space for a wider range of sounds within it.
Dimitris: What role do you think AI technology plays in the future of electronic music production, and have you experimented with it?
SKYDA: I think AI will eventually become capable of producing genuinely incredible tracks, which is slightly worrying! It is developing so quickly that it may well affect my day job in the future, never mind music production.
That said, I would like to think fans will always value music made by real people, particularly in more niche scenes like ours where listeners tend to care about the artist, the story and the emotion behind a track.
I have used tools that incorporate AI, such as Ozone for mixing and mastering, and I have definitely used ChatGPT for troubleshooting and general production advice. That is about as far as I have gone with it so far. I did once ask it to create a chord progression, but it was terrible.
That said, I would like to think fans will always value music made by real people, particularly in more niche scenes like ours where listeners tend to care about the artist, the story and the emotion behind a track.
I have used tools that incorporate AI, such as Ozone for mixing and mastering, and I have definitely used ChatGPT for troubleshooting and general production advice. That is about as far as I have gone with it so far. I did once ask it to create a chord progression, but it was terrible.
Dimitris: How do you feel about the shift towards streaming platforms for music consumption—do you think it's beneficial for artists?
SKYDA: I think streaming is brilliant for listeners because it gives people instant access to almost any music they want, and it can definitely help artists reach a much wider audience.
From an artist’s point of view, though, the payment side is obviously a problem. The amount artists earn per stream is incredibly low, especially once everyone involved has taken their share. So while streaming is great for discovery and exposure, I am not sure it is especially beneficial financially unless you are generating huge numbers.
From an artist’s point of view, though, the payment side is obviously a problem. The amount artists earn per stream is incredibly low, especially once everyone involved has taken their share. So while streaming is great for discovery and exposure, I am not sure it is especially beneficial financially unless you are generating huge numbers.
Dimitris: How important do you find online tutorials and classes for aspiring producers, and do you engage in any form of music education yourself?
SKYDA: They were really important for me in the early stages, although I think it depends a lot on the person, how naturally musical they are and how they prefer to learn.
I have done quite a few courses over the years, starting with Toolroom Academy, as well as full track walkthroughs from producers such as Rodg and Jaytech, which I found really useful. I also did a Bass Kleph course early on that helped me a lot at the time.
More recently, I have moved towards direct mentoring with more experienced producers. I find that really valuable now because the feedback is specific to my own music and helps me identify the areas I need to improve to bridge that final gap.
I have done quite a few courses over the years, starting with Toolroom Academy, as well as full track walkthroughs from producers such as Rodg and Jaytech, which I found really useful. I also did a Bass Kleph course early on that helped me a lot at the time.
More recently, I have moved towards direct mentoring with more experienced producers. I find that really valuable now because the feedback is specific to my own music and helps me identify the areas I need to improve to bridge that final gap.
Dimitris: How do you maintain a balance between your personal life and your music career?
SKYDA: Honestly, it mainly means getting a little less sleep! I get up early and do around two hours of production before work every weekday, then usually around four hours each morning at the weekend. I stick to that routine pretty religiously whenever possible.
Doing it early in the morning means I can stay consistent with music without it taking over the rest of my work or personal life.
Doing it early in the morning means I can stay consistent with music without it taking over the rest of my work or personal life.
Dimitris: What advice would you give to aspiring DJs and producers looking to make their mark in the industry?
SKYDA: Have a plan, create some structure and build a routine that you can realistically stick to. Progress can feel very slow at times, so consistency is probably the most important thing. Keep learning, keep making music and never give up.
As SKYDA continues to carve his path in the trance and progressive scene, “Solar” stands as a bold statement of his artistic identity: emotionally resonant, melodically driven, and true to the music he loves. With new tracks in the works, a growing international following, and a commitment to perseverance and authenticity, SKYDA shows no signs of slowing down. Fans can look forward to more releases, deeper journeys through sound, and a future that shines as brightly as “Solar.”
Thanks so much to Stuart at FSOE for organizing this interview and thanks to SKYDA for his answers and his great guest mix that was streamed on 1mix and Evosonic Radio.
Buy / stream solar
Click Here to Access the Full Release Options
Connect With SKYDA
Connect With FSOE Recordings