04:03:00
A+ A-

INTERVIEW with Tom Boldt about his track Deep Blue on Argento

 




Tom Boldt's uncanny mixture of propulsive dance beats and orchestral grandeur has earned him a reputation as a unique up-and-coming artist in the EDM world. With his commanding stage presence and natural gift for crowd interaction, the Hamburg-based DJ is dedicated to showing his audiences the time of their lives with every single performance.

Tom's career has spanned over 15 years, both as a member of the duo Store N Forward and as a solo artist. He was initially inspired by the trance music movement, particularly Dutch artist Ferry Corsten, whom Tom would later share the stage with. As Tom's career blossomed, he developed the unique synthesis of electronic styles that would eventually become his signature, dancefloor-awakening sound.

Over the years, Tom's sound has evolved and matured, but he has always stayed true to his roots in trance and progressive with influences from the 80s and 90s. His music is characterized by soaring melodies, lush harmonies, and intricate rhythms, all combined to create a euphoric and uplifting experience for the listener.

Tom's recent release, "Purple," on Enhanced Recordings, is a perfect example of his 80s-influenced signature sound. The track features driving beats, ethereal vocals, and a powerful drop that is sure to get dancefloors moving. It has already received support from some of the biggest names in the industry, including Tritonal, Andrew Rayel, Elevven, Ferry Corsten and Kyau & Albert.

Another standout track from Tom is "Real To Me," a collaboration with the talented vocalist Sarah Russell on RazNitzanMusic. The track is a beautiful blend of Sarah's emotive vocals and Tom's uplifting production style, resulting in a truly memorable and emotional piece of music.

Tom's collaboration in 2020 with L.A.-based singer Kyler England on "Higher (with you)" is also worth mentioning. The track showcases Tom's ability to create powerful, driving tracks that still maintain a sense of emotional depth and nuance.

As Tom's star continues to rise, he remains dedicated to his craft and his fans. His passion for music is evident in every track he produces, and his commitment to creating memorable and uplifting experiences for his listeners is truly inspiring.

1-Dimitris: It would be nice to start by telling us your 3 most important achievements or goals fulfilled  in your career so far that you very are proud of.

Tom Boldt: First of all, I am very proud of what I am doing. Not everyone is capable of making music and working with great artists and labels around the world. In addition, playing alongside Ferry Corsten in Houston, USA, and with Kyau & Albert, who are my idols, has been incredible.

2-Dimitris: Why and under which circumstances did you took the decision to start DJing or producing electronic dance music?

Tom Boldt:  started when I was around 8 or 10 years old. I have always been interested in technology and music, and this was my chance to combine the two. Besides that, taking piano lessons was an opportunity to avoid going to dance school.

3-Dimitris: Can you note down the top 3 producers that have influenced your decision to get involved in the electronic dance music scene and you admire and respect them very much?

Tom Boldt: 1. Ferry Corsten 

2. Above & Beyond

3. Moogwai

4-Dimitris: Can you tell us the top 3 tracks from the past that have influenced your sound the most and why?

Tom Boldt: 1. Above & Beyond & Richard Bedford - Alone Tonight

2. Miami Nights 1984 - The Girl

3. Myon & Shane54 ft. Kyler England - Summer Of Love

5-Dimitris: It would be fantastic to talk about your latest release Deep Blue on FSOE Argento. Please tell us how this magical track came about and what was the idea behind it.

Tom Boldt: I came across the idea for the track when I was in Curacao. I love diving, and Curacao is somewhat of a paradise for diving. The deep blue waters around this beautiful island inspired me to take a musical chance and adapt the idea into a progressive trance track.

6-Dimitris: How long it took you to produce it and can u describe the production process in simple steps?

 Tom Boldt: I always start with a melody, and I came up with this one in 2018 when I was in Curacao. For some reason, I never revisited it until mid-2022 when I stumbled across the old file. I tried to recall the time in Curacao—the vibe and the feel of the island—and started working on the beat and buildup. I found a great vocal that fit perfectly with the melody. Ultimately, I finished the track in 2023 and sent it to Dan Stone, and it got signed to Argento again.

7-Dimitris: Did you had any particular difficulties accomplishing that particular track or any specific technical challenges or obstacles that you had to overcome during its production.

Tom Boldt:  I always struggle with mixing and mastering. To be honest, I am not good at this, but I practice every day. Lately, I have been receiving a lot of help from Farius, and his tips and tricks always push me further. In 2023, I switched from Cubase to Ableton after more than 20 years, which is cool, but the workflows are very different, and I am not that fast in Ableton yet.

8-Dimitris: If you would have the opportunity to change something in your track and maybe to do a new remix what elements are you unhappy with and you are going to change? Is there any artist that you feel would be fantastic to remix this track and why?

Tom Boldt:  Haha, I always wish to revise all of my tracks since I am learning mixing and mastering, but it's okay not to do so. Things are done, and looking forward is more what I prefer.

I really like the tracks by Cubicore and Codeko, and I would love to remix one of their tracks someday.

9- Dimitris: Which music composition software or hardware you prefer and why? What is your opinion of the latest movement to produce music with more analogue equipment and with less or without any digital software?

Tom Boldt: As mentioned, I was totally into Cubase and switched to Ableton this year. Working with a software for as long as I did with Cubase makes switching a big thing. I’ve also left all hardware behind. Now, I mostly work on the road with my MacBook. Previously, when collaborating with Chris for Store N Forward, I used a lot of hardware, but always struggled with the workflows. In the digital world in which I currently operate, you are completely free in all your decisions, especially regarding when and where to make music.

But I also love returning to my studio, turning on all the lights, and just enjoying the environment. It offers a different kind of inspiration, and it always gives me shivers.

10-Dimitris: Do you prefer vocal or instrumental tracks? If there are vocals on the track we discuss about tell us about the singer you work with?

Tom Boldt:   I love both :)

11-Dimitris: Are there any vocalists/singers on electronic dance music you aspire to work with?

Tom Boldt:  For me Richard Bedford is one of the gifted singers around the world. I would love to work with him, for sure. But I also was gifted enough to work with singers like Kyler England, Linnea Schössow, Sarah Russell, Neev Kennedy and many more. 

12-Dimitris: Please choose the most powerful lyrics ever included in a dance track and why these lyrics have touched you so deeply and have a special meaning for you?

 Tom Boldt:  "Summer Of Love" by Myon & Shane 54 with Kyler England.

I think everyone has fallen in love with someone in the summer, and these lyrics describe the feeling perfectly. I was lucky enough to turn my summer love into something more.

13-Dimitris: Do you believe that artwork on your latest track is good and do you believe that artwork can attract listeners or record buyers? Can you mention the best artwork of a track ever released?

 Tom Boldt: Absolutely. The Artwork fits perfectly on the track. 

The best artwork I've seen so far is for sure the Above & Beyond album "We are all we need" 

14-Dimitris: Can you pick your favorite top 3 record labels including the one released the track that we discuss in this interview and give us a short comment about why these labels are important to you and the music scene too?

 Tom Boldt:  I need to pick 4.

1. Argento, is an upcoming label from the UK, with a very strong identity sound wise. 

2. Enhance Recordings, also from the UK and one of the most recognizable labels in the world. 

3. RazNitzanMusic, always quality releases and known for fantastic vocals. 

4. Anjunabeats, they are always pushing the trance sound forward, like these other 3 labels. 

15-Dimitris: Do you have your own record label? if yes tell us when did you set it up, the reasons behind this decision and your top 3 releases on the label so far plus 2 or 3 releases that we should look after from your label.

  Tom Boldt: No, I am an artist and producer and I like it the way it is. 

16-Dimitris: Are you planning to complete an album or mix compilation soon? if yes please give us all the details about regarding tracks and how will look and sound like? 

 Tom Boldt:  Can’t say too much; I am working on something, but for now, I am focusing on singles.

17-Dimitris: Can you pick up your all time favorite album or compilation and tell us why you adore it so much?

Tom Boldt:  Not a trance album, but I was totally in love with Madonna's 'Ray Of Light.' Not just because of William Orbit, who produced the album, but it opened up an entire new world of soundscapes and ideas for me.

18-Dimitris:How much time do you spend promoting yourself in your social media and you see this as essential tool for self promotion and getting bookings too? Which social media is the one that seems to work better for you?

 Tom Boldt: I am used to be on Instagram, and thats also the best way to connect with me. @tomboldtmusic

19-Dimitris: Do you have your own radio show/podcast/twitch stream or Vlog(video blog)? If yes please give us a comment about it and how long it  take you to prepare for it and if you are always excited to produce it?

 Tom Boldt: I do have a monthly radio show called "Workout" on Digitally Imported. The show is aired every 4th Tuesday of the month at 20 CET. Additionally, I have my own Spotify playlist, "Just Some Really Good Music":

  

I spend quite some time arranging the tracks and mixes, but I love listening to trance music and picking my top tracks every month.

20-Dimitris: Do you have any  gigs/festival performances confirmed so far for 2023 in which ones are you most excited to perform and why?

Tom Boldt:  I am not playing gigs this year; instead, I'm focusing on studio work. Maybe next year, you'll be able to see and hear me at some DJ gigs.

21-Dimitris: Are you happy about the quality of the tracks released in your preferred music genres?  Please justify your answer with your opinion about it!

 Tom Boldt: Yes, trance is evolving every year, and it seems to me that more and more barriers are breaking down from year to year. I love that in this genre, you are free to do everything you want.

22-Your current Top 3 tracks with short comment:

Tom Boldt: 1. Deepblue - Tom Boldt (Argento Recordings) - what a surprise :)

2. Stormarn - Farius & Johann Vilborg (Enhanced Recordings) - Love the vibe and the build-up of the track. So much energy.

3. Must Be Dreaming - anamē & Bien (Anjunabeats) - One of my fav. artists at the moment. Love the vocals and their sound. 

23-Dimitris: Please note for all the new talents that read this interview to get some inspiration from you any  technical tips in relation to your DJing  or music productions. Also any piece of personal or music business' advice that has helped you to progress even further and is worth telling to the new upcoming talents. 

 Tom Boldt:  Stay focused and find your own sound. This industry is not for those who copy existing music; it is for creating new music.

24-Dimitris: Many producers and DJs  offer online masterclasses or teach to music production & DJing courses. Do you believe is essential to take part in any of these courses to develop your skills? Are you are offering any of these services? or other related services like ghost-producing or mastering? please tell us about these activities 

Tom Boldt:  It is always good to get ideas and help from someone else. Masterclasses and 'How-To' videos can help you solve your problems and develop your skills. However, I don’t think it is necessary to book any online courses to get into music production. If you are open to technology, love making music, and have an idea, just do it. Don’t wait for the next tutorial to get things done.

25-Dimitris: Is there a club classic that you would like to remix or rework in 2023? Do you attempt often to do your own bootlegs of classics?

Tom Boldt:  There are too many to just pick one. But yes, I have something in the making; more to come next year.

26-Dimitris: Please choose the best and worst remix of  club classic and tell us why you like or dislike them.

 Tom Boldt:  For me, there are no bad remixes. But I am happy to pick one I really like at the moment - 'Hyper Hyper' by Scooter, mixed by Giuseppe Ottaviani. To be honest, this kicks ass.

27-Dimitris: How much do you care if your fans or followers like your productions? Do you struggle with the audience reception of your tracks  and is this thought adds extra pressure on you and discourage you too?  

Tom Boldt: First, I make music for myself, and I am lucky enough that some labels like the music and release it. Fan feedback is always important to me, especially when I try something new. I respect every opinion on my music and learn from negative comments as long as they are factual.

28-Dimitris:  Can you describe your music  as certain music genre such as trance, house, techno  or your music exempts these categorizations? What is your opinion about hybrid styles and artists who are attempting to mix influences from various genres in their tracks? 

Tom Boldt:   As mentioned before, in trance music, you can do whatever you feel. This openness allows for exploration of other genres like house or techno. I really like this flexibility because it would be unfortunate to abandon a great idea just because it doesn't fit into a particular genre.

29-Dimitris: Is your music business your full time occupation and are you able to make a leaving out of your music business (DJ/producer/label owner/teaching or mastering tracks)? If not what other jobs are you doing in order to support your income?

 Tom Boldt: Music is my love and my passion, but not my main income. I work in IT industry for living. 

30-Dimitris: Do you believe that audience should be banned from constantly taking photos or videos during DJ sets or are you happy with these activities? 

 Tom Boldt:  Maybe I'm old-school, but when I go clubbing, I go out to dance. However, I can understand people who share their videos and pictures on Instagram and other platforms. And it's always great to see a video of someone, somewhere on this planet, dancing to your music.

31-Dimitris: Do you prefer small clubs or huge festivals to perform? in which festivals or clubs you aspire to play in the future?

 Tom Boldt:  I like both and I would be happy to be back on the road in 2024. 

32-Please choose for us your favourite holiday destination and share with us your most unforgettable holiday experience(good/bad)

Tom Boldt: Everyone who loves diving and beautiful beaches should go to Curacao someday.

Dimitris: Your message & wishes  for Flux Bpm Online readers.

Tom Boldt:  Thanks for having me. It is always a pleasure talking with you guys. Since we are close to Christmas, I hope you all have a great one with your family and friends.

Thanks so much to team at FSOE for arranging this interview. 

Thanks to the brilliant Tom for his wonderful answers

Find Deep Blue here: https://fsoe.streamlink.to/deepblue