22:58:00
A+ A-

Best of 2018 Interview with DJ & producer Sergio Trillini


Sergio Trillini was born in Zurich. The young DJ and producer discovered early his passion for electronic music. Although the sector of Dance fascinated him initially, with time it became more and more the impulsive Techno Beats that grabbed his attention. It didn't take long for him to be fully immersed with this genre. Bookings at the most established techno clubs in Switzerland followed and so the young DJ with Italian background was firmly established in the scene. From techno with minimal influences in the past to his current deep melodic house sound in his Sirup Music releases he is definitely a promising star and upcoming name to keep an eye and ear on and we are glad he accepted the challenge to answer his Best of 2018 questions.

Dimitris: Can you mention your biggest music career achievements in 2018?

Sergio Trillini: Definitely my last single "Close to me" which appeared on Sirup Music in September 2018. The song went a lot better than I expected in advance. The song landed on the Viral 50 Switzerland charts by Spotify and also quite high on the Future House charts on Beatport.

Dimitris: Can you rate 2018 for you as a year with 1 being very bad until 10 that is perfect year!

Sergio Trillini: 8 very good year, I was able to develop myself as a producer  and to increase the quality of my productions. It gets easier time by time to turn my personal emotions into a song. In addition, I was able to build on the success of my last single „Zeppelin“ (Which was supported by Lost Frequencies, Sam Feldt, Nora en Pure and many more) with my new single "Close to me".



1) Best 3 Tracks from other artists in 2018, please give us a short comment for each track:

Sergio Trillini: Daniel Portman - Vulnerable. / One of my absolute favourites this year. The track has many calm emotional parts and still remains absolutely club fit.



Zonderling x Don Diablo - No Good.  / Incredibly deep and full of energy.



Nora En Pure - Polynesia. / Finest piano with a wonderful vibe. She never disappoints!




2) Your 3 Best of 2018 personal productions, give us more background info about them:

Sergio Trillini: Just this one. I started producing the instrumental months ago. On this time, I put the song to the side, because I was not quite convinced of the instrumental. Months later, I came across the instrumental when I was checking my old projects. In the moment I played the instrumental again, I couldn't understand why I didn't finish the song. While I was re listening to it, I liked the song straight away. I decided to hire a singer. We worked together for a long time for the perfect Lyrics. At the end I was the most satisfied as everything fitted and the song was ready for the release.




3) Best Artist in 2018(DJ & producer) please explain why you pick him/her up:

Sergio Trillini: Lost Frequencies: Excellent dj and producer. 



Nora en Pure: Also in 2018 she delivered incredible songs. She plays at the biggest festivals and tours around the world.



Jan Blomqvist: Simply a great singer, producer and a fantastic live performer.



4) Best Remix in 2018, please explain why you liked it so much:

Sergio Trillini: There have been many good remixes this year. In my opinion the remix from Mastrovita and Mordkey for Lost Frequencies & Netsky „Here with you“ is a perfect mix of the cool vocals from the original and the club suitable instrumental. I love the arpeggio!



5) Best Remix that you have produced in 2018, please tell us why you believe is your best work(please provide the listening link for our readers)?

Sergio Trillini: I have rarely produced remixes. The last remix I produced and released was for Daniel Portman in 2014. I've set myself the goal to make more remixes in the future. It's always great to hear what another producer can do with your own song.

6) Best electronic music album in 2018? Please explain your decision why you think is the best album?(b) Do you believe that albums are still relevant or you prefer singles:

Sergio Trillini: I don't know if albums are still relevant or not. I'm a big fan of albums but what I noticed, there were released a lot less albums over the last few years. From a marketing point of view, for many artists it makes more sense to have a regular release flow than to invest a lot of time and work in an new album. 

7) Best lyrics in an electronic music track in 2018 (it can be your production or from other artists) Please explain why you like these lyrics so much!

Sergio Trillini: I'm a bit selfish now :). I really like the lyrics of my last single "Close to me". We've been working on it for a long time and I'm really happy with it. Logically, there are countless songs with incredibly cool lyrics. It would be almost impossible to pick only one.

8) Best vocalist/singer featured on electronic music track in 2018, please tell why you appreciate this singer/vocalist and why:

Sergio Trillini: Virtually impossible to pick just a single one. But the song "Panic Room" with the voice of Au / Ra on CamelPhat's production appeals to me incredibly well.



9) Best electronic music label for 2018, please justify why you choose this label and what was so special in 2018 about it:

Sergio Trillini: I like Sirup Music. The guys are very professional. They give young producers time to develop. It's also an advantage for me that they're 10 minutes from my home away. So you can exchange personally. Of course, all the other big labels also publish the highest quality and innovative music and are very successful. 



10) Best online social media for 2018 and why you believe is the best particularly in 2018?:

Sergio Trillini: For me, definitely instagram. Facebook seems to me less used then years before. I don't own a Twitter account and since Instagram added the story feature, Snapchat seems to be overcrowded.

11) Best Twitter/Facebook/Instagram message you may have received about your music or your DJ performance in 2018:

Sergio Trillini: A few weeks ago a woman wrote me, that she always hears my song on the way to work. She doesn't like working there but my song makes it more bearable :D

12) Best music composition software in 2018, please explain why you appreciate it so much:

Sergio Trillini: I mainly produce with Ableton. Unfortunately, I haven't come to buy the newest Version yet. I'm always a bit slow about such things. But I must also confess that the last version of Logic is quite a beast. I also worked with Logic lately.

However, it's important to me that the workflow is fast. In my opinion, Ableton still has a little better workflow. Therefore, Ableton currently remains my main DAW.



13) Best Club event or Festival that you have performed there or you would love one day to perform there, please explain the reasons that influenced your choice of the event & festival:

Sergio Trillini: The Street Parade in my home town Zurich is one of my absolute favorites. Every year over one million ravers transform the entire city of Zurich into a huge party. In addition to countless stages, many large trucks are also converted into a dancefloor through the city.



14) Best DJ set from other fellow DJ in 2018 and why you believe his/her set was so fantastic?:

Sergio Trillini: Too many good DJ sets to Name just one.

Dimitris: Do you have a radio show or vlog? Have you produced any YouTube tutorials for fellow artists to learn from you? If yes please tell us here the details and choose the best episode from your radio show/vlog/YouTube tutorial for 2018.

Sergio Trillini: I don't have my own radio show, but I have a new DJ Podcast named „SLIDE“ that appears once a month. You can hear it on Youtube & Soundcloud.



15) Best music related website that you visit frequently, please explain what you exactly appreciate in this web site and you may recommended to your fans as well:

Sergio Trillini: I love Splice. It has never been easier to find the right sample for your song without spending endless money on entire packs. The search filters are awesome.

16) Best production or DJ equipment (a)software & (b) hardware) in 2018 particularly if they were released in 2018:

Sergio Trillini: I started using the Slate Digital Bundle this year. The plugins are high quality and I use them without exception in every song. For the DJ equipment I'm still fan of the classic Pioneer Club Standart :)

17) Best new sound or sample that has been introduced in any electronic music track in 2018 and you wish to have invented it or you may even have introduced it for the first time?

Sergio Trillini: There are too many :D

18) Best technical tips that you learnt in 2018 in relation to your DJing or music productions:

Sergio Trillini:I learned a lot in 2018. One of them is the master automation to make the drops sound stronger. But also in terms of mixing and especially the recording of vocals, I could gather a lot of new experiences and learn a lot. Even if it isn't technical, did I completely rearrange my sample librarys. This let me saves an incredible amount of time. Something I can really recommend to anyone :)



19) Best piece of advice you got in relation to your career in 2018 and has helped you to progress even further:

Sergio Trillini: Consider the opinions of others regarding your songs, but only to a certain point. Often it was the songs that were the most criticised which worked best :D

Dimitris: Can you mention briefly your plans for your future releases, tracks, albums, collaborations, DJ gigs for 2019!

Sergio Trillini: I am currently working on different songs. Some are almost done, while I still have to revise others. I am very excited and hope to release the songs soon. I also set myself the goal to be back as a DJ in 2019.

Dimitris: Finally, what is your biggest wish for 2019 and give us your wishes for our readers?

Sergio Trillini: Good health, love and a ton of good music. :)



Thanks so much to Sergio for answering the questions and many thanks to Sirup music team for organising this interview.

Additional info: