22:29:00
A+ A-

INTERVIEW with dj / producer / label owner Roger Shah about his compilation Magic Island vol.4 on Armada


Ever setting course to musical beatitude, Roger Shah lands the next instalment of his beloved ‘Magic Island’ series. With his coordinates being a strong passion for the beat, a knack for the eclectic and a warm Balearic instinct, Roger Shah has caught summer on ‘Magic Island Vol. 4’.
 
Last year, the Magic Island label owner revealed to the world his ‘Open-Minded?!’ album, showing the world that his sound stretches out far beyond the sunsets and deep nights of Ibiza. However, that doesn’t mean he’s lost his love for the island which so many have lost their hearts to. Still driven and inspired by the Balearic island life, the new volume of ‘Magic Island: Music for Balearic People’ has its latitude and longitude set to the soul of Ibiza.

Piercing the quiet with brand new and exclusive tracks and remixes by upcoming talent, renowned producers, and of course Roger Shah himself.
 
The Balearic mission is accomplished, once again.
 
I met Roger Shah at the backstage of Ferry’s Full on Event at ADE 2012 in Amsterdam and I requested a video interview which we didn’t manage to do. During that night, Roger Shah appeared as a guest when Aly & Fila played their magnificent co-production ‘Perfect Love’, which is included on ‘Magic Island vol.4’ compilation. The release of the fourth volume of this legendary and very successful compilation was the perfect opportunity to do an interview, so we managed to do one, and I’m pleased that is ready right now for you to enjoy. As I always like to say; press play with Magic Island vol.4 on your CD or media player, and read his very truthful and sincere answers. Roger Shah is rising higher year after year, and he raises our souls and minds with his heartfelt inspirational productions and remixes.
 
Interview was written and conducted by Dimitri Kechagias, Radio/DJ/Music Journalist

Dimitri: First of all, it would be great to go back in time and ask you about your foundations in EDM. Who were the artists/DJ’s/producers that have influenced you the most in your career and your sound?
 
Roger Shah: I always listened to a wide range of music from the 80's new wave, rock, pop, italo disco, euro dance and then finally discovered trance. The music has always been melodic, I think this is what influenced me the most, so it's not about a specific genre or artist, more that I always liked to listen to great songs and melodies.

Dimitri: Can you pick up the most important tracks from various styles that have influenced your decision to get into the music business, and please explain to us why you chose them?
 
 
Roger Shah: My all time favourite dance track is ‘Paul Oakenfold - Southern Sun’, I was happy and honoured that I could do a new remix for my mi4 album. ‘U2 - With or Without You’ is for sure one of the biggest hits of all time, and influenced me a lot. I want to mention that I also love to listen to all the music score sound tracks from the big movies, since I love classical music, very inspiring.

Dimitri: After so many years that you have been part of the EDM circuit as a producer & DJ & label owner, I wonder which one of these three identities you feel more happy to be identified with, or if you prefer all of them?
 
Roger Shah: I think all three parts are very closely connected with each other, and I like all parts of them the same way. With my productions, I can create the music I love and feel to do, as a DJ I can present it live to my audience. Of course, this is the most exciting part, here you get the feedback from the people directly, and then it's to have your own label and freedom to release the music the way you want it.

Dimitri: “Roger Shah” sound has its own unique flavour and identity. Is it possible to define your current “Roger Shah” sound as a producer and in your DJ sets, because we notice that you changed your musical direction lately with more epic prog house elements in your tracks?
Roger Shah: I have to say that I haven't changed my direction lately, when you  listen to all my different alias, you realize that my music has always been very diverse, from uplifting trance, to Balearic but I always had some kind of housey influenced tracks and projects. I like the sound of 2012 and the fact that the styles are all mixed up. Actually this has been my idea and message all along when I released my “Open minded?” album last year, and started to work on it in 2010, because I never liked the fact that people wanna put you in a box. My new sound and style I play has no boundaries, I play what I like from Balearic to trance, from nice vocal tunes to pumping progressive house. Just one thing will always remain in my tracks, a nice melody or great vocal.

Dimitri: Your album ‘Open-minded?’ has a most appropriate title as you challenge the perceptions of the EDM community of the kind of tracks that you are able to produce. Have you received any angry comments from die-hard trance fans for your decision to explore new music territories in this album, and can you recall for us the best feedback you received for this album?
 
Roger Shah: haha... yes of course, a lot of people hated me for it, but there are always haters, and you can't make it right for everybody, since everybody has their own taste for music and understanding, so have I. I started to compose music because of my love and passion for music, and so I still do what I love and feel and want to do. Where there are haters there are also appreciators, and after the first shock I got huge responses, and also every track which was released as a single from the album turned out to be big in several countries. From Morning Star (#1 radio charts in Germany), Hide u (#5 k dance charts), Shine (#11 UK dance charts), Dance with me (#1 radio charts in Germany again) and tracks like ‘One Love’ or my new single ‘Island’ created huge impacts in dance-land, so I think my vision and sound and final decision to go for it no matter what, has been a good one.

Dimitri: Right after the Ibiza summer season you release the fourth instalment of your brilliant compilation ‘Magic Island – Music For Balearic People’. Can you tell us how long it took you to select the tracks for this album, and what criteria you had in your mind for the kind of tracks that you wanted to pick up for this compilation?
 
 
Roger Shah:  Actually it took me kind of the whole year to put it together in the way I wanted it. While I had just 100% new and exclusive tracks for vol 1 -3, I wanted to have for vol. 4 an album which is really representing me as a DJ, so I did a nice balance of my own tracks and remixes, new exclusive tracks, but also some highlight tunes from my tour. Criteria have been that I have to love the tracks and they have to fit to the other songs on the album.

Dimitri: Do you feel that the big success of the previous episodes have created certain expectations from the people for this compilation, and you were in a way obliged to satisfy those expectations?
 
Roger Shah: Of course I felt that and I know that some people who expect a vol. 4 in a 100% direction of vol.1-3, they will be disappointed. But if you listen to the music nowadays, the music style has changed so much since 2010, and I’m not a wizard and I can just select the best tracks out there in my opinion. This is also the same for my radio show, I think also there my style has changed into what you can listen to on vol. 4, since I play the best tracks I receive every week in my opinion. So it's hard to keep trying to play your old trademark sound, if nobody is producing and releasing it anymore, so you have to go with the flow. But I can say that my new Sun lounger album with be into a 100% Balearic trademark direction, away from any current sound and style.

Dimitri: Did you mix the compilation live or did you have the aid of computer software, in order to achieve a perfect mix?
 
Roger Shah: Since I changed my DJ sets from playing with vinyl and CD’s into more a half a DJ live setup, I use Ableton to mix, since there I can incorporate my soft synths, and play top line melodies with my keyboard. So I used Ableton to have a perfect mix.

Dimitri: Can you please select for us the Top five highlight tracks from this compilation that you feel you are very happy to have been able to include?
 
Roger Shah: Kim Svard - When The Sun Goes Down, Sunlounger & Rocking J - Finca, Cosmic Gate - Over The Rainbow (my favourite tune of the year), Third Party - Feel, Paul Oakenfold - Southern Sun (Roger Shah remix)

Dimitri: The compilation includes your collaboration with Aly & Fila for the magnificent Balearic trance love song ‘Perfect Love’. Would you like to tell us why and under what circumstances you decided to collaborate with the Egyptian trance duo, and why you chose the particular vocalist? Are you going to release a remix EP for this great track?

 
 
Roger Shah:  I have a strong and personal friendship with Fila especially, and we always wanted to do a song together. Finally we found some time to do it, it was his wish to choose Adrina out of my singers, so after we composed the basics and track structure, I flew to Los Angeles to record the vocals with Adrina and finished the first mix. After it turned out to be so unique and huge, Fila felt that he just wanted to have the people focused on this version, and a lot of DJ’s are playing it. So I am not sure if we release remixes of it.
 

                                          


Dimitri: We notice that your record label was inactive for some time after you started releasing only Roger Shah tracks on it. Are you going to carry on releasing personal Roger Shah tracks on Magic Island, or will you bring tracks from other great artist’s as well, and particularly new talent?

 
Roger Shah: To be honest, this has been a decision made by Armada - to focus just on my own productions, instead of signing new artists to my label. That’s why some of the amazing tracks like ‘Kim Svard - When The Sun Goes Down’, which is my favourite track from the album and has huge hit potential, got signed to my brother's label, and we’ve already got interest from some big record companies for it.

Dimitri: Are you going to support the release of the compilation with a club tour as well? In which other locations can we expect to see you in the near future, and should we look forward to those performances?
 
Roger Shah: My new agency is already working on a ‘Magic Island’ world tour which will officially kick off next year, since my schedule for this year has already been made. Next shows I have are in Germany, Australia and South Africa, but I’m sure you can find me anywhere around the world, since I will play my tour and sound of the album for at least until June 2013

Dimitri: Do you enjoy spending a lot of time interacting with your fans through Facebook, Twitter or other social networks, or do you believe that you should devote more time on it as social media are extremely important for the development of your career?
 
Roger Shah: Enjoy spending time on Facebook and Twitter when I have it, but I still think that most of my time should be devoted to my music. But I really enjoy to tweet and see reactions when I share some moments of my life with my fans.

 

Dimitri:  After this compilation, are we going to get an Open-minded remix album or maybe a new album?  Are there any remixes that you have finished for other artists that we can look forward to?
 
Roger Shah: We are discussing an open-minded remix album at the moment, but I am not sure about it since I want to focus on the new songs from the mi4 album, and push and play them. Just started to work on a new Sunlounger album which is going to be very beautiful and back to my 100% Balearic sound, away from any current sound, creating a beautiful piece to listen to. I did remixes for Paul Oakenfold - Southern Sun, Emma Hewitt - Foolish Boy, Rocking j & Chris Gallo - Everything Is You, and of course the amazing Betsie Larkin & Ferry Corsten single – ‘Stars’, that are all featured on the album. New remixes to watch out soon for are Plastic Boy – ‘Silver Bath’, and at the moment I am working on a remix for Signum – ‘Come Around Again’.

Dimitri: Last question is about the future prospects of EDM culture in countries like USA. Do you believe that the future is bright for European artists to get more recognition in USA, and do you have more bookings in USA as a result of this great growth?
 
Roger Shah: Yes I have, and EDM is going huge over there, but I’m in USA, especially Los Angeles every month, because I work on orchestral work for a big company in Hollywood, and also got signed by Disney as an in-house composer. This gives me a good chance to follow up with the US market a bit better as well, and see the progress there.
 
 
Many thanks to Roger Shah for his time to reply to this very informative and revealing interview.
 
Many thanks to Carmen van der Werf from Armada Music press office for helping me out to organize this superb interview.
 
Many thanks to Tjerk Coers at Armada Music for his top support in my shows.
 
Many thanks to Paul at 1mix radio for proofing the final version of this interview.

Check this interview on 1mix radio web site too, click here
 
 
 


Magic Island Vol.4 - Tracklist
CD1
01 Sean Norvis & Seepryan - Ibiza Feelings
02 Garrido & Skehan - Split Second
03 Rocking J - New Dawn
04 Jamie Carpenter feat. Ciaran Warren - You're Not Alone
05 Sunlounger & Zara Taylor - Try To Be Love (Roger Shah Naughty Love Mix)
06 Kim Svard feat. Chase - When The Sun Goes Down (MI4 Mix)
07 Sunlounger & Rocking J - Finca (Roger Shah & Rocking J Original Mix)
08 Julian Wess & Mike Carey - Limitless
09 Hanski & Jjoo - Utopia
10 Aly & Fila meet Roger Shah feat. Adriana Thorpe - Perfect Love
11 Rikkaz & Vast Vision - Denpasar (MI4 Edit)
12 Roger Shah feat. Adrina Thorpe - Island (Antillas Club Mix)
13 Epos - Polarized (Roger Shah Anthem Mix)
14 Roger Shah feat. Carla Werner - One Love (Andrew Rayel Remix)
15 Roman Messer - Come Home (MI4 Mix)
 
                                                      
 


CD2
01 Areeena - Between 2 Worlds (MI4 Intro Mix)
02 Emma Hewitt - Foolish Boy (Roger Shah Naughty Boy Remix)
03 Sunstrom - The Float
04 Tune In Tokyo - Ray Of Love (Denzal Park Remix)
05 Addict DJ’s feat. Ellenyi - Walk Away (Pedro Henriques Remix)
06 Global Experience - Fox & Koi (Roger Shah & Brian Laruso Original Mix)
07 Third Party vs Cicada - Feel
08 Mike Shiver feat. Bo Bruce - Still Here (Carl Louis & Martin Danielle Remix)
09 Kim Svard feat. Szen - Break Of Dawn (MI4 Mix)
10 Rocking J & Chris Gallo - Everything Is You (Roger Shah Areeena Remix)
11 Cosmic Gate & J’Something - Over The Rainbow
12 Betsie Larkin & Ferry Corsten - Stars (Roger Shah Pumpin' Island Mix)
13 Paul Oakenfold - Southern Sun (Roger Shah Remix)
14 Wach with Roman Sokolovski - Alesia
15 Alexander Popov feat. Kyler England - My World
 
                                             
 
 
Tour schedule Roger Shah 2012-2013
11/24/2012 Pedro Del Mar B-Day Party Germany Hamburg
11/30/2012 Private event Germany
12/1/2012 Private event Germany
12/7/2012 Australia
12/8/2012 Australia
12/14/2012 Australia
12/15/2012 Australia
12/21/2012 Sasazu Prague Czech Rep.
12/22/2012 Club show Albania Tirana
12/31/2012 NYE festival @ Truth Johannesburg South Africa
01/01/2013 Cape Town South Africa

 
 
Additional info: