01:45:00
A+ A-

Interview with George Acosta


Interview is written and conducted by Dimitri Kechagias “Flux Bpm On The Move”


Miami based DJ/Producer George Acosta has been active in the industry for more than 20 years. As the founder of his own Waxhead Records label, he remixed countless artists from the B52s to Ultra Nate to Jon Secada and released seminal mix compilations like “Miami Beach Bash” and “Trance Nation America”. In 2007 he became America’s Best DJ, received a Grammy nomination for a remix he did for Fabulous and became member of the ‘Remix and Producer’s Grammy Committee’. Early 2010, George Acosta signed with Black Hole Recordings and now presents his first mix compilation for the label, entitled “From Miami To Amsterdam”.

  The year 2010 so far has been a very fruitful year for George. Over the period of a few months he released the highly successful singles “Beautiful”, “Love Rain Down On Me”, “True Love” and “Tearing Me Apart”; all featuring the stunning vocals of Fisher. His productions appeared on several mix compilations, including “In Search of Sunrise 8, South Africa” by Richard Durand, “Back 2 Back 4” by Cosmic Gate and John O’Callaghan’s “Trance World, Vol.4”. His prolific production skills are internationally known and the remix assignments for such big names as BT, Cosmic Gate, Zoo Brazil, Daniel Wanrooy and many, many others still pour in on a daily basis.

 Despite his super busy schedule, George took the time to carefully assemble his two sets and secured the hottest new tracks to create an energetic deep trance session. In the first mix, George tells his story as a DJ and delivers a mesmerizing set that shows exactly what it means when he works the decks with, amongst others, tracks from System F, Carlo Calabro and Zoo Brazil. In the second set George showcases his own productions and remixes, everything masterfully blended with material from Cosmic Gate, BT, First State and more. “From Miami To Amsterdam” is the ultimate proof that George Acosta is still on top of the game, both as a DJ and producer, always dedicated to entertain his audience.

 The superb mixed compilation “From Miami To Amsterdam” and the great tracks that he has released this year through Black Hole recordings mainly with Fisher on vocals and on his own label Aco Music are the perfect opportunity to enquire and finally manage to conduct an interview with this brilliant artist Dj and Producer. In the following lines George take us on a massive journey through his career and he explains with his own words the current state of trance scene in the USA and the whole globe. Also he tell us how the scene has changed through the years from his great releases on Talla XLC legendary label Music Research, all the way to his great productions and remixes that have topped many download portals and have push many people to dance, and others have been touched so deeply by his songs, that they even cried on the dancefloor like me. I’m very satisfied with this interview cause George open his heart and he doesn’t afraid to say things as they are and most importantly it’s worth reading from start to finish if you wish to get a slice of life and learn from his experience. Why not while outside is snowing on your favourite media player put his album to play, prepare yourself a hot cup of chocolate and enjoy reading this interview.




Dimitri: First of all please tell us when you came across electronic dance music and if you can remember the track from your favourite dance genre that struck a chord in you and why??


George Acosta: I came across dance music in the 90’s and house music was definitely my genre of choice I was always influenced by German techno and NY house, I would say tracks from Josh Wink, Sven Väth and tunes similar to that were in my play list as well as in my thoughts in making something like this one day.

Dimitri: Can you spot for us the main differences and similarities of the dance electronic music scene in USA and Europe? Do you believe that there are certain genres that are more American or more European, for instance many people mention that trance is a European genre.

George Acosta: The American Scene has and always is geared towards house music and the European scene is more geared into Trance and more faster paced high energy dance; Germans with harder techno, Europeans with the Drum and Bass/Trance and so on and so on.

Dimitri: By continuing on the same vein, do you believe that trance music is popular and recognized in the USA? If not why you believe it is happening??

George Acosta:As for the USA Market the house/electro/progressive house and slower tempo music is more accepted in the clubs that are more geared into the older crowds of 21 years and older, that listen to slower, but yet driving music. So to answer your question, in the USA it is less popular but trance is popular for a hand full of producers that sell tickets for promoters/clubs.

Nothing is really happening, people just grow up and have a change in style with their music and they evolve to a more mature sound. It’s a cycle that has happened since day one.

Trance Music in general globally is well accepted since most of the crowds which come to these events, clubs and festival are a younger generation which have crossed to the 18 and up towards 25 crowd which love to go out and enjoy themselves.




Dimitri: When was your first DJ gig and when did you have your first ever release on a record label. Can you describe us how you felt playing in front of a big audience as a DJ for first time and how did you feel when you saw your name and your release pressed on vinyl??


George Acosta:OK, so here is how my story goes. I was a DJ around south beach in the 90s and was always asked to do a guest spot at little rave parties and also I was the promoter of my own Saturday night parties at the time. So I got asked to play a rave at a big nightclub at the time, named “Warsaw” and this party had many DJs that I would admire and look up to, such as Josh Wink, Eric Morillo and Armand van Helden. Then I asked myself what is it that I can bring to the table to make these guys notice me and stand out, so I thought I would make a track and sample some drums so that people would ask me ‘what is it that you are playing?’ well, to make a long story short, I sampled some beats, I wrote a song to it and I had the vocals done by “Nadie Rene” and this track was called Planet Soul - “Set you Free”. Immediately after playing this track I had people asking the name and if it was signed to any label. I freaked out that it worked because I had no idea what I was doing; I was just having fun. 5 years later the track appeared on my favourite label at the time: Strictly Rhythm. It sold over a million copies and my career had definitely started

Dimitri: You have passed from very interesting labels like Music Research in Germany back in the glorious days of trance, Armada and now Black Hole recordings. Can you tell us the main differences that you have spotted in the trance scene from its very beginning to the modern, digital era?

George Acosta: I really love this question because it tells history and yes they have all been very interesting to say the least, with the first label:

Music Research, it was headed by a good friend of mine, Talla2XLC, which in the glory days of trance was producing a lot of great records and was releasing for the likes of Taucher, Moguai and TT Hacky to name a few and in those days the music was really forthcoming and had a great future. What happened to this genre is just something out of the twilight zone but it helped open up doors for the new breed which to date do very well.

On Armada, what we can say is that it’s headed by Armin Van Buuren, Maykel and one more person I believe and it is a well-structured machine which today hosts some of the best independent labels in the world. As for my involvement, we just released a few records and that was about it.

On to Black Hole Recordings, all I have to say is that I am really happy with their structured enterprise and the people at Black Hole Recordings know how to really put the attention on the artists and we always welcome constructive criticism. They’re very good at what works and for that I am very honoured to be releasing my album at Black Hole Recordings.

As for what I have spotted in trance music, is that back in the days when we still sold vinyl records, there was a sense of pride when you made it and you actually touched it or received it from the label or promo pool, to when you played it on a turntable in the club and you could hear the raw, rich and thick sound when injected to the sound system.

On the Digital form for me now, it’s like a matrix you know, you make records, you put them out, you try to get them to chart by your team, to be in the spotlight for a week and then on to the next record, since it’s so easy to deliver music but there is always a lot of ***** (LOL) and you then have to look through the jungle because it is so saturated.

Dimitri: Please can you choose from your back catalogue your favourite 3 productions and 3 remixes that you have done for other artists. Please explain why those are your favourites.


George Acosta:OK, in the back catalogue I must say working with Fisher has been a blessing “True Love” and “Beautiful” were one of my best. Also working in the passed with John Secada in “Just Another Day” was a great experience.

Dimitri: Can you please take us on a virtual tour in your studio and describe your current set up. Do you have a favourite piece of hardware or software that you enjoy most using?

George Acosta: At my studio right now I have an Apple Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2 Intel Xeon, running Ableton, Protools and I think every plugin software know to make sure I don’t miss a beat. On the hardware side of things I run 2 Apogee Resetta 800 with a Digidesign Expansion Chassis. Then we got some outboard pre’s:

2 Empirical Labs - Distressor
1 Avalon 747
1.Focusrite Red 8
1.Ventech Audio Dual 72
1.DbX 166
1.Virtualizer
Euphonix Mc Control & Mc Mix
Tascam DA – 30
Motu Midi Express 128
Waldorf – Q & Waldorf – Pulse
Virus Ti
Roland Juno 106 & Roland Juno 60
Ensonic ASR 10
M-Audio Axiom 61
Yamaha U5 - 52" Acoustic Upright U Series Piano
Genelec 1031a, Yamaha HS80, Yamaha NS10


Dimitri: You set up at Fektive records in Holland and your own record label Aco Music. What is the mission statement behind this label and why you took the decision to do it? Are you satisfied with the way that the label is moving at the moment?


George Acosta: As for the mission for Aco-Music, it was to present the more signature style of the sound I am focusing on right now and to hand pick artists that I really enjoy that are new breed which I like to give back my support.

As for the Fektive Label and being satisfied I am going to say “I plea the 5th” as I would not like to incriminate myself at this time. My manager Francisco Pacheco is in the final stages of getting a deal inked to move the label to a more structured, balanced company which will secure the direction which I am headed in my career. This is sad for us as we really like Fektive but their attention is clearly in their business and I seek for the attention for my business.

Dimitri: Can you choose your favourite Aco music release so far and give us a hint of the forthcoming releases that we should look forward too.

George Acosta: My favourite release is “I know” feat Tiff Lacey and in second I must say “Nite Time”. Up and coming tunes are by my close friends due to the release of the album on Black Hole: ACO011 – Tony and Ruby Feat. Lofi Sugar, ACO012 – Julius Beat – Real Life, ACO013 - Moonwalkers - Stars on Earth, ACO014 – VIF Vs. George Acosta – Give me your love

Dimitri: Do you accept demos from other artists to release on Aco or is it a vehicle for your own releases only? If yes can you offer your piece of wisdom on how they can make their demo more attractive to record labels?

George Acosta:Yes, we accept demos all the time and you can email music@georgeacosta.com  and I will personally get in contact with the artists if something stands out and of course when I am available. Yes, I will release a single here and there but it was really an avenue for me to remix other artists’ work and release under my own brand here and there, my work goes to Black Hole Recordings.

To make your demos more attractive for the record labels, I would say, read a lot, go to school and be passionate about music, network every day and build relationships for your future and always be humble. Do not give up on your dreams and “JUST DO IT” by MJ
Dimitri: For your fantastic releases on Black Hole you have worked along with Fisher. Can you please tell us how you came across her and how this collaboration is going at the moment? Are you going to carry on working together?


George Acosta: My manager Francisco Pacheco from Unknown World has worked with Fisher on other records and I asked him to reach out, he then contacted Ron Wasserman from Fisher and Kathy which, let me say this for the record, are by far some of the best writers. Kathy is a true singer but most importantly a true artist in her field and yes, we will continue to work with them.

Dimitri: Are there any other vocalists that you wish to have them as guest vocalist in your tracks and why?

George Acosta: Well I have always wanted to work with Jes, but I had the pleasure to work on a remix of her song with BT so, yes, Jes and also Sarah McLachlan. I love her vocals, as they are mesmerizing.

Dimitri: It’s time to talk about your digital mix compilation From Miami to Amsterdam. Can you let us know how you mixed it? With CD players as live experience or everything was processed digitally with mixing software?

George Acosta: Well at first I mixed it with Pioneer CDJs and tried all tracks to make sure I was in the vibe. I also did the same set in several nightclubs and made sure the vibe was good for the crowd. After this I returned to Ableton and made it digital. This is how I made it, to be as professional as possible.


Dimitri: From the two mixes included in this compilation, can you choose your 3 favourite tracks that stand out and characterize the atmosphere of the whole compilation?


George Acosta: George Acosta featuring Fisher – Love Rain Down (Original)
George Acosta – The Reaper 2010
68 Beatz featuring Lizzie Curious – Set Me Free (George Acosta Mix)





Dimitri: Of course you have mixed many compilations in your long lasting career. Is it possible from all your compilations to choose your own favourite that you still listen to in your car and you never get bored with?

George Acosta: My favourite for me is “Awake” which was released by Ultra Records in the United States.

Dimitri: Do you listen to mixed compilations from other artists? Do you have an all-time loved compilation from other DJs? If so, explain why you believe it is the best and not easy to reach from another artist.

George Acosta: Its hard to listen to other compilations as I am constantly working, but from time to time I listen to more chill out stuff and yes definitely, with a big compilation like for example ISOS 8, I listen often because I like to hear what is going on with others in the business

Dimitri: Do you use Internet and social networks actively? Do you see them as vital to boost someone’s career and build a loyal fan base?

George Acosta: Yes, I used all the toys that social media have given us in order to reach that one person, which has yet to come out of their bedroom and the ever-changing world of direct promotions into the mass world in which we live today.

In building a vital loyal fan base this all comes down to your productions and live shows in my opinion, I think we are clear that music moves great things and together with the social media, this makes a very easy tool to reach your audience.

Dimitri: Do you have your own radio show? If yes please describe us what is all about and if you feel radio shows are vital in order to cultivate your relationship with your fans?


George Acosta: I have been producing my own show for over 6 years in Sirius Satellite Radio called the “Lost World”; you can check it out at www.lostworldshow.com

The show is all about new music weekly and about the tracks that I feel will go well in my performances, I believe that a radio show for a great deal opens up the doors to a wider audience and it brings more attention to the new fans which are about to be aware of my every day growth within the market place.




Dimitri: Please give us your message to the people who will check out this interview.

George Acosta: First, let me say thank you for this interview as it is the first interview which covers what a real interview should be about and for that I am very grateful and honoured to be making this for my fans, for the people which will read this: thank you for all the years you have supported my work and I have no plans to slow down. My goal now is to break into Europe, which I have with other projects in the past, but now we have set eyes into that market and the productions are doing superb in these regions. I look forward to serving my fans with the quality music I so strongly desire to produce.

I would like to say a huge thanks to George Acosta for finding some time to reply in this interview in a such enlightening and informative way.


Many thanks to Jeroen at Black Hole recordings offices who is a real treasure and he has helped so much to organise and have this interview ready for your eyes.

Many thanks to Mark at Black Hole recordings offices for being always so helpful to provide me amazing music to present in my radio shows.


The tracklisting of George Acosta ““From Miami To Amsterdam” Digital only compilation is as follows:
Mix 1
01. Alex Kunnari & Heikki L. featuring MaxC - Brand New Day (Lovetone Remix)
02. System F - Out Of The Blue (Laidback Luke Remix)
03. Re-Zone - Brainstorm (Original_Mix)
04. Carlo Calabro - Rude Dude (George Acosta Remix)
05. Steve Kaetzel featuring Brianna Holan - So Alone (Acosta Edit)
06. D.E.R. & Julius Beat - Our Feeling (KhoMha Remix).
07. George Acosta - Feelings (Danilo Ercole Remix)
08. David Solano & Apollo V featuring Morgan Hayes - Another World (David Solano mix)
09. 68 Beatz featuring Lizzie Curious - Set Me Free (George Acosta Mix)
10. Zoo Brazil featuring Leah - You Can Have It All (George Acosta Remix)
11. George Acosta featuring Tiff Lacey - I Know (Beat Service Proglifting Remix)
12. Gerry Cueto - Bad Color
13. George Acosta featuring Fisher - True love (Gerry Cueto Remix)

Mix 2
01. George Acosta - The Reaper 2010
02. Cosmic Gate - Barra
03. George Acosta featuring Kate - Night Time (Ruby & Tony Remix)
04. George Acosta featuring Fisher - True Love (George Acosta Club Mix)
05. BT featuring Jes - Every Other way (George Acosta Remix)
06. First State featuring Sarah Howells - Reverie
07. George Acosta - Dimention
08. George Acosta - Block
09. Dero & Rivera - 1980 (George Acosta Mix)
10. Whelan & Di Scala – Achilles (OFFBeat Remix)
11. George Acosta featuring Fisher - Love Rain Down (Original)
12. Flash Brothers - Dosza (George Acosta Remix)
13. Ralphie B - Massive 2010 (Jonas Stenberg Remix)
14. George Acosta featuring Fisher - Beautiful (Original Mix)

From Miami To Amsterdam is available for download at the following portals:
iTunes:

http://itunes.apple.com/nl/album/black-hole-recordings-presents/id391729874

Dance-Tunes:
http://www.dance-tunes.com/#home/tune/745600/black-hole-recordings/george-acosta/continuous-mix-miami-to-amsterdam-mix-1/original-mix
Additional info:
http://www.georgeacosta.com/
http://www.blackholerecordings.com/


Check the George Acosta videos:



You can check this interview also on the following links: