05:22:00
A+ A-

Interview with The Wash about his track End Of The Road on UV


From the love for banging Trance over driving Techno to hypnotic Progressive, from remixing Progressive House legends to collaborating with Grammy Nominees, from playing small venues to big festivals – The Wash has done it all. Since having started as a young club kid with vinyl in his pocket, the guy from Austria has made himself a name in the scene of contemporary electronic music.

His production approach towards deep, hypnotic club tunes with a large portion of groove and a pinch of melody has caught the attention of artists on every corner of the map, his productions and remixes are played and admired by legends from Nicole Moudaber over Guy J to Cosmic Gate and are regular guests in the Beatport Top 100.

In his sets, he transfers his production style on the dancefloor. In appearances in well known clubs in his hometown as well as in his residency at the Viennese Hard On, he regularly showcases his DJ skills all night long and sets the mood for an intense party night.


1-Dimitris: It would be nice to start by telling us your 3 most important achievements or goals fulfilled in your career so far that you very are proud of.

The Wash: - Winning a remix competition, that opened a lot of doors.

- Being a core artist of one of my favorite labels, Mango Alley

- Having the guts to start producing even if I already felt too old for starting a career in music in 2016

2-Dimitris: Why and under which circumstances did you took the decision to start DJing or producing electronic dance music?

The Wash: I had a big love for German trance compilations of the 90s and early 2000s like Kontor and Technoclub and this combined with my passion for collecting music led me to the decision to buy turntables in the year 2000.

In terms of producing I am a real late starter. Bought a licence of Ableton Live in 2010 but never got any single usable tone out of it. In 2016 I thought screw it, ditched Live and bought a licence of Logic Pro. And suddenly it worked. Always had the desire to do more than DJing and I am happy that I made the step.

3-Dimitris: Can you note down the top 3 producers that have influenced your decision to get involved in the electronic dance music scene and you admire and respect them very much?

The Wash: Oliver Lieb

A master. His productions in the early 2000s were so outstanding and different and he definitely is a rolemodel for me.


Mango

He helped me so much when I did my first steps in the business and until now he is my go to source of wisdom. And a really lovely guy too!


Cid Inc

When I started producing I always wanted to sound like him. His productions are always to the point and defined my taste more than I can express in words.


4-Dimitris: Can you tell us the top 3 tracks from the past that have influenced your sound the most and why?

The Wash: Aquilia - Dreamstate (LSG Remix)

The perfect symbiosis of Techno, Trance and Progressive. Hard, driving but incredibly groovy. A buildup for eternity. Waving soundscapes. Great supporting samples. When you hear it you feel it.

Roger Martinez - Pan-O-Rama (Cid Inc. Remix)

Out of the loads of amazing tracks of Cid Inc. this is one of my favorites. Deep and groovy, an arpeggio that goes directly into your mind and a twist after the break that makes you scream. Still a benchmark for all contemporary Progressive tracks.

Karen Overton - Your Loving Arms (Luca Ricci Tribal Edit)

A gem from the first golden era of Progressive. Deep and sensual, with the mesmerizing vocals that only distantly remind you of the original. Luca added to the stripped down original the perfect amount of groove and atmosphere which makes it a timeless piece of art.


5-Dimitris: It would be fantastic to talk about your track End Of The Road out now on UV. Please tell us how this top track came about and what was the idea behind it.

The Wash:"End Of The Road" was written during a pretty rough time in my life last summer. I struggled with my mental health and doing music was kind of part of the healing process. So the idea was basically to find a way to calm my mind down and ease the pressure I was feeling at that time.

6-Dimitris: How long it took you to produce it and can u describe the production process in simple steps?

The Wash: I had 2 other ideas around which I didn't know what to do with - opened one of my templates in Bitwig, combined the two ideas and dropped an arpeggio over it. I have a lot of go to samples and presets from past projects in my library so it's very often copy and paste. Basically the track was complete in 1 and a half work days.

7-Dimitris: Did you had any particular difficulties accomplishing that particular track or any specific technical challenges or obstacles that you had to overcome during its production.

The Wash: Upfront I had the two projects that I've mentioned before - combining ideas was key to come up with something good. I sometimes feel like a mechanic that uses 3 broken lawnmowers to make 1 that works ;-)

8-Dimitris: If you would have the opportunity to change something in your track and maybe to do a new remix what elements are you unhappy with and you are going to change? Is there any artist that you feel would be fantastic to remix this track and why?

The Wash: No regrets, nothing to be changed. Ask me in a couple of years :-)

Actually I am asking myself what Patrice Bäumel would do with such a piece to be honest.

9- Dimitris: Which music composition software or hardware you prefer and why? What is your opinion of the latest movement to produce music with more analogue equipment and with less or without any digital software?

The Wash: I only have a Behringer 303 clone and do everything else in the box with Bitwig. I often miss the possibility to turn real knobs so I might add some hardware to my setup. In general I think it is important that you are comfortable with what you're using instead of letting others tell you what the "right way" is. When samples make you creative, go for it. You are creating the best results with a modular setup? Perfect! You produce incredible stuff only with Ableton Live and its onboard material? I love it!

10-Dimitris: Do you prefer vocal or instrumental tracks? If there are vocals on the track we discuss about tell us about the singer you work with?

The Wash: I used to avoid vocal tracks but over the years I got more and more into them. So both works for me. Actually there no vocals on "End Of The Road" but I would be curious what a vocalist would do with it!


11-Dimitris: Are there any vocalists/singers on electronic dance music you aspire to work with?

The Wash: Not an electronic artist but I absolutely love the voice of Patrick Lammer, a viennese singer/songwriter I am happy to work with since this year.

12-Dimitris: Please choose the most powerful lyrics ever included in a dance track and why these lyrics have touched you so deeply and have a special meaning for you?

The Wash: That's a tough one but if i had to boil it down to the very start it would be The Beloved - Sweet Harmony. It describes the world I want to live in, an utopia yes but one that it is worth to work on.

13-Dimitris: Do you believe that artwork on your latest track is good and do you believe that artwork can attract listeners or record buyers? Can you mention the best artwork of a track ever released?

The Wash: Yes and yes! I love the visual signature of the UV releases that really makes me feel comfy. And I have the same flowers in my garden at home so I am super happy that this one made it onto the cover of "End Of The Road"

Best artwork ever - I don't have a single release in mind but there are labels that are really nailing it: UV as mentioned, Mango Alley and Replug for example. The first two with organic and nature related themes and the latter with a stripped down and very geometrical approach, all of them really appealing to me.

14-Dimitris: Can you pick your favorite top 3 record labels including the one released the track that we discuss in this interview and give us a short comment about why these labels are important to you and the music scene too?

The Wash: UV is really a label I got attached to because of Paul Thomas. His approach to tear down walls between genres is something that is really needed in this world where everything needs to be labeled.


Mango Alley is my home since years and when I take a look into what I play as a DJ it is the most played imprint in my tracklists. Such diverse and well crafted releases with such a strong person behind it, the professionalism and the friendliness, you can't copy that.

Juicebox is one name I don't want to forget here. I got to know Praveen before we both even started producing and I have nothing but respect of what he built in the last decade. Always high quality, always surprising and lots of tracks on there that became classics for me personally.

15-Dimitris: Are you planning to complete an album or mix compilation soon? if yes please give us all the details about regarding tracks and how will look and sound like?

The Wash: Nothing planned. I released a mix compilation on Mango Alley in spring 2023 and it was so much fun that it certainly won't be the last one.

16-Dimitris: Can you pick up your all time favorite album and tell us why you adore it so much?

The Wash: Not really an album guy here to be honest. Enjoyed Quivver's ReKonstrukt from 2018 a lot though, a mixture of album and compilation. He's a great producer with a real signature sound and lots of groove and that one ran on repeat back then when it came out.

17-Dimitris:How much time do you spend promoting yourself in your social media and you see this as essential tool for self promotion and getting bookings too? Which social media is the one that seems to work better for you?

The Wash: I should do very much more than I actually do. There are phases where I tend to be more active but in general I tend to spend more time with the thing that's most important: creating music.

But when I am active in social media you can find me on Instagram.

18-Dimitris: Do you have your own radio show/podcast/twitch stream or Vlog(video blog)? If yes please give us a comment about it and how long it take you to prepare for it and if you are always excited to produce it?

The Wash : I had a regular show on an austrian broadcasting station years ago but no projects running now. But as I have to move my ass a little to promote my DJ activities it might not be the worst idea to do something on that topic again. I am streaming unregularly with my dear friend and VJ Shine VEX under my ATELIER brand on Mixcloud where I'm playing usually 4-5 hour sets that are delivered with some amazing visuals. Next one will be at the end of November.

19-Do you post videos on tiktok? 

The Wash: Not on tiktok :) Instagram is my go-to portal when it comes to social media.

20-Dimitris: Do you have any gigs/festival performances confirmed so far for 2023 in which ones are you most excited to perform and why?

The Wash: I am this year at Amsterdam Dance Event! You can catch me as a visitor on the UV boat party on Saturday (Oct. 21) and on Sunday I'm playing at the Manual Music x Mango Alley Party at Akhnaton on Sunday (Oct. 22)!

21-Dimitris: Please share your most funny and most serious incident that happen to you during your DJ or LIVE PA performance?

The Wash: Back in 2009 when I played at Creamfields in the Czech Republic I took off my sweater and accidentally stripped off my earplugs which led 5 persons to crawl around on the floor of the stage for 10 minutes searching for it. Must have been a funny thing to watch ;-)

22-Dimitris: Are you happy about the quality of the tracks released in your preferred music genres? Please justify your answer with your opinion about it!

The Wash: In general yes but sometimes I wish that the tracks would be more unique. I am guilty of using sample packs a lot too but especially on the percussion side I can sometimes instantly tell which sample pack people used when producing the track.

23-Your current Top 3 tracks with short comment:



The Wash: Analog Jungs - Futura

A really strong track that reminds me of my favorite Techno days in 2003. Percussive and hard but also groovy and sensual.


Antix - The Hoard (John Monkman Remix)

A straight to the point track that really nails it. Staccato synths and as contrast a lovely synth pad in the break and then back to beat. It can be so simple.

Astral Base - Survive It (Digital Mess Remix)

Digital Mess is certainly one of my discoveries 2023. He perfectly blends melodic and techy vibes with contemporary Progressive. And again: the groove!

24-Dimitris: If you expect to have a steady income from your music productions are you satisfied with the way that royalties system works particularly regarding streaming revenue? Do you believe that artists get what they deserve from streaming providers/DJs playing your tracks in gigs/radio and selling music in physical formats like CDs/Vinyl or digitally.

The Wash: Honestly no, but I think in order to change that the whole system need a complete makeover. For me it still feels like people are trying to push old processes and habits into a new system. No idea what it could be but we need a proper disruption here to make musicians getting the value of their work paid again.

25-Dimitris: Please note for all the new talents that read this interview to get some inspiration from you any technical tips in relation to your DJing or music productions. Also any piece of personal or music business' advice that has helped you to progress even further and is worth telling to the new upcoming talents.

The Wash: If you are watching tutorials on YouTube or production courses: great! BUT: try to stop watching and start acting.

Make mistakes. Be proud of them. See them as a sign that you are trying.

Don't try too hard copying other artists, try to define and deliver your own sound.

If you are struggling with a part of the process, get someone to help you. If you find someone that can do certain things (mastering, marketing, managment) better than you, try to get them on board.

Try to find a peer group that makes you feel less alone.

26-Dimitris: Many producers and DJs offer online masterclasses or teach to music production & DJing courses. Do you believe is essential to take part in any of these courses to develop your skills? Are you are offering any of these services? or other related services like ghost-producing or mastering? please tell us about these activities

The Wash: Since I am a business coach with years of experience in top level management coaching I am setting up a coaching offer for musicians. Not for the technical aspects but what to do with them. It's about your goals, your mindset and your habits and structures. I think people sometimes use courses as an excuse for not delivering. "I still have to learn so much" or "I am not good enough" sometimes leads that you watch tutorials over and over without practicing.


27-Dimitris: Is there a club classic that you would like to remix or rework in 2023? Do you attempt often to do your own bootlegs of classics?

The Wash: I am currently working on a cover of a big 80s hit from France. Come to my gig at the Manual x MA party at ADE to hear it :-)

28-Dimitris: Please choose the best and worst remix of club classic and tell us why you like or dislike them.

The Wash: I loved Solomun's take on "The Age Of Love" a lot since he really managed to transfer the essence of the original into a contemporary sound costume.

I actually don't think a lot about music I don't like, I focus on the music I like. So no "worst of" from me here :-)

29-Dimitris: How much do you care if your fans or followers like your productions? Do you struggle with the audience reception of your tracks and is this thought adds extra pressure on you and discourage you too?

The Wash: I sometimes struggle with visibility. As I am no marketing pro I just do what feels right and hope for the best. I also see it as part of my journey, I can't expect that everyone is raving about The Wash in a time where 30000 tracks are released on Beatport a day. But I am trying to make my way and I am really happy about the connections and friendships that I managed to build in the last years. Feedback is important for me but only from a couple of people.

30-Dimitris: Can you describe your music as certain music genre such as trance, house, techno or your music exempts these categorizations? What is your opinion about hybrid styles and artists who are attempting to mix influences from various genres in their tracks?

The Wash: Also here, whatever feels right for you is right. No innovation ever was based on people trying the same thing with the same tools. I am using old Trance samples in my tracks as well as Drum and Bass stuff. When it comes together naturally and feels naturally - why not?

31-Dimitris: Do you believe that audience should be banned from constantly taking photos or videos during DJ sets or are you happy with these activities?

The Wash: I get the urge to constantly create content but yes it sometimes puts me off.

32-Dimitris: Do you prefer small clubs or huge festivals to perform? in which festivals or clubs you aspire to play in the future?

The Wash: Both is fun - but as I am a passionate marathon DJ I'd say small venues and the possibility to play an open to close set. Stereo in Montreal is definitely on my bucket list.

33-Please choose for us your favourite holiday destination and share with us your most unforgettable holiday experience(good/bad)

The Wash: Having spent a big amount of my childhood and youth in Salzburg I am attached to mountains. Trying to visit my family in Salzburg as often as I can!

Dimitris: Your message & wishes for Flux Bpm Online readers.

The Wash: Hope you enjoyed my 2 cents about everything :-)

Thanks so much to The Wash for his excellent answers and definitely an interview worth reading!

Thanks to Stuart at UV for arranging this interview.