06:47:00
A+ A-

Interview with Cari about her collaboration with Yoshi & Razner on FSOE



There aren’t many voices that are as recognizable as Cari’s. Collaborating with the most talented producers in electronic dance music (Armin van Buuren, Ruben de Ronde, Giuseppe Ottaviani, RAM, Alexander Popov, Roman Messer, Somna, Steve Allen and many more) Cari has earned her spot on the scene.

When Cari (Carina Meeuwig) was born she was destined to become a musician. As a child, ever since she was tall enough to reach the piano keys, Cari taught herself to play, mostly classical and pop music. Raised in a family with wide musical tastes she discovered house music and later trance music; a new love-for-life was born. She started toying around with several producing programs to create her own tracks on which she wrote lyrics and sang with her characteristic voice. This voice was soon to be discovered by other producers. Cari's first collaboration in 2015 also meant her big breakthrough, with the song called 'Be A Dreamer', together with Denis Kenzo. It was immediately picked up by Armin van Buuren and supported several times in his radio show 'A State Of Trance'. Also it was voted in the 'ASOT top 50' that year. After this, many collaborations followed, giving Cari the opportunity to really develop her style which can best be described as magical melodies with inspiring lyrics and catchy hooks.

One of the landmarks in Cari's carreer is her collaboration with Armin van Buuren under his 'Rising Star' moniker. In 'The Voice' Cari expresses her love for classical music integrating a choir of harmonic opera- like singing. Together with Armin's full force drop it became an unforgettable record.

Since Cari started out she's definitely here to stay, because there's nothing she enjoys more than to write, produce and perform her music as she continues to move fans across the globe!


One of her latest tracks is Running Over The Rainbow with Spanish trance twins DJ & production duo Yoshi & Razner released on FSOE. We are ultra happy that Cari has found some time to reply on our interview. You can dive deep in her answers right here. Enjoy!

1-Dimitris: It would be nice to start by telling us your 3 most important achievements or goals fulfilled in your career so far that you very are proud of.

Cari: I'm very proud of my music career so far and I feel privileged to be able to work with some of the most talented producers in the scene! One of the landmarks in my career was my collaboration with Armin van Buuren on 'The Voice'. It's still a very special track for me.


Also my performance at Paradiso (Amsterdam) alongside RAM at the beginning of this year is an important achievement for me. This stage has welcomed such iconic artists that it made me feel almost out of place to be standing there hahah! Also performing live is a bit of a personal achievement for me. Up till my mid-twenties I was way too shy to even think about public speaking or performing, so I think I came a long way from there!


The most important goal fulfilled is the support of my listeners! The things they write to me about their experiences and what my songs means to them, is really the best thing that making music has brought me!

2-Dimitris: Why and under which circumstances did you took the decision to start your involvement with electronic dance music?

Cari: I have always been interested in making music. It all started because we had a piano in our living room which was left there by the previous owners of the house. I just started playing what I heard on the radio. My mom loved classical music, but I also played pop songs. When my brother bought a keyboard I had it in my room after two days and he never got it back hahahah! It was at age 15 I think I decided to make electronic dance music. I bought a music workstation after saving money for ages and after that a computer with a very simple producing programme and it kind of went from there. It was only in my twenties I started singing on my tracks and now the focus is mainly on the singing.

3-Dimitris: Can you note down the top 3 producers that have influenced your decision to get involved in the electronic dance music scene and you admire and respect them very much?

Cari: There are so many producers and singers that have inspired me and have influenced my style so it's hard to name just 3 but I'll try:

At the beginning it was Tiësto and his 'Just Be' album. I loved the heavy beats combined with euphoric melodies and ethereal singing. Kirsty Hawkshaw is one of the singers that inspired me the most. She has a soprano voice like me and I just felt she sang the way I'd like to sing too.


Also Delerium has been a big inspiration. Their melodies and the harmonies the singers use are so beautiful, I still play their albums. I'm just a sucker for harmonies and choirs :)

The track that really did it for me was 'Silence' by Delerium in the Tiesto remix. This to me was perfection in so many ways I can't even describe it. Even now, after all the remixes and remakes, it just never gets old. I'm glad I got the chance to feature on Roman Messer's remake of 'Silence', because it was such an important track for me. Although it was kind of scary to do so because it's impossible to reach the level of the original vocal.


4-Dimitris: Can u tell us how your collaboration with Yoshi & Razner for Running Over The Rainbow on FSOE came about and what was the idea behind the great lyrics.


Cari: My latest release is a track called 'Running Over The Rainbow' together with Yoshi & Razner. I have worked with the trance twins before on our collab 'Angel' and they are just so nice and super talented! I didn't hesitate when they asked me to work on this track with them. The story behind this track is that Yoshi & Razner's friend's dog passed away. He was so sad that the twins decided to make a track for him, in memory of his dog, which had to have the title 'Running Over The Rainbow'. I was moved by the story and the instrumental they sent me and the words and melody came out quickly. This is a track dedicated to all the pets and the people who take care of them.


5-Dimitris: Are you planning to complete an album soon? if yes please give us all the details about regarding tracks and how will look and sound like?

Cari: It would be awesome to release an album one day. It's still a dream though. The biggest dream would be to produce or co-produce the tracks myself. Producing is still something I LOVE doing, but with the focus being on vocals right now it's hard to find the time. But the past has proven dreams can become a reality :)




6-Dimitris: Please note for all the new vocal talents that read this interview to get some inspiration from you, any piece of personal or music business' advice that has helped you to progress even further and is worth telling them.

Cari: When I just started out as a vocalist it was easy to get discouraged after rejection, or even worse, hearing nothing at all.

Now I've learned that the vocal, in particular the lyrics, are decisive to the atmosphere of the track, which to me is the most important aspect of music. Producers will always need vocalists.

It's important to just start over when a producer tells you he's 'not feeling it'. It can be difficult to 'crawl inside the head' of the producer to find out what he's looking for, because you, as a vocalist, have to deal with different tastes. But eventually you will learn new approaches or ways of singing by pushing yourself further, so that you are both happy with the result. So the best tip I can give aspiring vocalists is: be open minded to different opinions. Try to use them to get better. Be easy to work with and stay positive; brush yourself off and try again :)


7-Dimitris: Is your music business your full time occupation? If not what other jobs are you doing in order to support your income?

Cari: Next to making music I have many jobs to support my income hahah! The most important one is being a mom to my 3 year old daughter. I also work in a piano store which is a great job when you're a music addict. Whenever there is spare time I can play on the most amazing piano's and stage piano's. Next to this job I also own my own photography business.

8-Finally please choose for us your favourite holiday destination and share with us your most unforgettable holiday experience(good/bad)

Cari: My favorite holiday destination is anywhere where there is sun, sea and snow. I'm not very difficult. Oh and there must be an ice-cream store around every corner!


Dimitris: Your message & wishes for Flux Bpm Online readers.

Cari: I want to thank the Flux BPM Online readers for their support for electronic dance music! As much fun it is to make music just for yourself it's even better to be able to share it with the world and (hopefully) making people happy by listening to it!

Thanks so much Cari for this wonderful interview.

Thanks so much to FSOE team for arranging this interview.


Additional info: