04:58:00
A+ A-

Interview with Hausman about his latest remix on TMRW on FSOE Argento

 


Devon Ausman (A.K.A. Hausman) has certainly made a name for himself in the trance and progressive house scene since his debut EP in 2016. Taking influence from the sounds of deep, groovy house, melodic, uplifting trance, and dark, gritty techno, he aims to make music which blends genres in unexpected ways. His diverse tracks feature heavy basslines with electro-house influences, immersive atmospheres, and most importantly, beautiful chords and melodies that will catch your ear.

A Berklee grad and musician from a young age, Devon began his journey in the world of trance and progressive with a solo release on Intricate Records. In 2017, he released with Myon’s Ride Recordings and snatched up triple support from Above & Beyond on Group Therapy, which thrust him into the scene’s spotlight. Since then, he’s released on labels such as Monstercat, Enhanced, Anjunabeats and Armada, remixed tracks by Mat Zo, Dezza, Marsh, and Elevven, shared the stage with artists such as Tritonal, ilan Bluestone, and Mat Zo, and garnered support from Armin van Buuren, Cosmic Gate, Tritonal, and many more. Some of his most notable accomplishments include a #1 charting release on the Beatport Trance charts, 3rd place in a remix contest for Mat Zo & Olan, and a feature in the popular video game, Rocket League.

The scene has gone through dramatic changes in the past few years, especially with the introduction of online live-streams, and Hausman was one of the first to fully embrace the new culture. Now a Twitch partner, he built up a community and dedicated fanbase via the popular streaming platform, and continues to innovate and champion a consistent lineup of live sets on his channel.

Devon shows no signs of slowing down as we enter 2023. With plenty of new music on the horizon, a radio show rapidly increasing in popularity, upcoming live show bookings, and a constantly growing community, Hausman is a name you’ll be hearing for years to come.

We are super glad that Hausman has found some time to reply in our interview about his brilliant remix of Dan Stone track TMRW out this week on FSOE Argento. Enjoy his great answers right now.


1-Dimitris: It would be nice to start by telling us your 3 most important achievements or goals fulfilled in your career so far that you very are proud of.

Hausman: The biggest career push for me has been my success on Twitch since the COVID pandemic hit in 2020. Like many other DJs, I took to Twitch when live shows stopped, and I used the platform to build a community and get my music out to a wider audience. I kept it up even after live shows started happening again, and managed to become an official Twitch partner.

I'm very proud to have gotten 3rd place in the Mat Zo & Olan remix contest. Not only did this get me my debut Anjunabeats release, but I've remixed my top inspiration in electronic dance music and even had the pleasure of playing direct support for Mat's show in Denver.

Lastly, I moved to Denver at the end of 2022, and have been thriving ever since. The music scene here is unmatched and has been a great career move. I find myself feeling more inspired and invigorated than ever before.

2-Dimitris: Why and under which circumstances did you took the decision to start DJing or producing electronic dance music?

Hausman:  I began producing in 2013 as a hobby, but quickly realized I wanted to do it for a living. I was lucky enough to get accepted to Berklee College of Music, which was a huge source of validation and helped me to achieve my goals.

3-Can you note down the top 3 producers that have influenced your decision to get involved in the electronic dance music scene and you admire and respect them very much?

Hausman: Mat Zo, PROFF, Deadmau5

4-Dimitris: It would be fantastic to talk about your remix on Dan Stone's classic TMRW. Please tell us how this remix came about and how did you approached it.

Hausman: Dan reached out to me last year asking if I would be down to remix something from his back catalog. Being a big fan of his music and what he's doing over at Argento, I was happy to come up with a new take on his track "TMRW". I went all in on the summery vibes for this one, so I hope it'll serve as the soundtrack to this season!


5-Dimitris: How long it took you to produce it and can u describe the production process in simple steps?

Hausman:  This remix took me about a couple weeks of on-and-off work to get finished. I started with the bassline and groove section, and then focused on the breakdown and melodics. I tried to utilize all of the ideas from Dan's stems while creatively modifying them to make something brand new.

6-Dimitris: Did you had any particular difficulties accomplishing that particular track or any specific technical challenges or obstacles that you had to overcome during its production.

Hausman: When remixing, I usually throw down a bunch of different ideas at the start of the process to see what sticks. I remember having a bit of a hard time deciding on a direction for this remix, but after honing in on a retro-inspired sound and the summery feel, I felt quite happy with where it ended up.

7- Dimitris: Which music composition software or hardware you prefer and why? What is your opinion of the latest movement to produce music with more analogue equipment and with less or without any digital software?

Hausman: I use Ableton and am very much an "in-the-box" producer, meaning I don't use any hardware other than MIDI keyboards. While I see the benefit of using analogue gear, I personally haven't had as much success with it - I find it takes quite a while to set up, and typically doesn't produce results I'm happy with. It doesn't work for me personally, but I totally respect that other producers swear by it and make it work for them!

8-Dimitris: Do you prefer instrumental dance tracks or you adore vocals? Please explain to us your position and if in your latest production you have vocals tell us how did you choose the specific singer and if it was great to work with her/him?

Hausman: There aren't any vocals in this remix (although there was a spoken word voice-over in the original, which I chopped up and turned into a percussive element). For me personally, I connect more with instrumentals than vocal tracks. It usually takes me a few listens to actually hear / understand lyrics because I focus on the instrumental first. When listening to a vocal, I'm usually more concerned with the timbre and melody than the lyrical content. Vocals can certainly elevate a track, but they aren't required for my personal enjoyment.

9-Dimitris: If you really like to produce vocal tracks which vocalist/singer or lyricist on electronic dance music you aspire to work with?

Hausman: I love working with my fiancé, who releases under Lumynesynth. Someday I think it'd be great to do a track with Brandon Mignacca, I love his voice and style.


10-Dimitris: Do you believe that artwork on your latest track is good and do you believe that artwork can attract listeners or record buyers? Can you mention the best artwork of a track ever released?

Hausman: I'm a big fan of super personalized artworks. I understand that not all labels have a graphic design team that can handle it, and it might not be the best choice for brand recognition, but as an artist I really appreciate when the cover art is something I can connect with and relates directly to the music. I think that Silk (now Monstercat Silk) has always done a great job of making each cover unique while maintaining that brand recognition.

11-Dimitris: Can you pick your top 3 record labels including the one released the track that we discuss in this interview and give us a short comment about them?

Hausman: FSOE Argento has been doing some really great stuff! The consistent quality and forward-thinking nature of each release is something I really admire.

Enhanced Progressive has really honed in on their trance sound and perfected it, and they've also maintained a great balance between consistency and uniqueness.

One of the best upcoming melodic house labels at the moment is Sekora - consistent quality over there as well.

12-Dimitris: Do you have your own record label? 

Hausman: No record label...yet...stay tuned!

13-Dimitris: Are you planning to complete an album or mix compilation soon? if yes please give us all the details about regarding tracks and how will look and sound like?

Hausman: I'd love to put out an album eventually, but I want to make sure it's intentional and cohesive. I wouldn't want to put out a collection of tracks without a deeper meaning behind the whole project. It's something in the back of my mind for sure!


14-Dimitris:How much time do you spend promoting yourself in your social media and you see this as essential tool for self promotion and getting bookings too? Which social media is the one that seems to work better for you?

Hausman: I don't spend as much time as I should promoting myself on social media. It's an invaluable tool for artists and is essentially required for success, but I've always struggled with it personally. Twitch is by far the best tool in my toolbelt, and I find it offers the most personable connections with fans.

15-Dimitris: Do you have your own radio show/podcast/twitch stream or Vlog(video blog)? If yes please give us a comment about it and how long it take you to prepare for it and if you are always excited to produce it?

Hausman: I've been hosting my radio show Hausman Radio for over 4 years now, and it's seen rapidly increasing success in the past year! I put a lot of time into each episode, carefully selecting the tracks to ensure smooth transitions and a good flow overall. I try to make each episode as good as a mix-album.

16-Dimitris: Do you have any gigs/festival performances confirmed so far for 2023 in which ones are you most excited to perform and why?

Hausman: At the moment, I don't have any gigs confirmed, but Denver is a fast-paced market and I'm sure more shows will come up later this year!

17-Dimitris: Please share your most funny and most serious incident that happen to you during your DJ performance?

Hausman: When I was on direct support for OCULA, someone in the crowd came up and asked if I had any Fleetwood Mac.

I can't think of a "serious incident", but there was one time when the dinner I had prior to the show caused me some nausea during the set...I made it to the end just fine but it was a little worrying.


18-Dimitris: Are you enjoying to visit music conferences and do you have any plans to attend any of them in 2023:

Hausman: I'm not in a financial situation to be able to afford trips out to music conferences this year, but I'd love to go if the opportunity arises!

19. Are you happy with the way that royalties system works particularly regarding streaming revenue? Do you believe that artists get what they deserve from streaming providers/DJs playing your tracks in gigs/radio and selling music in physical formats like CDs/Vinyl or digitally.

Hausman: Royalties aren't a great source of revenue, but honestly it comes down to the label more than anything. Some labels I work with don't have great deals while others seem to give a solid stream of revenue solely from royalties. I believe there are avenues that labels can take advantage of to make music a viable career path for artists, they just have to effectively utilize them and put the artist first to ensure they can make sustainable income.

20-Dimitris: Please note for all the new talents that read this interview to get some inspiration from you any technical tips in relation to your DJing or music productions. Also any piece of personal or music business' advice that has helped you to progress even further and is worth telling to the new upcoming talents.

Hausman: My advice is to not be too hard on yourself. Work hard, but don't be afraid to give yourself a break if you're starting to get burned out.

If you're looking for specifics, I highly recommend checking out my Patreon page! I upload track walkthroughs there where I break down my project files in extreme detail. I also offer 1-on-1 tutoring sessions if you're looking to improve your skills. Hit me up!


21-Dimitris: Many DJs who are producers too they offer online masterclasses or teach to music production courses. If you are offering any of these services please tell us about it.

Hausman: I offer tutoring as well as production, mixing, and mastering services.

22-Dimitris: Is there a club classic that you would like to remix or rework in 2023? Do you attempt often to do your own bootlegs of classics?

Hausman: One of my favorite things to do is re-imagine old favorites from different genres into a progressive house remix. I've remixed tracks from Coldplay & Mutemath among others, and am always on the lookout for creative ways to remix tracks like these. They always hit well at my live shows!


23-Dimitris: Many artist right now attempt to come closer to their fan base and use the various services in order to offer exclusive content to their most dedicated followers. Do you have any plans to do the same by connecting even more with your most dedicated fans?

Hausman: You can find all of this content on my Patreon! I offer remixes, old tracks, and mashups for download among many other things.

24-Dimitris: Can you describe your music as certain music genre such as trance, house, techno or your music exempts these categorizations? What is your opinion about hybrid styles and the artists who are attempting to mix influences from various genres in their tracks?

Hausman: The umbrella under which most of my music falls is Progressive House, but I try to stay diverse and avoid restricting myself to any one genre. This might result in spreading my sound too thin, but more recently I'm honing in on the more upbeat, Trance-inspired side of Progressive House. I love it when artists blend genres in unexpected ways!


25-Dimitris: Is your music business your full time occupation and are you able to make a leaving out of your music business (DJ/producer/label owner/teaching or mastering tracks)? If not what other jobs are you doing in order to support your income?

Hausman: I'm currently working full time with music, and while it's not easy, it's great to do what I love and be my own boss!

Thanks to Hausman for this enlightening and truly incredible interview.

Thanks to team FSOE for organizing this interview for us.

Find TMRW(Hausman remix) here: https://fsoe.streamlink.to/tmrw

 
Additional info: