01:56:00
A+ A-

#InDepth Interview with DJ and music producer ZOYA talking about her latest single Acid Lullaby



ZOYA is a singer, songwriter,DJ and recording artist. Since an early age she has had a profound interest in music which would lead to studies in opera and piano at the Music academy in her hometown. ZOYA would then leave her home country of Bulgaria to embark on a bohemian lifestyle of music, work and travel. Living and working in different countries she was constantly learning, gaining experience and collecting new inspiration to incorporate into her style of song writing. In 2013 she fell in love with electronic music and knew from then on that it was in this genre that she wanted to make her impression. During the ADE she presented 2 songs and her voice was first announced to a worldwide audience. The collaboration requests started to rain in and her first project with LTN was signed by Armada music. Currently ZOYA is working hard writing for herself and other artists. Her main love will always be trance but having an eclectic taste in music herself she is always open to experiment in other music genres. 



Acid Lullaby is her latest release for Edge Vision part of Abora Recordings and we are more than glad that she agreed to talk to us about this new single and tell us about her foundation in music, her present goals and future ambitions. Enjoy her very informative answers right here.

Dimitris: When did you start your involvement with electronic dance music and which music style you are more affiliated with and why?

ZOYA: My musical journey started from High School and continued through the Music Academy with opera and piano, but later on I fell in love with electronic dance music.It was in 2013 when I first attended ADE, I went to a trance event and since then I knew that will be my music.I remember that night Solarstone was playing, it was pure magic.

Dimitris: Did you had the opportunity to attend any kind of music production course or are u completely self taught? Do you consider that is essential for any artist to complete any production course?

ZOYA: When I first got in the scene,I was a singer-songwriter. That wasn't enough for me so I went to study production and sound design in a private music school. There I graduated the DJ course as well so now I'm fully qualified. There is still many things to learn but I think I am on the right path.

Dimitris: In which label was your first ever release and how did you manage to attract the attention of the label?

ZOYA: My first ever release was a progressive house vocal track that I wrote. It was called "Walking into heaven" and it was featured in the best of Miami 2014 compilation. I presented the song during the Winter Music conference in Miami and people liked it so it came naturally to release it.

Dimitris: Please pick for us your Top 5 tracks that you have produced and you consider them as being highly important for the progress of your career.

ZOYA: "Acid Lullaby" I like it for the production quality, that's my latest track which was just released on Feb 25th. Check out the official video on my youtube channel 



"Bubble" (released on number 1 dance label in Australia Bourne recordings). That track was N2 on the Czech chart last year.



"zoyasmusic". Actually I am trying to improve each time I produce.

"Scars"-vocal uplifting trance track which was voted one of the top 25 tracks in 2018 in category 
Uplifting Trance. It took 2 years to produce it but the final result was worthy.



"In My Mind" produced as pop/house and voted N1 track on Deep House Radio Bulgaria for 2018



"Oceans Away" released on Armada. I wrote and sang the song as acoustic version with guitar, someone else made the trance version.



Dimitris: Let's focus on your latest release Acid Lullaby. Please tell us from where did you got the inspiration for the track and what kind of music influences is including?

ZOYA: I like energetic trance, also darker sound.As a producer I feel like tech/psy trance is my thing.That's what "Acid Lullaby", my new release which I classify as PsyTechlifter.My sound is influenced by Mark Sherry, Jordan Suckley, I like Jorn Van Deynhoven tunes a lot.



Dimitris: How long it took you to produce it and was an easy or difficult process?If you have faced any difficulties please tell us about them and how did you resolved them?

ZOYA: It took me around 2 months.I am not the fastest yet because I am a perfectionist and I will re-work something million times till I like it.

Dimitris: Which was the biggest challenge that you faced during the production of this superb track?

ZOYA: It took long because I was trying to create some of the sounds using the knowledge of the sound design class. I was experimenting a lot but in the end I think it came pretty nice.

Dimitris: Can you describe to us the steps that you went through the production of this track and of any other track?

ZOYA: First I will choose a track that I like and put it in my DAW as a reference track.Then I will see the structure and analyse the elements and sounds used there and after the fun begins...experimenting and checking how it will sound  best.



Dimitris: When the track finished did the label accepted it as it was produced or did the label recommend you to do some changes or fix certain things?

ZOYA: The label took it the way it was, including the mastering.

Dimitris: Is this track an original composition or is it based on a template from another track produced from you or another producer?

ZOYA: Completely original.In fact it is a hybrid between psy and tech trance with elements of uplifting in the break down.

Dimitris: Is the quality of this track higher than your previous one? If yes in what ways this track sounds better than your previous one?

ZOYA: I wouldn't say its better than my previous track.It is just different sub genre. My previous track "Scars" was uplifting vocal trance and "Acid Lullaby" is PsyTechLifter.



Dimitris: Do you have any friends or relatives that you send them the track before sending it to a label or if you are DJ did you test it in your gigs? If yes did you have to do any alterations as a result of the crowd reaction?

ZOYA: I have many friends in the industry but I don't send them my tracks.If I am not sure I prefer to take an extra class with my music teacher and discuss it.As a DJ I test the tracks,yes. During my live gigs or radio show.

Dimitris: Please describe to us the studio that you have produced the track? What is your favourite hardware and software set up? Do you have in mind any new gear that you wish to get in order to raise the quality of your production?

ZOYA: At the moment I am building a new studio.This particular track was produced on my laptop with Ableton 10. I use serum a lot, I really like playing with it.

Dimitris: Do you master the track yourself or the mastering is task for the record label? Do you understand mastering as being essential?

ZOYA: Some labels prefer to do their mastering so they ask for the pre-master of the track when you sign. Mastering is a completely separate skill and not so many producers are good at mastering.

Dimitris: There is a growing trend of vinyl coming back for good. Would you like to see this track released on vinyl or any other of your future tracks? Do you prefer digital files or vinyl?

ZOYA: I've never thought about it but now that you are asking me, I would like to have it yes.

Dimitris: Are you going to release soon any remixes to support Acid Lullaby?  

ZOYA: The track is going to have a remix but I will keep it a surprise for now.

Dimitris: Do you have any future releases planned and when will be released?

ZOYA: Yes, I have a few more tracks coming the next months.

Dimitris: Your favourite Top 5 tracks at this moment!

ZOYA:  The Sound Of E - ( Jorn van Deynhoven Extended Remix)



 Armin van Buuren, W&W - Ready To Rave 



Fake ID - Jorn Van Deynhoven



Tempo Giusto - Solace in your eyes



Darren Porter - Inertia 



Dimitris: Can you recall your Top 3 best DJ gigs so far and the reasons that made them so special?

ZOYA: I like creating a journey when I play so I always prefer longer sets. I played two extended sets last year: one 6h open to close in Berlin and one 5h In Prague. The 3rd gig was a private party in Monaco.

Dimitris: Do you have any more DJ gigs planned for the next few months? If yes please note them down here.

ZOYA: I'm going to play in Sofia, Bulgaria on March 9th which is really soon so if you are around make sure you come.

Dimitris: Can you give us more details about your Ultimate Energy radio show?

ZOYA: I am hosting my radio show "Ultimate Energy" on Trance-Energy radio. It is twice a month- every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month at 16h GMT.Live stream is always available on the radio site and after I upload the episodes on my soundcloud or youtube channel- zoyasmusic 



Dimitris: Best piece of advice you got in relation to your career so far and best tip you learnt recently to make your tracks better.

ZOYA: I am still learning and trying to follow this tip but to be patient and keep working hard.Things are coming but it takes time and a lot of hard work.

Dimitris: Can you offer us your career tips or more elaborated advice for any new artists who may read this interview and wish to get involved with the electronic music industry.

ZOYA: I would suggest to take the time and learn properly. For myself I like to understand and learn the foundation of everything at the start and then just to improve. 

Dimitris: In 2018 the electronic music talent AVICII died and this has alerted several artists to become more health conscious. Are there any lessons to learn as an artist out from this sad event?

ZOYA: Sometimes the stress, the travelling, the fatigue and the expectations that people have from you can be too much. I think it's important to try to balance and take care of your health as well and if you need to slow down just do it. It's not all money, health is the most important. 

Dimitris: Can you tell us your best travel tips in order to survive the long travelling hours that many artists must go through?

ZOYA: Oh I am not the best person to ask that. I survive the long flights but I completely mess up my diet and training if I am away for a long and then I am always angry with myself. Again I am trying to be as healthy as possible when it comes to food but its not always easy. I know what I have to do in theory but ... sometimes I don't do it.

Dimitris: There is a big movement for revival of classic tracks and as a result of this retro events have boomed with music policy of solely classic tracks. What is your opinion about events or stages only with classics and can you choose for us your absolute 3 favourite classics?

ZOYA: I like classics but I don't if younger generations would enjoy them as much. I think it's good to have stages with classics and I have seen people really enjoy It, I guess it all depends on the venue. It is really hard to pick my top 3 favourite classics but I can tell you that I am remixing one now and it will be out soon:))) 

Dimitris: Please give us your messages for our readers?

ZOYA: Keep listening to the good music and also keep supporting your favourite artists, without you we wouldn't have the motivation to do what we do.



Thanks to ZOYA for replying to this interview.

Additional info: