19:07:00
A+ A-

Flux BPM InDepth Interview with Xenia Ghali about her anthem Stick Around, out now


After making some impressive waves in the dance music world over the past couple of years with her consistently high quality outputs, Greek DJ/producer Xenia Ghali is back with ‘Stick Around’, a track that is set to continue Xenia on her vertical trajectory into the upper echelons of the electronic scene. After consecutive Billboard Dance Club Songs Chart #1’s with her previous two offerings, ‘Under These Lights’ and more recently ‘Places’, Xenia returns with a record that has the potential to eclipse those heights.

The multi-instrumentalist has previously showcased her extensive knowledge of musicality and arrangement, and her obvious talents in these departments are on glaring show for ‘Stick-Around’. Piano chords instantly establish the song-focused nature of the track which, paired with the reminiscent, reverb laden vocal, create a match that firmly places ‘Stick Around’ into radio friendly territory. The drop unveils a different side to the story, as the deep wooden bass also gives the track heavy dancefloor credentials and ensures its widespread appeal for fans across multiple genres. The intensity of the song builds throughout, increasing towards a crescendo of heartfelt lyrics, pounding basslines and glistening hats.

With each release, Xenia further strengthens her position as an artist with a wide array of talents and an ear for writing relatable, relevant dance music that span musical planes, pleasing her fans and gaining new ones in the process. With ‘Stick Around’, Xenia Ghali provides a crossover track that is set to ensure she continues on the right path heading into 2018.

We are very happy that Xenia has accepted to answer our indepth interview and right here you can read her answers, enjoy!



Stream / Download: HERE

Dimitri: When did you start your involvement with electronic dance music and which music style you are more affiliated with and why?

Xenia Ghali: I have been classically trained on the piano and flute since I was approximately 5 years old. When I was 15 I went through a huge rock phase and taught myself the guitar and drums. I formed a high school rock band in which I played lead guitar, and took my first steps into songwriting. That was when I realised that I had a huge passion for creating music. After I graduated high school, I went on to receive my Bachelor’s in Music Composition and Production in the UK. During my time there, I began going to a lot of House music parties and became infatuated by the whole scene. I invested in buying a couple of second hand Technics 1210 turntables and 5 vinyl House records and taught myself how to spin. One thing led to another and I began performing at local clubs until eventually I was doing shows at the Ministry of Sound in London. While doing shows, I began produced a lot of House and Electronic Dance Music as well. After I graduated from the UK, I received a Master’s in Music Composition, Production and Film Scoring from NYU and simultaneously started to professionally produce and DJ both in the States and in Europe. I am more affiliated with Dance music (mainly but not restricted to House) because I can express myself through it very naturally. I have a deep love for rhythm and music that makes your body move. That in combination with a song and/or melodic elements is exactly what I am the most passionate about. 

Dimitri: Did you had the opportunity to attend any kind of music production course or are u completely self taught? Do you consider that is essential for any artist to complete any production course?

Xenia Ghali: I have a Bachelors and a Masters degree in Film Scoring, Music Composition and Production. It definitely has helped me do a lot of things I am able to do today, especially when I write or produce records. I don't consider it essential to study music production, I know plenty of very credible artists who are self taught, but I believe studying definitely gives you a lot of tools and knowledge. 

Dimitri: In which label was your first ever release and how did you manage to attract the attention of the label?

Xenia Ghali: My first single "Broken" was released with Pitbull's label Mr 305. The label heard the single and they loved it, so they offered me a deal for it. 

Dimitri: Can you mention to us your Top 5 tracks that you have produced and you consider them as being highly important for the progress of your career indifferent if they were commercially successful.

Stick Around



Places



Under These Lights



 Get Dirty



Broken



Dimitri: Let's focus on Stick Around. Please tell us from where did you got the inspiration for the track?

Xenia Ghali: I actually produced the record first, which is rare for me. I usually start with writing the song and then I produce the track. I just wanted to produce a track that combined the things I love, rhythm, melody, bass, sound design and both emotional and more energetic characteristics. I let myself very free when I was producing this track. 

Dimitri: How long it took you to produce Stick Around and was it an easy or difficult process?If you have faced any difficulties please tell us about them and how did you resolved them?

Xenia Ghali: I initially produced it in one night, but then after I co-wrote the song to the track, I reworked the track for approximately a month or so. The difficulty I faced was trying to get it to a point where I said 'now its done'. It is very difficult for me to say 'it's done'. 

Dimitri: Which was the biggest challenge that you faced during the production of this superb track?

Xenia Ghali: Thank you for the kind words first of all! The biggest challenge was letting myself believe in it. I produced it without thinking about whether it is commercial or not, so therefore there is a level of insecurity attached when you do something from your heart. I am very happy I was able to beat that feeling and now I can't wait for the record to be released on January 26th from Sirup Music!

Dimitri: Can you describe to us the steps that you went through the production of this track and of any other track?

Xenia Ghali: I started with the chord progression you hear at the beginning of the record. Next came the bass riff which you hear in the drop/chorus. After that the track told me what to do. 

Dimitri: When the track finished did the label accepted it as it was produced or did the label recommend you to do some changes or fix certain things?

Xenia Ghali: The label accepted it as it was and I am very grateful for that! 

Dimitri: Is this track an original composition or is it based on a template from another track produced from you or another producer?

Xenia Ghali: This track is an original composition 



Dimitri: Is the quality of this track higher than your previous one? If yes in what ways this track sounds better than your previous one?

Xenia Ghali: I believe this track is an evolution of my previous one. I always like to do something 'more' whenever I work on a new record or a new project. 

Dimitri: Do you have any friends or relatives that you send them the track before sending it to a label or if you are DJ did you test it in your gigs? If yes did you have to do any alterations as a result of the crowd reaction?

Xenia Ghali: I like to send my new tracks to a few friends of mine who's opinions I trust! I also always send my new tracks to my family because they are always very fair in their judgement. Once I have mixed and mastered the track I also test it during my shows to see how people respond to it. So far I haven't had to make any alterations to the track itself, any alterations that I had to make where mainly in the mix after I heard it in a club



13-Please describe to us the studio that you have produced Stick Around? What is your favourite hardware and software set up? Do you have in mind any new gear that you wish to get in order to raise the quality of your production?

Xenia Ghali: I produced the track at my home studio in New York city. I use Logic Pro and Ableton to produce and in terms of hardware there's a ton that I would love to have my hands on (which I don't have right now!). I write on the piano a lot so I have a Roland FA 08 keyboard, a Yamaha fully weighted piano, and an Axiom 61 semi-weighted Midi Keyboard. There is a lot of gear that I would love (primarily analog) in order to raise both the quality of my production but also to give me more to 'play with'. The list would be too long to write here! 

Dimitri: Do you master the track yourself or the mastering is task for the record label? Do you understand mastering as being essential?

Xenia Ghali: I don't master any of tracks myself. I believe that mastering is an art of its own and it needs the proper engineer and the proper facilities to do a good job. Mastering is one of the most essential parts of the final sound. 

Dimitri: Are there any plans to release remixes as well?  

Xenia Ghali: Right now the original version is going to be released! 



Dimitri: Do you have any future releases planned and when will be released?

Xenia Ghali:Yes 2018 will involve many releases from me! The info will be announced on my socials. 

Dimitri: Can you recall for us here your Top 3 best DJ gigs so far and the reasons that made them so special?

Xenia Ghali: That's a very tough question! I love all my shows, and I always give 100% when I DJ. I guess my top 3 would be the Ministry of Sound in London (which was my first ever big show), the Color Day Festival (headlined two years in a row so far) and the first time I played at Cavo Paradiso in Mykonos (which was my dream venue to play at since I was a child).



Dimitri: Do you have any more DJ gigs planned for the next few months? If yes please note them down here.

Xenia Ghali: I do! All my dates will be announced on my socials and my website.

Dimitri: Do you produce a radio show/podcast as well? Please tell us here all the details about it. 

Xenia Ghali: I produce a weekly radio show and podcast called X Hour with Xenia Ghali. You can hear it live every Wednesday at 2pm (New York time) and the link is available on my website www.xeniaghali.com. Additionally anyone can subscribe to the X Hour Podcast which can be found on iTunes and on my Mixloud to listen to all the episodes that I have aired live. Lastly, every week at the end of my episode on Wednesday I air a Submission of the Week. This is a track that I have received from anyone who wants to send me their stuff. I choose one every week and air it live on the show. You can send me your tracks for the Submission of The Week on my website under the Demo Drop tab!



Dimitri: Best piece of advice you got in relation to your career so far and best tip you learnt recently to make your tracks better.

Xenia Ghali: The more successful you become the harder you have to work! 

Dimitri: Please give us here your tips or more elaborated advice for any new artists who may read this interview and wish to get involved with the electronic music industry.

Xenia Ghali: The electronic music industry can be tough and very competitive so you have to believe in yourself, work hard and be committed!

Thanks to Sirup Music for arranging this great interview
Thanks to Urban Rebel PR for the press release

Additional info: