02:08:00
A+ A-

BEST OF 2014: Interview with dj & producer from Denmark Thomas Mengel


Name: Thomas Mengel
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Hailing from Aarhus, Denmark, 29-year old Thomas Mengel made name as a international DJ/producer in a short period of time. Today he's signed to international EDM labels like Be Yourself Music / High Contrast, Manufactured Music, So Good Music, Alter Ego Records / IAMPHOENIX, Black Hole Recordings, VANDIT, EnMass Music and Lifted House / Sony.

In early 2012, Thomas ceased the opportunity to boost his career in the world of electronic dance music by taking part in Richard Durand's "In Search of Sunrise 10: Australia" mix contest. The assignment was to create a DJ mix featuring the best classics from the complete "In Search Of Sunrise" series; the winning mix would be added to the official double-disc release as a free bonus CD. 

Thomas Mengel won and was praised by Black Hole Recordings owner Arny Bink, who said: “Thomas was selected as he was one of the few DJs who did a live mix on his Pioneer CDJs. He was able to capture the In Search Of Sunrise feel throughout the mix by telling a story, whilst not overdoing it and without all kinds of redundant digital trickery.”

From that moment on, things have gone upward for Thomas as a DJ, while his professionality as a producer saw a long awaited confirmation in the fact that Black Hole Recordings offered him a label deal. His signing to the world famous imprint, founded by superstar DJ/producer Tiësto, was the best incentive for Thomas to prove his skills, turning his recording studio into a second home where he nowadays pumps out new club, festival and radio bangers on a monthly basis.

Thomas Mengel's unique style and sound proves to be an outstanding blend of progressive house and trance music with an attractive commercial twist to it. His single "Seeking" got remixed by the legend, Markus Schulz and played constantly in his Global DJ Broadcast. Thomas' releases harvested major radio support from the industry's heavy weights like Above & Beyond, Paul Van Dyk, Armin Van Buuren, Gareth Emery, Ministry Of Sound TV, Markus Schulz, Cosmic Gate, Steve Aoki, Fedde Le Grand, Lange, Eddie Halliwell, George Acosta, Manufactured Superstars, Judge Jules, Axwell, Bobina, Erick Morillo, Lange, Myon & Shane 54, Blake Jarell and consistently receive positive feedback.

Enjoy Thomas Mengel interview right here, right now and be sure to catch him playing his explosive set in a club near you.





Dimitri: Can you mention your biggest achievements in your music career in 2014 as dj & producer,label owner,radio host and your personal life if it is something that you wish to share with our readers? 
Thomas Mengel: 2014 has been a great year for me. It’s really great for me to see that my releases are performing better and better. Early in 2014 my track “Seeking” (on High Contrast) was released, and it got remixed by Markus Schulz and he played it about 5-6 times in his Global DJ Broadcast show. The radio support of my releases is really increasing massively, and to have your tracks played by the likes of Above & Beyond, Armin Van Buuren, Gareth Emery, Paul Van Dyk, Markus Schulz, Cosmic Gate is a huge honor for me. My latest release with Sue McLaren and Ben Nicky “Heart Go” came up as number 8 on the top 100 Beatport Trance Chart. 

Dimitri: 2014 was packed with releases from so many different styles, which Electronic Music style you believe is the absolute Electronic Music Style Of 2014 in the mainstream indifferent if you like it or not. Why you believe this style became so successful in 2014? 
Thomas Mengel: Well, it’s hard not to think about Dutch Hard Style EDM sound when I look back on this year. Some people would say that this music is Electro House, but I really think it’s difficult to categorise all the releases, because there are so many “crossover” productions. It’s hard to say way it became so successful, but it has defiantly become the true sound of the huge festivals like Tomorrowland, Miami Ultra etc. But I think that the EDM industry is like the fashion industry, and the trend/fashion will change again. 

1) Best Track: 
Thomas: I personally love “crossover” tracks, where you combine the best elements from melodic trance and hard pumping progressive house. A lot of my releases reflect that as well. So if I should point one of these tracks it would be: Jason Ross – Elements (Anjunabeats). That track really has it all. Amazing work!
                                     

2) Best Artist (Dj & producer): 
Thomas: I have always been a big fan of Above & Beyond and what they’ve accomplished this year, and topping that with their ABGT 100 in Maddison Square Garden in New York, is truly amazing.



3) Best Remix:
Thomas:Arty’s remix of London Grammar “Hey Now”. Turning that peaceful pop track into that banger was unreal!



4) Best Remixer: 
Thomas: Once again Arty for his work on “Hey Now”.

5) Best New Talent (Dj or producer): 
Thomas: Oh god, there so many rising names out there. Ilan Bluestone to name one :-)



6) Best Electronic Music Compilation:
Thomas: Anjunabeats 11. Deeper groves on CD 1 and then banging progressive trance on CD 2.



7) Best Vocalist/Singer featured on Electronic Music track:
Thomas:I must say that Taylr Renee has done a great job on her latest releases with Stadiumx and Paris Blohm.



8) Best Electronic Music Label: 
Thomas: Anjunabeats, but labels like Size Records and Axtone are always a guarantee for world class releases. 

9) Best online Funny video related to Dance Music: 
Thomas: A recent video with a funny DJ, that is going crazy when the beat drops and knocks down a guy filming behind him. 



10) Best Online Social media network: 
Thomas:Twitter is a good media to communicate with your fans, but I feel that I hit a larger audience on Facebook. 

11) Best Twitter or Facebook message you received from a fan or friend or you have read on someone else’s account:
Thomas: A fan from South Africa wants to create and arrange an EDM festival down there, so she can bring me in as the headliner… :-)

12) Best personal selfie of the year, where, when and under which circumstances you took it?
Thomas: Eating a steak in Ushuaia’s (Ibiza) beach restaurant before partying to Axwell & Ingrosso’s “Departures” Event – what a night!



13) Best music composition software:
Thomas: I’m very pleased with Logic Pro X.

14) Best Event or Open Air Festival:
Thomas:The before mentioned “Departures” in Ushuaia, Ibiza. 

15) Best personal Dj Gig: 
Thomas:Performing at Club E11even Miami this summer was quite an experience. It’s also a cabaret club… :-) 

16) Best Dj set of the year from other fellow Dj:
Thomas: I saw Michael Woods in Space, Ibiza, this summer. He really played a cool set.

17) Best country that you have visited to perform with the most up for it crowd: 
Thomas: USA. They’re just EDM crazy!

18) Best Radio show: 
Thomas: Above & Beyond’s show has always been my favourite. The diversity of the melodic tunes they play is so great. Trance, Progressive House and Deep House. I love the way they mix the genres. 

19) Best Radio station: 
Thomas: Radio24syv. This is a Danish news channel that I listen to while I’m driving in my car. It’s important for me to stay updated. 

20) Best Online Record shop that you purchase your music:
Thomas: Beatport. This I where I find most of my music, but also iTunes I’d say. 

21) Best Website that you visit frequently:
Thomas: www.bold.dk – Danish football news site :-)

22) Best Smart phone/Mobile phone device:
Thomas:  It’s simple. My earplugs for my IPhone. I always have them on my, so I can take a quick listen to something if needed.

23) Best Dj equipment (software or hardware): 
Thomas: Pioneer CDJ’S. I don’t care if they’re new or old. Everything started there for me. I learned to play and mix on those, and back when I won the In Search Of Sunrise contest, I live mixed and recorded directly from my CDJ’s.

24) Best piece of advice you got in relation to your career in 2014:
Thomas:  I learned to be more patient. If you’re persistent and patient enough, you have a good opportunity of achieving your goals.

25) Best hobby or activity that you spent a lot of time in 2014: 
Thomas: Riding on my new Mountain bike. I love to come out in the forest and push myself on the tricky and muddy bike trails.  

                                                   

26) Best holiday destination for 2014 that you manage to visit this year either to relax or to perform in a club or festival:
Thomas:  I had a great summer visiting both Miami and Ibiza. Love both places so much!

27) Best Book of the year preferably related to Electronic Music: 
Thomas: I usually reed Scandinavian thrillers. But I can only find the time when I’m on holiday. 

28) Best Movie of the year preferably related to Electronic Music that may inspire you to compose a track: 
Thomas: One of the most exiting movies this year was “Prisoners”. Suspenseful and dark thriller.

29) Best online/PC/video game of the year that you have played this year? 
Thomas: The Last Of Us and GTA 5. Just received Far Cry 4 for PS4 and I really like this game. Taking a bit too much of my time…….

Dimitri: Finally, 2015 is ahead of us would you like to tell your plans with your future releases, tracks, albums, collaborations, Dj gigs.

Thomas: I have a lot of exiting releases lined up, including a remix for a very big label, which I’m really looking forward too. I’ll hopefully start of 2015 with a blast. My next release is release is called “Perfect Imperfection” and will be out on High Contrast December 29th. I also know that Hardwell will play one of my upcoming vocal tracks as “Demo Of The Week” on his show January 2nd. Looking forward to that! I also have some collaborations coming up with Miami DJ/producer, Austin Leeds, which I’m really looking forward to. I can also mention that I just signed with Paul Van Dyk’s booking agency, VANDIT Booking, so I’m really looking forward to getting some cool gigs in 2015! Besides that I feel full of creativity and energy, so looking forward to spending a lot more time in the studio!

Thanks so much to Thomas Mengel for his fantastic interview 

Thanks to Mark Meeuwissen  at Black Hole recordings for arranging this interview

Worldwide bookings: VANDIT booking | mariann[at]paulvandyk[dot]com



Additional info: