02:35:00
A+ A-

Interview with Asteroid about his track Flow State on FSOE


Introducing Asteroid, a captivating force in the world of trance music since 2015. With a global fan base and a string of international performances at renowned clubs and festivals, Asteroid has left an indelible mark on the hearts of trance music enthusiasts worldwide.

From Canada to Thailand, the U.K. to the Netherlands, Switzerland to Malaysia, from Indonesia to Australia and Vietnam, Asteroid's electrifying sound has resonated with audiences across borders. A performance by Asteroid guarantees an unforgettable experience, showcasing the distinct and irresistible sound that has become his signature.

Asteroid's talent extends beyond the stage, with an impressive discography that has graced the catalogs of trance music's most prestigious labels. Future Sound of Egypt, Armada, Afterdark, Subculture, Black Hole Recordings, Nocturnal Knights, and Outburst, have all featured his remarkable work, solidifying his position as a respected artist within the genre.

Notably, Asteroid's music has garnered significant recognition on esteemed radio shows such as A State of Trance, hosted by Armin Van Buuren and Ruben De Ronde, as well as Future Sound of Egypt Radio, helmed by Aly & Fila. His tracks have claimed multiple number one spots on Beatport and received widespread support from top-notch DJs, elevating him to the upper echelons of trance music's dynamic and talented artists.

Asteroid's journey is one defined by pulsating beats, euphoric melodies, and an unwavering passion for the trance genre. As he continues to captivate audiences around the world, his impact on the music scene grows ever stronger, leaving an enduring legacy in his wake.

EVENT AFFILIATIONS:

Insomniac | Dreamstate | Luminosity Events | Unkonscious Festival | Trance Sanctuary | Elysium Events | Trancendence | Aura | Nocturnal Knights Label Nights | Essence of Trance |

LABEL AFFILIATIONS:

Future Sound of Egypt | Armada | Afterdark | Nocturnal Knights | Subculture | Black Hole Recordings | In Trance We Trust | Amsterdam Trance | Monster Tunes

The latest Asteroid single is out now on FSOE and we are more than happy to have a great interview with him. You can read his answers right now!


1-Dimitris: It would be nice to start by telling us your 3 most important achievements or goals fulfilled in your career so far that you very are proud of.

Asteroid: 1. Signing with the biggest labels in trance, Future Sound of Egypt, Nocturnal Knights and Armada.

2. My main stage debut at Asia’s biggest trance festival on the beach, Unkonscious Thailand.

2. My debut gig at the iconic Colosseum Club in Jakarta.

2-Dimitris: Why and under which circumstances did you took the decision to start DJing or producing electronic dance music?

Asteroid: I started DJing in my bedroom at the age of 14, back in 1997 after listening to Paul van Dyk. From there I started to play local gigs and later, bigger regional and national events. In the mid to late 2000’s, music production was the natural progression for me. I’ve loved music since a very early age, and just playing other people’s music wasn’t enough. I had to get the ideas out of my head, I had to express myself.

3-Dimitris: Can you note down the top 3 producers that have influenced your decision to get involved in the electronic dance music scene and you admire and respect them very much?

Asteroid: Ferry Corsten and Paul van Dyk from the early years, and Will Rees in recent years. Will has an ability to create sonic storytelling unlike anyone else in the industry right now. He’s a huge inspiring factor at the moment.


4-Dimitris: It would be fantastic to talk about your latest release Flow State on FSOE. Please tell us how Flow State came about and what was the idea behind it.

Asteroid: The melody and breakdown ideas were constructed a long time ago, and then I sat on it for a while. I eventually came back to listen to the initial drafted ideas, and I felt something in it. Over the next few weeks, I was experiencing many distractions, both in work and personal life and I almost gave up on the project. After that, I decided to give myself a deadline for it, distraction free, just me and my studio. I went back into it with “do not disturb” set on all my devices, and had one of the best studio sessions I’ve had in years! The track came together quickly during that day. I called it Flow State for that reason. Flow State represents being fully focused and in the flow of a single task, without distraction or outside influence. This track almost never happened. But I’m so proud of it now, and I’m so happy I persevered.

5-Dimitris: How long it took you to produce it and can u describe the production process in simple steps?

Asteroid: All in all, between breakdown concept and final mix, I think around 4 full studio days but some of them were months apart.

I always start with the breakdown concepts first, and then progress to the main groove elements like kick, sub, mid bass and percussive elements. This way, I find that I have a lot of inspiration from the breakdown to use in the intro/outro parts of the track where it’s usually less busy.

6- Dimitris: Which music composition software or hardware you prefer and why? What is your opinion of the latest movement to produce music with more analogue equipment and with less or without any digital software?

Asteroid: I use Ableton Live 11 and work mainly ‘in the box’, meaning software usage, with the exception of my TD-3 hardware unit.

Personally I love the idea of using more analog equipment, but the hands on approach is SO satisfying that I would never get any actual work done or tracks finished haha.


7-Dimitris: Do you have your own record label? if yes tell us when did you set it up, the reasons behind this decision and your top 3 releases on the label so far plus 2 or 3 releases that we should look after from your label.

Asteroid: I have just launched my own record label, with the intention of focusing only on upfront and cutting edge trance music. There will not be any room there for classic sound design, or classic arrangements. There are already enough labels of this kind.

The first release is on September 29th and I am really excited to present a unique and groovy crossover between psy, techno and trance elements. Forever | Now is the debut titled track, and my label is called ‘Deep Space | Music’. I hope that people enjoy the hard work, and culmination of experimental works that will be showcased on there.

8-Dimitris: Are you planning to complete an album or mix compilation soon? if yes please give us all the details about regarding tracks and how will look and sound like?

Asteroid: I am indeed. I am currently working on my debut artist album. More info on this soon!

9-Dimitris: Can you pick up your all time favorite album and tell us why you adore it so much?

Asteroid: It has to be A Question of Reality by Neptune Project. I have never listened to an album this much ever! It’s the perfect sonic masterpiece, beautiful haunting vocals, blissful melodies and a thought provoking message throughout. It’s the perfect record.

10-Dimitris:How much time do you spend promoting yourself in your social media and you see this as essential tool for self promotion and getting bookings too? Which social media is the one that seems to work better for you?

Asteroid: I try not to spend too much time on socials these days. I will post regularly and try my best to engage with anyone who takes their time to enjoy my music. I no longer get involved in other aspects of social media. I became aware a long time ago of how much we compare ourselves to our peers or other people in general. It directly affected both my mood and my creativity, and I decided to utilise social media for it’s positive aspects only, like sharing music with like minded people. Sadly, these days, I think a good social media presence is rewarded more than great music and hard work. I used to let this reality affect me a lot, but now I’m happy to focus on the only thing I can control, my music.


11-Do you post videos on tiktok? What is your opinion about the power of tiktok to promote music releases?

Asteroid: As yet, I am not setup on TikTok. I have a marketing plan that would work great for it, I’m just not 100% that the platform is 100% aligned with who I am as a person.

12-Dimitris: Do you have any gigs/festival performances confirmed so far for 2023 in which ones are you most excited to perform and why?

Asteroid: I am most excited to perform at the iconic festival - Nature One. It’s a staple of German electronic music culture, and I have always wanted to play there. I am playing on the Heaven’s Gate stage on August 4th. It sounds quite surreal to say it out loud.


13-Dimitris: Many producers and DJs offer online masterclasses or teach to music production & DJing courses. Do you believe is essential to take part in any of these courses to develop your skills? Are you are offering any of these services? or other related services like ghost-producing or mastering? please tell us about these activities

Asteroid: Oh absolutely, and I’m not just saying that because I offer one-to-one tuition. But in any industry, if you want to be good/successful at something, it’s always important to invest in your future. I still invest money in production related courses myself, more recently on the sound design side of things.

14-Dimitris: Is there a club classic that you would like to remix or rework in 2023? Do you attempt often to do your own bootlegs of classics?

Asteroid: I just did recently. It’s not out yet, but it’s due later in the year. It was a huge honour for me to remix this, because it’s one of the most iconic vocal tracks in trance history. That’s all I can say right now!


Dimitris: Your message & wishes for Flux Bpm Online readers.

Asteroid: I would like to thank the Flux Bpm readers, and all trance music fans for any support on my music. Be it likes, comments, shares and direct support on radio shows. I appreciate it more than you know. Time is a precious commodity, so if someone takes time out of their day to engage with my music, then that is more than I could ever ask for.

Thanks so much to Asteroid for his informative interview.

Thanks to the team FSOE for arranging the interview.



Additional info: