03:22:00
A+ A-

Interview with Melody Stranger about his latest EP on UV Noir

 


In the last years the Brazilian artist Melody Stranger has been reinventing himself and attracting the attention of critics of the worldwide electronic music industry, showing great versatility and delivering tracks in prestigious labels like Diynamic, Parquet Recordings, Traum, Glasgow Underground, 1605, BeatFreak Recordings, Timeless Moment, UV, Hoomidaas.

Over the years, through hard work, he has been receiving massive support from renowned names such as Solomun, Tale Of Us, Hernan Cattaneo, Sasha, Eelke Kleijn, Pete Tong [BBC RADIO 1], Maceo Plex, Markus Schulz, Paul Van Dyk, Above & Beyond, David Guetta, UMEK, Armen Miran, just to name a few.

Melody Stranger had several sets in the biggest clubs and festivals in Brazil, including: Universo Paralello, Privilège, AME, Silk Beach Club, Fishbone, Fosfobox, to name a few.

He has already hit the top 10 in the progressive house genre in the beatport with: “Apollo” (2nd), “Artemis” (4th), “Inner Feelings” (07th), “Levenloos” (10th), “Remnants” (10th), "At Every Moment" (10th). In addition to appear constantly in the 100 best selling tracks.

BeatStats Progressive House Artists 2020/2021: 49th

His exceptional Dialekt/Babel EP is out now on UV Noir and we are very happy to have an interview with him to get to know him better. Enjoy his nice answers.


1-Dimitris: It would be nice to start by telling us your 3 most important achievements or goals fulfilled in your career so far that you very are proud of.

Melody Stranger: Well, there are so many that I still want to reach. However, the 3 that I conquered so far are:

Released by Diynamic, having 2 tracks (UV and Iconyc) in the overall top of beatport, having played at Universo Paralello Festival (Brazil) at 5 am.

2-Dimitris: Why and under which circumstances did you took the decision to start DJing or producing electronic dance music?

Melody Stranger: I attended electronic music parties and festivals during my adolescence. So it was a natural process, but reversed. I first started producing electronic music in 2012 because I wanted to express my ideas about how I heard and felt electronic music. So it was only in 2017, after some good beatport releases, that invitations reached me and I started to become a professional dj.

3-Dimitris: Can you note down the top 3 producers that have influenced your decision to get involved in the electronic dance music scene and you admire and respect them very much?

Melody Stranger: To start, and that I respect a lot for everything they did in the scene, were: Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren, Paul Van Dyk. Now to really shape what Melody Stranger is about are many other artists from other genres within e-music.


4-Dimitris: It would be fantastic to talk about your latest EP Dialekt/Babel on UV Noir. Please tell us how these tracks came about and what was the idea behind them.

Melody Stranger: Dialekt was done in a few days, the process was very natural. I was looking for something that spoke between organic and progressive, something sweet but danceable at the same time. Because that's what I've been enjoying doing on my sets. Something engaging without being cloying. I really liked the result and I hope the public has a positive view too.

Babel was a way of thanking all the love I have to many followers in Asia who were already asking me for another track with some mantra, they love 'Levenloos and Geest' (older tracks). I have many friends that I still don't know personally and this song was made thinking about them and their culture, especially Sri Lanka and India. I tried to keep a more danceable aspect in one part, and in another one sweeter with pads and plucks characteristic of Melody Stranger.


Finally I am happy to return to UV, that I admire and play many tracks.

5-Dimitris: Do you believe that artwork on your latest track is good and do you believe that artwork can attract listeners or record buyers? Can you mention the best artwork of a track ever released?

Melody Stranger: Yes, art is extremely important in my view. It's a combination of factors really, and the artwork certainly is important. I really like how it's done by UV and I'm very happy with the result.

I can't name just one artwork, but I'll tell you which artwork is my current favorite: Hoomidaas.


6-Dimitris: If you expect to have a steady income from your music productions are you satisfied with the way that royalties system works particularly regarding streaming revenue? Do you believe that artists get what they deserve from streaming providers/DJs playing your tracks in gigs/radio and selling music in physical formats like CDs/Vinyl or digitally.

Melody Stranger: Being very honest, I don't think it's fair, because I believe that the artist should receive more for his art. And I say this about both streaming and digital sales. In digital sales, there are many abusive contracts that make no sense, but being on world-renowned labels helps you in different career paths, whether for good dates, support, collabs and networking with good people. Anyway, I'm working to have my own label and release my songs where I believe that in terms of sales I'll get a little better monetization.



7-Dimitris: Please note for all the new talents that read this interview to get some inspiration from you any technical tips in relation to your DJing or music productions. Also any piece of personal or music business' advice that has helped you to progress even further and is worth telling to the new upcoming talents.

Melody Stranger: Be persistent and consistent, join people who vibrate the same energy. There's a lot of work ahead of you, and you'll need to organize your time with music research, music production, marketing, goals, networking. Finally, follow your heart and work on the sound that makes you feel good, with that the process will be more pleasant.

8-Dimitris: How much do you care if your fans or followers like your productions? Do you struggle with the audience reception of your tracks and is this thought adds extra pressure on you and discourage you too?

Melody Stranger: I admit I worry about that. Years ago I didn't care, but over time it gets more serious. It challenges me, being able to express an idea in the form of music that I really like and that my followers can feel good about. That also works on the dance floor. I do this as much for myself as for those who follow me. For the messages of support and affection, and also for the criticism (some I see that make sense and add to my improvement list, others I simply respect but discard)


9-Dimitris: Do you believe that audience should be banned from constantly taking photos or videos during DJ sets or are you happy with these activities?

Melody Stranger: I'm in favor of everyone feeling free to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't hurt or disturb others. So taking pictures, filming is something that won't hurt anyone, let them be free.

10-Dimitris: Do you prefer small clubs or huge festivals to perform? in which festivals or clubs you aspire to play in the future?

Melody Stranger: I prefer clubs, totally. The human warmth is closer, you are very close to people and I find it a more rewarding experience from an artistic point of view. Not that I don't like playing at festivals, it's wonderful to see so many people honoring you, but I like the closeness that the club provides. There are so many, but I will mention space miami and Pacha Ibiza

Dimitris: Your message & wishes for Flux Bpm Online readers.

Melody Stranger: I'm happy to be able to tell you a little about Melody Stranger and share some thoughts. Thank you to every single person who supports my music.

Thanks so much to Melody Stranger for his nice answers.

Thanks to Paul Thomas at UV for arranging this interview. 

Find Dialekt/Babel here:  https://uv.streamlink.to/dialekt


Additional info: