04:43:00
A+ A-

Interview with Amos & Riot Night



 Hailing from one of the most famous cities in the UK, a place that is steeped in musical history, Liverpudlian trance artist AMOS & RIOT NIGHT aka David McClelland is one of the trance scenes rising talents.

In his adolescence, hearing trance for the first time on euro dance TV channels, he discovered the iconic sounds of Paul van Dyk, Armin van Buuren, Ferry Corsten and Above & Beyond. In his teens, as a young drummer in a metal band David discovered a great love for rhythm, add to that the melodic sounds of trance and it wasn't long until he was hooked on a genre and scene that would go on to shape his late teens, 20's and beyond.

After the digital era took full hold in the late 2000's, a new trance sound with an exciting wave of artists to go with it caught David's attention and led him even further down the trance path. Artists such as Sean Tyas, John O'Callaghan, Aly & Fila, John Askew, Activa, Daniel Kandi to name a few. His keen interest in this new sound soon became a creative urge, a want to learn production, it was time to dive in and make his take on this magical but even more driving modern trance sound.

As with many digital producers, DJing came later and the AMOS & RIOT NIGHT project was born in 2013 as the budding producer teamed up with Paul Holden (AMOS) who was David's (RIOT NIGHT) original studio collaborator and DJ partner. After a great 6 years as a duo, it was 2019 when he decided to go solo. David kept the A&RN name as it was already picking up pace in the trance scene with releases on labels such as Silent Shore, Defcon, Critical State and Extrema.

The AMOS & RIOT NIGHT sound can be described as a super fresh, uplifting, emotional and very much melody driven style, with loads of uptempo energy. A production focused sound, which is how David first met trance master Sean Tyas who has become a mentor in his production career, from feedbacking demos and championing A&RN tracks from early on, to releasing his tracks on his massive Regenerate label. Other labels David has unlocked since going solo are the impressive AVA White, Always Alive, Monster Tunes, GO Music, Deep In Thought by VII, Vandit, Subculture and the giant FSOE main label

DJ support is coming in from a who's who in the global scene with radio and live gig plays by Armin van Buuren, Aly & Fila, Paul van Dyk, John O'Callaghan, Sean Tyas, Giuseppe Ottaviani, Simon Patterson, Solarstone, Sneijder, John Askew, Will Atkinson (BBC RADIO 1), Mark Sherry, Jordan Suckley, Activa, Alex M.O.R.P.H., Manuel Le Saux, Craig Connelly, Daniel Kandi, Ferry Tayle, Paul Denton, Will Rees, Allen Watts, Greg Downey, Dan Stone and many more.

The proud achievements are coming in thick and fast for AMOS & RIOT NIGHT. From hearing his music being played at massive events such as Dreamstate, Luminosity, The Gallery @ Ministry of Sound and Gatecrasher, to the scouse spinner featuring on popular compilations by VII, FSOE 650, 10 Years of AVA and a collaboration feature with Manuel Le Saux for his album. Becoming a regular on Sean Tyas’ Regenerate label is also up there with his proudest moments.

DJ wise A&RN has picked up some great gigs so far with many more to come in 2021 and beyond. Playing to his home city crowd at Back To The Anthems, Gatecrasher @ Garlands and WeAreYou with names such as Judge Jules, Jan Johnston, Signum, Lost Witness, Sneijder, Shugz, David Rust, Liam Wilson. Already having made debuts in London @ Trance Sanctuary with Sean Tyas and Sam Jones, Ibiza @ Connected boat party with Andy Moor and even further afield his LA debut @ Intricacy.

Having already hit the top 10 on Beatport trance three times and with a string of new singles, collaborations, plus a debut artist album in early planning, AMOS & RIOT NIGHT has become a much-loved name around the scene with a rapidly growing artist profile, helping him climb through the ranks of global trance music.

Amos & Riot Night aka David McClelland latest releases includes his remix on Ciaran McAuley anthem Tears Don't Mean You're Losing on FSOE and his firestorming collaboration with Daniel Kandi Finally Able on Regenerate. We are glad that David is back with us to answer some fresh questions about his latest tracks. As always enjoy  his answers.



1-Dimitris: Why and under which circumstances did you took the decision to start DJing or producing electronic dance music?

Amos & Riot Night: When I started out production back when I was 16, it was purely with the intention of producing stuff with my old rock/metal bands I was in, as well as getting to know some basics on synthesis and trying to maybe incorporate some of that into the rock stuff. By that point, I already had a Roland SH201 synth (miss that unit!) and was getting to grips with that.

I had a massive soft spot for Trance and I remember hearing a lot of Trance tracks around 2011/2012 and seeing videos online from YouTube at that same time, some of which by the very top names in the scene. Straightaway, I thought if these guys can make music like that, then so can I. DJing came slightly later on, purely as a way for me to showcase what I was all about musically. When I started going out clubbing, I then got to know more about what tracks worked well at what moments and how to build a set, etc. Everyday's still a learning day for me in this game

2-Dimitris: Can you note down the top 3 producers that have influenced your decision to get involved in the electronic dance music scene and you admire and respect them very much?

Amos & Riot Night: Sean Tyas - one of a kind. A real gent! Insane sound design and always looking out for new ideas!

 Activa - goes without saying. Tight. Driving. Melodic. Still sounds fresh!

Third one, I'm gonna go way off course here and say Liam Howlett. Leagues ahead of everyone else. The stuff he's been doing with Prodigy still sounds so fresh to this very day, especially Fat of the Land

3-Dimitris: Can you tell us the top 3 tracks from the past that have influenced your sound the most and why?

Amos & Riot Night: There's too many, but on the spot, here we go:

The one that really started it all. Ferry Corsten's remix of the Adagio For Strings. As everyone's aware, Trance was hugely popular in the UK Charts around 1998-2003/04. Often, it was used to the background music of TV programmes. I first heard it to the background of a segment on an old CBBC programme called SMart - an art programme introducing kids to the world of arts and crafts. So yeah, this segment I specifically remember was all about capturing motion in drawing, and Ferry's remix was used as the background for it. I just remember hearing that in the background and being completely blown away by the sounds used, as well as of course the melodies that really took it to the next level up. I didn't know the name of the record itself until I was 14 and that's when I really started down the rabbit hole of rediscovering Trance. Still blows me away to this day.


Gareth Emery feat. Lucy Saunders - Sanctuary (Sean Tyas Remix) - it was the very first production that I personally remember from Sean. Level of detail into that remix is just next level. Still sounds just as big today!


Tough one on the last one. Erm, I'll go with Simon Patterson - Miss You. I could've gone for any around that same time, i.e. Taxi, Us, Mood Swing. This especially has everything that I really like about Trance. Emotion, power, drive. Even the twisted Tech elements before going to that lush piano break and then to that main melody!


4-Dimitris: It would be fantastic to talk about your remix on  Tears Don't Mean You're Losing on FSOE. Please tell us the background details of this remix.

Amos & Riot Night: It was last year when Ciaran had approached me asking to remix one of his previous releases on Future Sound of Egypt, specifically Tears Don't Mean You're Losing. He always liked that track, but felt like he needed something with a little bit more punch for the clubs.

I knew straightaway that it needed to be a little bit more tougher, certainly in the kick/bass, but that emotion still needed to be there from the original that Ciaran did. Only things I really used from the original were the piano/vocals/guitars - these elements were key to make it known that this was 'that track'. Melody was completely brand new for it and I decided to go for a bit more of an oldskool Trance vibe, akin to some of the Trance being released around 2003/2004. Ended up coming out with this almost Nu-NRG inspired melody and the sound choice for it really showed that sorta sound! Then added my normal chord plucks where needed and just went from there!


5-Dimitris: How long it took you to produce this remix and can u describe the production process in simple steps?

Amos & Riot Night: In the case of the remix for Ciaran, production wise, this took no longer than a week or 2 I would say! It was one of those where everything just came together very quickly rather than trying to force anything out. It helped that I already had the parts there from Ciaran's original to give me a headstart. He then worked on the final master for it at his end and it turned out pretty big!

6-Dimitris: Also you just released the excellent Finally Able on Regenerate with Daniel Kandi. How this great track came about?

Amos & Riot Night: This time I'm teaming up with iconic producer Daniel Kandi. So about 2 years ago, Daniel was over in the UK for snooker related stuff, and we spoke at the time about meeting up and working on a track together. I mean, when in Rome right? He's always someone I've highly admired production wise over the years since I started out producing when I was 16/17 and now to be working with him and releasing with him is bit of a dream come true really! Double meaning to the 'Finally Able' name. Daniel was 'finally' using Ableton for the first time when we started the initial production phase, though he then did his magic finalising it in FL once I had the arrangement done at my end after our first session. The other part of the title is that I was finally able to speak my truth and that I can finally be my 100% real self.

So there we are :-)


7-Dimitris: Can u tell us about the production process of Finally Able too?

Amos & Riot Night:  As for 'Finally Able', we both started it in person in an absolute sweat box of a studio in Sheffield. We got the main melodic parts of it laid out all in the first session as well as some of the foundations. I then took the project back home to Liverpool with me and arranged it out in full. There some bits specifically that Daniel had agreed to work on, i.e. transitions and of course the final mix/master. When I arranged it, I then sent over the parts to him for him to work his magic. Took a few sessions to get it right over a good while, but by the time the final master was sent, we knew we had a big one!

8-Dimitris: Did you had any particular difficulties accomplishing Finally Able or any specific technical challenges or obstacles that you had to overcome during its production.

Amos & Riot Night:  I guess in the case of 'Finally Able', we had a great first session, but then because me & Daniel live in different countries, trying to get the time to work on the project wasn't always easy because we both had a lot going on in our lives, but we finally got it over the line!

9-Dimitris: Do you prefer vocal or instrumental tracks? If there are vocals on the track we discuss about tell us about the singer you work with?

Amos & Riot Night: Both equally! I am very fussy with vocals though as the songwriting has to be absolutely spot on.

10-Dimitris: Do you believe that artwork on your latest track is good and do you believe that artwork can attract listeners or record buyers? Can you mention the best artwork of a track ever released?

Amos & Riot Night:  Ah I'm all over the artwork that Sean did for 'Finally Able'! It really captured the emotion in that perfectly. I'm finally on the other side of all the bullshit that came before me and I'm finally able to just be myself.

11-Dimitris: Can you pick your favorite top 3 record labels including the one released the track that we discuss in this interview and give us a short comment about why these labels are important to you and the music scene too?

Amos & Riot Night: I'll answer this in 2 ways. The 3 labels which have influenced my sound the most

Without question: Anjunabeats (specifically from 2005-2009)
This was for me its absolute peak of the proper melodic Trance. So many beautiful, yet equally powerful tracks that got released during that time! Some of them still stand the test of time to this very day. They still continue to be an absolute powerhouse in the industry, albeit different direction, but hugely admire them all the same.

Discover (2006-2011 era) - look, if you see some of the artists that have come out from that label and where they are now, it's plain to see why. Clean, tight, melodic, driving. Straight to the point.

Vandit - still equally as influential to me as it was when I first started out. So many iconic tracks released on that label. I'm proud to have had a release on there! Who knows when I'll be back! We shall see :-)


Which labels are my top right now?

Future Sound of Egypt - it's actually 3 years since my first release with them alongside Robbie Graham. Pretty much has been my mainstay since 2020 and long may it continue!

Borderline - the quality just coming out of that label is right up there as being the best right now! I've always been a huge fan of Activa since starting out production years ago and when he brought back Borderline, I just knew that the gear on that label will be just absolutely top class. Setting the standards right now. Consistent

Regen - no bias. Again, setting the standards for me! I'm always beaming ear to ear when I receive new music from Regen every time and Sean really knows how to get good quality control - so it's no surprise!

12-Dimitris: Are you planning to complete an album or mix compilation soon? if yes please give us all the details about regarding tracks and how will look and sound like?

Amos & Riot Night: Argh I've been toying with the idea of an album on and off for some time, but due to other commitments, work, family life, etc, I've not really had a chance to properly think about it. It's not just something where I can easily bang a load of tracks together and bam, there's an album. It has to be a lot more to it. A real journey from start to end.

13-Dimitris: Are you happy about the quality of the tracks released in your preferred music genres? Please justify your answer with your opinion about it!

Amos & Riot Night: Don't get me wrong I'm all about Trance, but it really does need a massive overhaul and better quality control. Saying that though, there's a lot of shit in every genre. You just have to really trawl through and find the good stuff. It may be sitting there when you least expect it.

That being said, as great as it is that music production has become more accessible to others, when producers use templates and change only the key and the melody. I'm sorry that's fucking lazy. No wonder I see folk bitching about it, especially at the highest level.

Always start from scratch peeps.

14-Your current Top 3 tracks with short comment:

Amos & Riot Night: Ben Gold - Rest of Our Lives (Paul Webster Remix) - without question, the tune of the summer! Just a proper feelgood track, banging kick/bass, driving with a huge singalong chorus. Just how I like it!


Sneijder - Dawn - definitely older Discover meets early 2000s Trance. Really liking the gated riffs on this one!


Adrian Boland - Follow the Path - this one is due out very soon and I've been hearing snips of this from Adrian over a 2year period. He was that close to not putting this out, but damn the melody on this is just something special! It's a rarity that a Trance track genuinely leaves me beaming ear to ear from start to finish. This is definitely one of them! Really takes you on a journey! Huge props to Adrian for not giving up!


15-Dimitris: Can you describe your music as certain music genre such as trance, house, techno or your music exempts these categorizations? What is your opinion about hybrid styles and artists who are attempting to mix influences from various genres in their tracks?

Amos & Riot Night: I'd definitely say I was Trance through and through. I will listen to anything and anything as a listener as long as it puts a big smile on my face. I often draw on other styles for inspiration, especially from a lot of rock music. Liquid DNB as well. I'm all about fusing bits and pieces together, but as long as it all makes sense sonically, then I'm easy.

Thanks so much to David for his precious time to answer this great interview.

Thanks so much to team FSOE for arranging and thanks to Regenerate team too.

Ciaran McAuley - Tears Don't Mean You're Losing (Amos & Riot Night Remix)

Daniel Kandi + Amos & Riot Night - Finally Able

Additional info: