16:18:00
A+ A-

Interview with Daniel Wanrooy about his track Time on Flashover Recordings



Hailing from the flatlands of Southern Holland, Daniel Wanrooy has been influencing the playlists of some of the world’s biggest & best artists for the last decade. His music got support by Tiësto, Hardwell, Armin van Buuren, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, Martin Garrix, Ferry Corsten, Markus Schulz and many more!

Daniel’s career really started to take off from the early 2000’s. Daniel was spotted by the mighty Tiësto, who took Daniel under his wing, supporting him with a tour around the globe. During the years the superstar DJ used a total of 5 tracks of Daniel’s work on his mega-selling “In Search of Sunrise” series. His first album “Different Day, Different Light” was credited by MTV as “two hours of fascinating music”, receiving a huge reception from press and DJs alike. His second album “Slice Of Life” was also a massive success, with the music video USA Idols finalist Blake Lewis for their single “Stay In The Moment”. During his Slice Of Life world tour he was special guest on national Malaysian television during the “Hello on 2” breakfast show for over 5.000.000 live viewers.

With this is mind its understandable that Daniel was called upon to work with some of the scenes most credible producers, with him remixing tracks for the likes of: Tiësto, Deadmau5, Armin van Buuren, The Crystal Method, W&W, Sander Kleinenberg and many more. Daniel has works with & released on such labels as Spinnin’ Records, Mixmash, Armada, Black Hole Recordings, EMI & Magik Muzik to name a few. In 2020 Daniel started his own label Elpida Music in collaboration with Black Hole Recordings.

A wish to see his tracks working from the perspective of the DJ booth along with a desire to travel the globe prompted Daniel to take the DJing plunge. Daniel threw himself headfirst into his performances, spinning at the legendary Heineken Hall in Amsterdam, Trance Energy – Holland, Winter Music Conference – USA, Technoparade – France, The Point (TIËSTO tour) – Ireland, Es Paradis in Ibiza, Eden – Ibiza, FFWD Dance Parade – Holland, Hellinikon Complex (TIËSTO tour) – Greece, Luxy – Taipei, Oslo Streetparade – Norway, Monday Bar Cruise – Sweden, Brixton Academy – England, Carling Academy – Scotland, Suikerrock – Belgium, Halo – South Africa, Rising Festival Malaysia, Mysterious World – Indonesia and many many more to over 15,000 strong crowds across the World!

His latest track Time is out now on Ferry Corsten's legendary label Flashover Recordings. We requested an interview and we are happy that he had the time to reply on some of them. Enjoy his answers.



1-Dimitris: It would be nice to start by telling us your 3 most important achievements or goals fulfilled in your career so far that you very are proud of.

Daniel Wanrooy: The first will be my 4 tracks in on the famous In Search Of Sunrise compilations mixed by Tiesto. The second will be my tour, again with Tiesto through Europe for HUGE crowds. The third will be this year, it will be revealed in a few weeks from now. :)

2-Dimitris: Why and under which circumstances did you took the decision to start DJing or producing electronic dance music?

Daniel Wanrooy: After I signed my first tracks to Black Hole Recordings in 2004/2005, together with Robin back in the days, they asked us to join the DJ roster and they asked us for an album later. So I had to learn how to DJ! First vinyl then CD. So I can do it all.... although the vinyl part will be very rusty now, haven't done it for years haha

3-Can you note down the top 3 producers that have influenced your decision to get involved in the electronic dance music scene and you admire and respect them very much?

Daniel Wanrooy: Ferry Corsten, his remix for Adagio is still one of the best tracks ever made! For the rest I don't have any producer in particular I think, I released my first track in 2001, before that I was just practicing and practicing, but not really focused on names I think.


4-Dimitris: It would be fantastic to talk about your track Time on Flashover Recordings. Please tell us how this track came about and what was the idea behind it.

Daniel Wanrooy: "Time" has been just released on Flashover Recordings by Ferry Corsten. It's not that I go to the studio with a certain idea "I am going to to make a track like this or that." I just go with the flow and see what comes up. Really happy with the result tho.


5-Dimitris: How long it took you to produce it and can u describe the production process in simple steps?

Daniel Wanrooy: I think the idea was there in a few hours. I started with the melody. Then I'd add the chords and basslines, based on that melody. Then I Have to decide what kind of drive the track needs. Eventually I did add the vocal and the effects. And the arrangement as last step.

6-Dimitris: Did you had any particular difficulties accomplishing that particular track or any specific technical challenges or obstacles that you had to overcome during its production.

Daniel Wanrooy: uhmmmm not really! I know how to solve most things pretty easily if there is something.


7- Dimitris: Which music composition software or hardware you prefer and why? What is your opinion of the latest movement to produce music with more analogue equipment and with less or without any digital software?

Daniel Wanrooy: I sold almost all my hardware during the years. It's nice to have but mostly pretty complicated to integrate with the DAW's. I use Ableton to do my tracks, love it! :) Everyone has to do it the way they prefer, but nowadays the VST's are SO good, it can be done easily with digital only in my opinion.

8-Dimitris: Do you prefer instrumental dance tracks or you adore vocals? Please explain to us your position and if in your latest production you have vocals tell us how did you choose the specific singer and if it was great to work with her/him?

Daniel Wanrooy: I like both... dull answer I know, but it depends on the track. Sometimes I hear a track with vocals and think "It would have been stronger without vocals, good when they release a dub version as well!" Instrumental tracks can be great as well. I just finished a collab with JES, and it was so great to work with her, she is an amazing professional. Can't wait to let the world hear what we did!

9-Dimitris: Can u mention the vocalist/singer or lyricist on electronic dance music you aspire to work with?

Daniel Wanrooy: Daniel Wanrooy: JES has always been one of my favorites, and it just happened, so I am totally satisfied! :) But of course there are many more great artists out there...


10-Dimitris: Do you believe that artwork on your latest track is good and do you believe that artwork can attract listeners or record buyers? Can you mention the best artwork of a track ever released?

Daniel Wanrooy: I think it's great! Looks really good. The title is "Time" and it has something to do with "Time", so they did a good job haha. Nowadays you see a lot of AI covers, but it's a bit of the same I guess. I don't think a cover is THAT important anymore.... it's not that I won't stream or buy a track because I don't live the cover as long as the music is good.

Dimitris: Your message & wishes for Flux Bpm Online readers.

Daniel Wanrooy: Thanks for the interview Dimi! I wish everyone a great summer (winter for the southern half) and hope to see you all somewhere around the globe :)


Thanks to Daniel for finding the time to reply in this interview. 


Additional info: