08:28:00
A+ A-

Best of 2022 Interview with Chris Oblivion

 



DJ since 1991, Radio producer since 1992, Music producer since the early 00s, Events promoter since mid 00s, Raver since the begging of the era till today.

Chris Oblivion seems like he's been in the scene since forever, always in love with the sound of the underground but not barred by it, he is continuously present to serve the electronic dance culture in many forms.

As a dj he supported many top international names in their appearances in Greece the likes of Paul Van Dyk, Tiesto, John 00 Fleming, Aly & Fila, Push, Roger Shah, Vini Vici and many more, while in his headlining events he drifts from progressive tunes to the hardest psytrance ones with a unique way.

His radio show "Insomnia Radio Show" is on the radio for more than 25 years non stop in a raw, establishing itself as one of the longest living underground radio shows in Greece, both on terrestrial radios and in web radios.

He began producing music to find a way to express his perspective of the world, and till today (2022) he has more than 100 releases as an artist or remixer.


Dimitris: Your Top 3 biggest music career achievements in 2022:

Chris Oblivion: It is hard to say what an achievement is, but if I have to state 3 key points for 2002 then I would choose the following.

a. My EP "Margins" released from 1db Records since the music in this release is very unique and out of the box.

b. My very productive summer which made so many tracks ready to be released in 2023.

c. The induction of my 8 year old son in the music industry with him writing melodies for several of my tracks.

Best of 2022


1) Best track(s) and short comment for each track from other fellow artists of 2022

Chris Oblivion: One of the best tracks I've heard this year is Digital Blonde vs Idiosyncrasy - Providence. It is the perfect combination of dark driving trance with progressive elements, blended with the weird and distinctive style of Digital Blonde. I believe that Alan (Idiosyncrasy) did a great job in the
track as well.

 


2) Best of 2022 personal productions with short comment about them:

Chris Oblivion: Of course I would selected "Margins" from my "Margins EP". Although most of my latest releases are remixes with a more contemporary sound, this original has a very different approach on Electronic Dance Music. I tried to capture the native feeling of our connection the our planet by blending sounds which refer to our most primitive instincts and sounds which refer to the most modern and underground music styles. Although it is categorized as "psytrance" I bet that even the best judge would not be able to place this track on a certain category.

3) Best Artist of 2022(DJ & producer) with short comment:

Chris Oblivion: As a DJ I would place my money always on John '00' Fleming. This guy is a true scientist on the decks, creating memories and not just placing "track-after-track" with "wow-drops". He makes a complete trip and when everything is over you never knew what hit you.


As an artist I cannot be more behind Digital Blonde since he is out of this world. Every creation of his, every remix, every sound which comes out of this studio is truly unique, distinctive and cannot be replicated! I believe that he might be an intelligent alien form in a human suit!!!


4) Best Remix(es) from other fellow artists of 2022 with short comment :

Chris Oblivion: I loved Active Limbic System's remix on o track of mine with friend Soundpass "At The Gates Of Desert". This track was created as a reference to the old goa trance scene only to be featured in my personal album "Living Trance" (released by 1db Records) and ALS Remixed it just fine giving it a more driving twist.


5) YOUR Best Remix which you have produced of 2022 with short comment?

Chris Oblivion: For 2022 I think i have to choose my remix on "I Miss You" for Jameson Tullar, Alex Van Sanders and Rebecca Louise Burch. A very well crafted track with beautiful melodies, driving and haunting vocals. Worked the best for me.


6) Best Remixer(s) of 2022 with short comment:

Chris Oblivion: I would choose Alex Di Stefano, since whatever he touches is gold and best for the
dance floor.

 

7) Best social media response you may have received about your music or your DJ performance of 2022:

Chris Oblivion: Hehe, this always makes my day! Whenever I play music somewhere, the next day there is always a guys sending a message saying "Hey man, I did not know any of the tracks you played but I had a great time so thank you"

This is what it's all about. Even people who are not "die hard trance fans" and come (maybe by accident) had a great time. That's why we (djs) play music in the first place.

8) Best music composition software of 2022 with short comment:

Chris Oblivion: FL Studio. I know that many will disagree but Image-Line has worked wonders since 2021. I am a traditional Pro Tools guy, but FL Studio captured my imagination and turned it into sounds.

9)Best club event /festival/music conference of 2022 with short comment:

Chris Oblivion: Every F.S.I. Events party i've played. These guys are amazing in organization and
quality music.

 

10) Your Best personal DJ Gig & DJ performance of 2022 with short comment:

Chris Oblivion: Sorry, I cannot judge myself in public, I would trash me so much and i am very harsh on myself! It's up for the people to do so.

11) Best production or DJ equipment (a)software & (b) hardware) of 2022 with short comment:

Chris Oblivion: I loved the Denon Prime Go product. Maybe the best compact standalone dj gear you can get. Has everything, very reliable and works even without power giving you up to 4 hours of deck time.

12) Best ever electronic dance music track(s) of all times with short comment?

Chris Oblivion: The Overlords - Sundown. The feeling, the atmosphere, the haunting voice, the pace of the track are remarkable.


13) From 1 (bad) to 10(super excellent) what is your rate for 2022 in electronic dance music?

Chris Oblivion: 7, there is always a room for improvement

Dimitris: In which TV series, film or advert would you like to experience your track being used? Which track was the best placed on films/TV series/advert/official aftermovie of a festival from another artist?

Chris Oblivion: I would like to hear a track of mine on "Chernobyl" of "Maestro". Not the same track, I have an idea for every one of these series.

Dimitris: During 2022 we experienced many tracks that were hybrids of music styles & genres. Do believe that music genres or styles are still relevant today?

Chris Oblivion: As a matter of fact yes, the genres are relevant so we can mix them up, mash them up and deliver something new. It's a relation like "groceries and salad". You love a great mixed salad but you still need to have have tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, carrots etc.

Dimitris: Do you have any concrete plans for 2023 regarding future releases, tracks, albums, collaborations, DJ gigs? Please provide us the juicy details.

Chris Oblivion: Yes, I've been very active in 2022 creating. Till now I have 2 original releases coming out on the revived Rated Records, also a remix for them, I have another remix for Astral Projection's "Utopia" (with my friend Astro-D) coming out on Spiral Trax and another original vocal track with Pelany about to be signed. So let's say that for the first half of 2023 you will see many many Chris Oblivion releases.

My ultimate aim is to finish my second personal album.

Dimitris: Your message & wishes for 2023.

Chris Oblivion: Wishing health to everyone, peace in mind and more music in your life.

Additional info: