01:02:00
A+ A-

Interview with Soul Alt Delete about his track Float With Me out on UV Summer Sessions 2024

 


From his beginnings in a part of the world very few people are familiar with, hidden away in the rolling valleys of the Derbyshire Dales, the now London based Soul Alt Delete is bringing a futuristic and innovative sound to the world of electronic music.

As well as being featured as BBC Introducing Producer of the Month, and on some of Apple Music’s biggest dance playlists, his signature sound has found its way onto some of the best labels in the industry

His work has also seen support from names such as Sasha, Hernan Cattaneo, John Digweed, and Faithless.

His latest track Float With Me is out on UV Summer Sessions incredible EP amongst many others equally mesmerizing tracks and we think that is great occasion to catch up with him and let us know the background of the making of this track and also to find out his roots in electronic music and current plans. You just discovered an artist that is destined to bring incredible tracks in the near future. 


1-Dimitris: It would be nice to start by telling us your 3 most important achievements or goals fulfilled in your career so far that you very are proud of.

Soul Alt Delete: Wow, let's have a think, 

1. Non music related, but getting into Exeter University a few years back. I had a tough time at school, plus my teachers didn't think I would get very far based on how I was doing in class. Luckily I became good friends with the headmaster who got me to get my act together. And fortunately I managed to make the grades to get into one of the world's best university's. My parents were very happy

2. Getting a DM from my long time musical inspiration, Hernan Cattaneo. Where he commended me on my music, and gave me his email to send my music to direct to him. That was a real pinch me moment.

3. Getting signed to FSOE, and also Pure Progressive. Both these labels and their owners are so influential and have a great ear for what music is leading the trend. So to get recognition from Solarstone, and Aly & Fila was a surreal moment.

2-Dimitris: Why and under which circumstances did you took the decision to start DJing or producing electronic dance music?

Soul Alt Delete: I started DJ'ing at age 10. I had a computer at my family home, and I lived in a rural community where there was nothing to do except farm, or walk around the hills. So i got into DJ'ing initially with Traktor, where I'd spend hours mixing my favourite tunes (rather than doing school work)

I began producing at age 19, when I first went to university. Once again trying to avoid academia at all costs, I found this was a great way to waste time. Just kidding, I figured out if I wanted to be a DJ, I needed to make my own music. So I began, in my dorm room at Lafrowda Block C halls. It was me, my laptop, and a pair of headphones, trying to figure out Logic Pro, and to make something that wasn't awful. I'm glad I stuck with it.

3-Dimitris: Can you note down the top 3 producers that have influenced your decision to get involved in the electronic dance music scene and you admire and respect them very much?

Soul Alt Delete: Absolutely,

1. Deadmau5 - this guy was my first introduction to dance music. Before that I'd played guitar for like 6 years, but when I heard his song Strobe, I was like wow, this is the sound I like and want to make. He is one of the greatest to have done it, he's released some incredible work, and I respect him greatly for having done so

2. Lee Burridge - All Day I Dream, what a label, and events company. This guy created the underground dance scene in Hong Kong and arguably popularised the organic house sound, Super laid back guy, and really unique productions and sets, super influential.

3. Paul Oakenfold - His Global Underground compilations were immense. He really did pioneer the British dance music scene. He's composed film scores, warmed up for U2, and recently opened his own club in the USA. This guy's 'F**k you' attitude and getting stuff done really resonates with me. Total badass, and excellent businessman, RESPECT!

4-Dimitris: Can you tell us the top 3 tracks from the past that have influenced your sound the most and why?

Soul Alt Delete: 1. Deadmau5 - Strobe : I racked up something like 10k plays of this on my iTunes when I was a kid. That drop is insane! It introduced me to the possibilities of making music on a computer.


2. Chicane - Saltwater : if any track defined the classic Balearic sound it's this one. Chicane is such a great producer, and this track is just oozing Ibiza vibes from a time gone by


3. Robert Miles - Children : The piano line in this is iconic. Robert captured a moment in time with this track that to this day makes people yearn for that era. Such a memorable and iconic electronic track.



5-Dimitris: It would be fantastic to talk about your track Float With Me that is part of UV Summer Sessions 2024. Please tell us how this track came about and what was the idea behind it.

Soul Alt Delete: So my latest release with UV, Float With Me, came about as I'd sent it to Hernan to use in his sets. During his set in Mendoza last year, I think it was his Sunset Strip set, he played it, and the track absolutely went off! I sent this video clip to Paul at UV, and he signed it right away.

The idea behind the track is sort of dumb, it doesn't really have a deep meaning, it's just about smoking a joint with your friends and 'floating' together lol


6-Dimitris: How long it took you to produce it and can u describe the production process in simple steps?

Soul Alt Delete: It took me around 3 hours to make. I use Splice heavily in my tracks, so it was a case of finding the samples I liked, and then engineering them to sound even better / work together properly in a complete track

7-Dimitris: Did you had any particular difficulties accomplishing that particular track or any specific technical challenges or obstacles that you had to overcome during its production.

Soul Alt Delete: No not really, it was fairly straightforward from a technical standpoint

8-Dimitris: If you would have the opportunity to change something in your track and maybe to do a new remix what elements are you unhappy with and you are going to change? Is there any artist that you feel would be fantastic to remix this track and why?

Soul Alt Delete: I do think the track is a little sparse in the build up, I'd want to go back and add more percussion if I had the chance. As far as remixers, it would be great to have Paul Thomas give it a go, he usually does excellent remixes for other artists

9- Dimitris: Which music composition software or hardware you prefer and why? What is your opinion of the latest movement to produce music with more analogue equipment and with less or without any digital software?

Soul Alt Delete: I always use Logic, I'm dumb, I like lots of colours, and Logic provides this. I think when it comes to discussing analog vs digital, I tend to have more important things to consider than which is better, for examples finishing tracks to send to labels.

I think people can make tracks however they see fit, anything else is a waste of time and energy

10-Dimitris: Do you prefer vocal or instrumental tracks? If there are vocals on the track we discuss about tell us about the singer you work with?

Soul Alt Delete: I like both definitely, Camelphat's vocal tracks are really really good, I'd love to work with Ellie Goulding at some point

11-Dimitris: Are there any vocalists/singers on electronic dance music you aspire to work with?

Soul Alt Delete: Ellie Goulding

12-Dimitris: Do you believe that artwork on your latest track is good and do you believe that artwork can attract listeners or record buyers? Can you mention the best artwork of a track ever released?

Soul Alt Delete: Yeah one of the major reasons I wanted to sign with UV is because of their artwork funnily enough. Their older records with the white background and bright flowers are the best I've seen of any artwork

13-Dimitris: Can you pick your favorite top 3 record labels including the one released the track that we discuss in this interview and give us a short comment about why these labels are important to you and the music scene too?

Soul Alt Delete: UV - top quality music, simple as that. They aren't loud about what they do, they quietly have built a sterling reputation as a home to some of the best artists in the scene

Cocoon - Sven Vath and his label are immense, they've been holding it down in Ibiza for a very long time now. It's a great variation of different sounds, each has its own character and stands out in its own way

Droid9 - Like UV, it has very distinct artwork, when their promos arrive in my inbox, I'm on them straight away. It's known as the label big artists in the progressive scene start at, it's a rite of passage. Great label, and its owner Jerry, super nice guy, very professional


14-Dimitris: Can you pick up your all time favorite album or compilation and tell us why you adore it so much?

Soul Alt Delete: So it's not a dance album, but George Strait's 'Honky Tonk Time Machine' is one of my favourite albums. I love country music, and this particular album, is what's great about Country, simple, understated, and honest. Perfect for a relaxing listen

15-Dimitris:How much time do you spend promoting yourself in your social media and you see this as essential tool for self promotion and getting bookings too? Which social media is the one that seems to work better for you?

Soul Alt Delete: It seems to be the entirety of my life, unfortunately, it is the essential tool of being an artist in the modern world. I used to work in social media advertising so I understand and apply it very well to growing my own brand.

I think for me, Instagram is the best. It's the best for reaching the demographic I'm aiming for (18 upwards), and it allows me to reach new people and have fun with people I know and my listeners.

16-Do you post videos on tiktok? If yes please reference for us your favourite? What is your opinion about the power of tiktok to promote music releases?Is there any tiktok video created by fans of you with your music worth mentioning?

Soul Alt Delete: Heck no, I hate TikTok 

17-Dimitris: Do you have any gigs/festival performances confirmed so far for 2024 in which ones are you most excited to perform and why?

Soul Alt Delete: I have a show coming up in August for Organica. This is one of London's best organic / progressive events that regularly has the best artists in the scene playing there. It's a great group of people and I feel I really fit in there


18-Dimitris: Please share your most funny and most serious incident that happen to you during your DJ or LIVE PA performance?

Soul Alt Delete: The worst experience I had was when my laptop cut out mid set at a packed out EGG in London. The room went dead silent, it was horrific. I stopped DJ'ing for a long time after that. I'm back now, and have managed to put that experience behind me, but it stuck with me for a long time and gave me major stage fright

19-Dimitris: Are you happy about the quality of the tracks released in your preferred music genres? Please justify your answer with your opinion about it!

Soul Alt Delete: Not really, generally the progressive genre has come to something of a standstill, all the tracks sound the same. There's very little innovation despite having 'progressive' in the title.

That's not to say there aren't artists I don't think are good, but overall, it leaves something to be desired, that's for sure

20-Your current Top 3 tracks with short comment:

Soul Alt Delete: Broken Doors - came out with FSOE Pattern last month, and is doing really well on Spotify

Time Bends - same as above

The Big Time - came out with ARRVL Records a few weeks back, and already is one of my highest streamed tracks of all time


21-Dimitris: If you expect to have a steady income from your music productions are you satisfied with the way that royalties system works particularly regarding streaming revenue? Do you believe that artists get what they deserve from streaming providers/DJs playing your tracks in gigs/radio and selling music in physical formats like CDs/Vinyl or digitally. 

Soul Alt Delete: Until you have a publisher, you may as well kiss your royalties goodbye

22-Dimitris: Please note for all the new talents that read this interview to get some inspiration from you any technical tips in relation to your DJing or music productions. Also any piece of personal or music business' advice that has helped you to progress even further and is worth telling to the new upcoming talents. 

Soul Alt Delete: Forget technical know how, this business revolves around your integrity as a person. Are you a nice person, do you conduct yourself professionally, do you know how to speak to someone properly, or keep a conversation going. Without these basic business skills, it doesn't matter hoe good you are

23-Dimitris: Many producers and DJs offer online masterclasses or teach to music production & DJing courses. Do you believe is essential to take part in any of these courses to develop your skills? Are you are offering any of these services? or other related services like ghost-producing or mastering? please tell us about these activities 

Soul Alt Delete: I had maybe 3 music lessons, everything else I figured out myself. The best way to learn anything is by making mistakes and going from there. You understand things more deeply that way. Personally, I wouldn't take any sort of online course, but that's just me

24-Dimitris: Is there a club classic that you would like to remix or rework in 2023? Do you attempt often to do your own bootlegs of classics?

Soul Alt Delete: I'd love to do a remix of Saltwater by Chicane, give it a modern twist

25-Dimitris: How much do you care if your fans or followers like your productions? Do you struggle with the audience reception of your tracks and is this thought adds extra pressure on you and discourage you too? 

Soul Alt Delete: Obviously I don't want people to hate them, but I do want them to be received well if I've put a lot of work into them. At the end of the day they're the ones who buy tickets to see you perform and stream your music. Without them you have nothing

26-Dimitris: Can you describe your music as certain music genre such as trance, house, techno or your music exempts these categorizations? What is your opinion about hybrid styles and artists who are attempting to mix influences from various genres in their tracks? 

Soul Alt Delete: It's somewhere between progressive, trance, organic and techno, if such a combination existed


27-Dimitris: Is your music business your full time occupation and are you able to make a leaving out of your music business (DJ/producer/label owner/teaching or mastering tracks)? If not what other jobs are you doing in order to support your income?

Soul Alt Delete: I work in sales, I absolutely love it. I get paid to go back and forth with buyers on a daily basis. Managing key relationships is what I'm great at, which transfers to my music. Some day in the near future, I imagine music will pay all my bills, but right now, I'm doing the two side by side

28-Dimitris: Do you believe that audience should be banned from constantly taking photos or videos during DJ sets or are you happy with these activities? 

Soul Alt Delete: So long as it's not too invasive I'm okay with it. If they respect my personal space, or get permission before taking a close up, I'm fine with it

29-Dimitris: Do you prefer small clubs or huge festivals to perform? in which festivals or clubs you aspire to play in the future?

Soul Alt Delete: I do like small venues. A quality venue that holds around 100-200 people is great. It's intimate, the sound is always really good in a room that size, and everyone feels part of the event, not part of a giant crowd


30-Please choose for us your favourite holiday destination and share with us your most unforgettable holiday experience(good/bad)

Soul Alt Delete: The Caribbean. I went here years ago with my family. The whole place is totally me. Laid back, no stress, and getting around to getting things done in a time frame that suits me 

Dimitris: Your message & wishes for Flux Bpm Online readers.

Soul Alt Delete: I hope you enjoyed the interview, have a lovely day!

Thanks so much to Soul Alt Delete for this stunning interview.

Thanks so much to Stuart at FSOE offices for organizing this great interview.