07:10:00
A+ A-

Interview with Dreamy about his track Flashes of High with Jake and Lyd14 on Reason II Rise Music

 


Danish Trance producer ‘Dreamy’ began listening to Electronic Music at a very young age. Over the years he has developed an extensive background in music.

Inspired by fellow countryman Mark Andrez back in 2009 as a starting point, Dreamy discovered a love for ‘Uplifting Trance’. Since then he has been focused on creating his own sound and establishing himself as a serious Trance Artist.

Numerous releases on the genres most successful labels, and continuous support from many of the World’s leading DJ’s, have identified Jack as a rising star of Trance.

Genre: Uplifting Trance, Emotional as Dreamy

Progressive Trance / Progressive Breaks as Dawn / Dark Matter

Tech / Psy trance as Divisional Phrase

His latest track Flashes of High co-produced with Jake and Lyd14 is out now on Reason II Rise and it sounds like the perfect occasion to request an interview from Dreamy who was so kind to reply with so much depth and details. You can read it straight away while you enjoy Flashes of High. 


1-Dimitris: It would be nice to start by telling us your biggest achievements or goals fulfilled  in your career in 2022 that you very are proud of.

Dreamy: One of my biggest highlight so far is to work with some of the biggest names in trance. I´ve recently got a few collabs lined up with names such as Ronski Speed, Madwave, DJ T.H. , BIXX, and many more to name a few. Whilst that, I'm very happy to be releasing on labels i back in the days, could only dream of!

2-Dimitris: Do you have already some concrete plans for 2023 and if you are allowed to announce them to our readers please tell us what you are preparing for us in the coming months regarding releases and performances in gigs/festivals.

Dreamy: I had a gig in Utrecht doing March, but so far no plans for gigs are yet to be announced. Its always a toughie regarding those as i may require some more help and etc. for this despite my illness in my legs.


3-Dimitris: It would be fantastic to talk about your latest release Flashes of High. Please tell us how this track came about and what was the idea behind it.

Dreamy: My release "Flashes Of High" was actually an idea that my buddy Jakob Stavnstrup aka other half of legendary Danish dance act "Fairlite", came up with, and we wanted to fulfill this track a bit more so we asked Lyd14 to write some epic vocals for this one and I think we all came up with something nice and unique

4-Dimitris: How long it took you to produce it and can u describe the production process in simple steps?

Dreamy:  As stated before Jakob actually had the idea in mind so I went to his house and sat down with him producing the initial idea. I then took what we had and made some nice vocal chops from Lydia´s amazing voice and the rest was history

5-Dimitris: Did you had any particular difficulties accomplishing that particular track or any specific production challenges.

Dreamy: I would say I did have a few burn outs doing this track as I struggle a lot with my health and sometimes it can be hard to keep up but I'm always grateful for these lovely times at Jakob´s place and you really get your fire up again despite maybe not feeling what you are doing, it always helps getting a chiller at his place and he's kind of a "talk all things" type of guy which really helps doing harder times which I feel is very important to have sometimes. A friend who you not only do music with but also can be your mind in some situation and keep you going :)


6- Dimitris: Which music composition software or hardware you prefer and why? What is your opinion of the latest movement to produce music with more analogue equipment and with less or without any digital software?

Dreamy: I'm mostly an Ableton Live guy as I love the features there. FL for the audio stuff as I feel like the time stretch in Ableton could be better (some says its amazing but its a matter of taste I think haha xD ) and I don't really think you have to have the best equipment to stand out in this scene at all or musically. It all comes down to how you use and know to use it. I have produced tracks on headphones, in fact the track I did for my very first ASOT release back in 2015 (The Truth We Can´t Escape" was made in a day in honor to my grandfather which most of you know, and that was made with headphones only :)

7-Dimitris: Do you prefer instrumental dance tracks or you adore vocals? Please explain to us your position and if in your latest production you have vocals tell us how did you choose the specific singer and if it was great to work with her/him?

Dreamy: It really depends. Sometimes its good to have a track that tells a story with a melody but vocals can take a track so much further regarding telling a story of what you want the audience to feel. This track is no exception and i really think Lydia nailed the idea Jakob had in mind :) She´s an amazing vocalist and the nice thing about her is you get everything from the box, adlibs, harmonies and etc.

8-Dimitris: If you really like to produce vocal tracks which vocalist/singer or lyricist on electronic dance music you aspire to work with?

Dreamy: I absolutely adore the voice of my friend Josie Sandfeld. She really packs a punch of something insanely mesmerizing regarding her voice! Other than that i would love to work with El from the Ridgwalkers single "Find" way back. There´s just something about her voice that's so magical. I hope to get the chance one day writing something with her and Ridgewalkers


9-Dimitris: Do you believe that artwork on your latest track is good and do you believe that artwork can attract listeners or record buyers? Can you mention the best artwork of a track ever released?

Dreamy: I think an good artwork is very essential for a good release and it helps engage the listeners to something epic. I love when I get a artwork and just go "Wow this is sick!!"

10-Dimitris: Your forthcoming release will on on Subculture. Can you tell us some details about Repeat please?

Dreamy: The latest I've got so far is the one that is coming on John O`Callaghan's "Subculture" label with Ronski Speed. Absolutely cannot wait to see the reactions to that one

Its my first ever time on Subculture and John was straight to the point so I'm defo not gonna stop sending him demos now that I finally have an open door to his label and I do have more tracks planned to be sent to him :)

11-Dimitris: Do you have your own record label? if yes tell us when did you set it up, the reasons behind this decision and your top 3 releases on the label so far plus 2 or 3 releases that we should look after from your label.

Dreamy: I did have a label before with my buddy Kinetica but due to personal reasons it was closed down but I did have the pleasure of seeing 2 top 1 tracks on the label from Paul Skelton so that was nice :)

As for now, I have started a trancer label called Bifrost Recordings with Danish mates only including Benya, Maratone and a lot of other Danish guys I know in this scene personally and it feels great to have something in common and have this bond with everyone and plan out stuff on it


12-Dimitris: Are you planning to complete an album or mix compilation soon? if yes please give us all the details about regarding tracks and how will look and sound like?

Dreamy: We actually are planning an upcoming Ibiza compilation for our label which is still in the works but do look out for this! :)

13-Dimitris:How much time do you spend promoting yourself in your social media and you see this as essential tool for self promotion and getting bookings too? Which social media is the one that seems to work better for you?

Dreamy: To be honest with you I'm not really a "promotional" guy that much and I do what I see fit. For me music is about the music and I feel like the social media is taking overhand in a way that's a bit damaging ranging from getting fake likes, to fake comments and all that sorts of things and sadly is a common trait these days you will fall into and don´t get me started on the political stuff. I would rather focus on myself and what I do and root for my fella friends and producers in this scene

As for bookings again I try very hard to get it to workout and I wish that people didn't had to have so much anxiety about booking me. I might cost a bit more due to having a helper with me but its seen before with this type of people and I know it can be done. Just look at my fellas Xijaro & Pitch! Absolutely smashing it and I'm buzzing for Anthony tbh! What a guy :)

14-Dimitris: Do you have your own radio show/podcast/twitch stream or Vlog(video blog)? If yes please give us a comment about it and how long it take you to prepare for it and if you are always excited to produce it?

Dreamy: I do have a YouTube channel but I rarely use it these days. I try to upload some new short videos regarding new releases so those who don't have access to beatport or other medias can still listen the previews or full versions of the releases with the label´s permission ofc


15-Dimitris: Please share your most funny and most serious incident that happen to you during your DJ performance?

Dreamy: I was playing in Utrecht a couple of months ago and I was so stressed out because I was trying to find the club I was suppose to play in (again my disabilities in my legs was a big hitter here :) ) and I eventually made it. Later in the set I end up dropping the same track into deck 2 without knowing it until I mixed it in but what was cool is I've had so much DJ practice over the years so I just break mixed the track into the next one. Gets to show you can save yourself in even the darkest moments

16-Dimitris: Are you enjoying to visit music conferences and do you have any plans to attend any of them in 2023:

Dreamy: I was planning to go to ADE but mostly for visiting the ASOT studio and see how that's like


17-Dimitris: Do you have an agent that organize your performances and gigs or are you taking care of them? If you do have one agency please tell us what is so special and you work with them.

Dreamy: I've tried to have an agent who was running my bookings but its not something im sure of doing again :)

18-Dimitris: Please note for all the new talents that read this interview to get some inspiration from you any technical tips in relation to your DJing or music productions. Also any piece of personal or music business' advice that has helped you to progress even further and is worth telling to the new upcoming talents.

Dreamy: Just be you! Focus on what you want to and try not to get overwhelmed by all the negatives and etc. in the scene. Focus on you and your goals and thing will eventually happen. Also don´t be afraid to reach out to people. The worst thing you can get is a no! Be brave, Be humble and kind and it will take you a long way. I´ve made mistakes in the past and learned from them

19-Dimitris: Many DJs who are producers too they offer online masterclasses or teach to music production courses. If you are offering any of these services please tell us about it.

Dreamy: I´ve tried some client works here and there but only when people asks me

20-Dimitris: Is there a club classic that you would like to remix or rework in 2023? Do you attempt often to do your own bootlegs of classics?

Dreamy: I´ve done a few bootlegs in the past but I tend to not really focus on classic remixes because most are overdue but if i should choose one, I would love to do one of DJ Encore - I See Right Through To You / The Danish Big Brother Theme or Safri Duo - Rise (Leave Me Alone) Ever since I heard that one I've been in love with trance music, like knowing what it was I wanted of music. I did do one last year of my all time classics from the Danish band Infernal, "Sunrise" which I was very proud of and both Paw and Lina loved it so much that they said yes to me playing it out which meant the world to me.

21-Dimitris: Vinyl sales are rising and there is strong demand for vinyl releases? What is the reason behind that trend and do you see it as a positive development?

Dreamy: Absolutely! I'm very much in for having your own music on CD or vinyl because it just makes you feel like you have something in your hand rather than just digitally


22-Dimitris: Many artist right now attempt to come closer to their fan base and use the meta verse in order to offer exclusive content to their most dedicated followers. Do you have any plans to do the same and what is your opinion about this plan to grow on metaverse?

Dreamy: I stick to just do what I do and not focusing too much on what other do to be honest. Makes a big difference for me

23-Dimitris: Do you believe that music genres or styles are still relevant today? What is your opinion about hybrids and artists attempting to mix influences from various genres in their tracks?

Dreamy: To be honest sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It all depends on who you are and what you like I believe. That's how I see it anyways

24-Dimitris: Finally tell us if you are able to make a leaving out of your music business (DJ/producer/label owner/teaching or mastering tracks) and if not what other jobs are you doing in order to make a decent leaving?

Dreamy: As my friend Mark Andrez said to me once "Its like winning in Lotto / the Danish jackpot thingy. Sometimes you get lucky with royalties, sometimes not :)

Dimitris: Your message & wishes for Flux Bpm Online readers.

Dreamy: I hope you had fun reading this interview and got to know a little bit more about me and my great friends Jakob / Jake and Lydia

Thanks so much to Dreamy for his wonderful answers.

Thanks so much to Tim at Reason II Rise for organizing this interview.

Additional info:
Contact mail: dreamydawnmusic@gmail.com