00:56:00
A+ A-

Best of 2021 Interview with Baby Doc

 

Baby Doc has been an innovator in the Techno and Trance scene since he came to the fore in the early nineties.

Baby Doc was the originator of  Hard House music . His original style has been taken on by many new techno producers to this day.

A prolific remixer.  BabyDoc has been commissioned to remix artists as diverse as Pet shop boys Iggy Pop the Age of love ,Marc Almond and Destiny Child to name but a few and hundreds of other dance tunes.

He has put out pivotal records on Labels such as Positiva , React ,EMI  Arriba, Rising high Pro Kult , Tec Virgin and Blu Fin and continues to push the boundaries with his current productions.



Dimitris: Your biggest music career achievements in 2021:

Baby Doc: Having the time to work on my new album “Twisted silky”

Dimitris: 2021 was the second year with Covid-19 worldwide pandemic! In what ways has affected you (a)as an artist in your art and profession & (b)any obstacles or opportunities you may discover during this year because of Covid-19

Baby Doc: I lost my dear friend and mix engineer Alan Emptage to Covid in January.
The best mix engineer I have ever worked with.
I had almost finished my album working with Alan on mix-downs every week it was heart wrenching and still is.
Having only a handful of his family and friends at the funeral due to lockdown conditions made myself loosing some gigs seem inconsequential.

Dimitris: Do you believe that vaccines against Covid-19 should be mandatory? Do you agree with the Covid pass system that has been used widely in clubs and festivals

Baby Doc: Absolutely not. I have had all my vaccinations but no one should be told what they should do with their own body .you should not be discriminated against for your  own choice on this. 
It’s starting to feel very 1984 by George Orwell. 

Dimitris: Are you satisfied from the financial aid that firstly the arts & culture sector including music industry got from your government and secondly yourself as an artist in order to recoup some of the losses caused from the pandemic?
 
Baby Doc: I didn’t get any help financially in any way .Luckily I was in a position that held me through last year.
I feel for others less fortunate than me . 
I also have no kids.
It must have been so tough for those that did without any work.

Dimitris: Do you feel that the pandemic has raised or decreased the artistic value and integrity of the electronic dance music musicians including DJs and producers?

Baby Doc: Amongst the fans it had increased but the promoters and clubs have forgotten how important we are to the profession.

Dimitris: During this year many clubs were closed and festivals canceled. What is your opinion about the trend to move electronic dance music activity solely online with DJ set streamed or with virtual festivals? Can ever virtual replace the physical human contact?

Baby Doc: At first I didn’t mind playing sets online. 
I have played virtual DJ sets last year in England, Spain, Switzerland, Portugal , Germany Argentina Ireland and the US all for no fee. 
This may be exciting for a amateur DJ but as a professional international DJ it has started to get a little tiring .
When I played in Germany in October it was so great to feel the positivity from the crowd.
Also some of the tunes I played that the crowd loved I didn’t appreciate till I saw the reaction they gave.

Best of 2021 according to Baby Doc


1) Best of 2021 personal productions with short comment about them:

Baby Doc: Baby Doc “London “it rocks.

2) Best Remix(es) from other fellow artists of 2021 with short comment :
 
Baby Doc: Mijk Van Dijk  . Proper quality with no soft synths.




3) YOUR Best Remix which you have produced of 2021 with short comment?

Baby Doc: David Christopher Feat. Martin Sola -Shout (Baby Doc Remix )




4) Best Remixer(s) of 2021 with short comment:

Baby Doc: Always me!!!!

5) Best New Talent of 2021 (DJ or producer) with short comment :

Baby Doc: Johan Swenson 

6) Best electronic dance music album of 2021 with short comment:

Baby Doc: I haven’t heard one that got me rocking sorry

7) Best electronic dance music label of 2021 with short comment:

Baby Doc: Blu Fin Records  always different always exciting 


8) Best electronic dance music video of 2021 with short comment:

Baby Doc: Baby Doc “ London” because I filmed it on the empty streets of London near my house in England.



 
9) Best online social media of 2021 with short comment:

Baby Doc: I’m crap at social media so they are all horrible ( if I was good at them I would love one of them)

10) Best social media response you may have received about your music or your DJ performance of 2021:

Baby Doc: I’m an African Prince and I need to send $8000000 to your bank account 

11) Best music composition software of 2021 with short comment:

Baby Doc: XO drum machine. The only soft synth I use

12)Best actual or online Club event /Festival/music conference of 2021 with short comment:

Baby Doc: Der Weise has Berlin . Even during lockdown they put events on . fantastic crowd a joy to DJ at.

13) Best DJ set from other fellow DJ (actual or online) of 2021 with short comment:

Baby Doc: Mijk Van Dijk at the Weise Hase Berlin 29th 10th 21


14) Best radio show/podcast/twitch stream or Vlog(video blog) of 2021 with short comment. It can be yours or from other artists you respect:

Baby Doc: Digital beats “ Blind test” with myself after being up all night and having drunk numerous bottles of wine getting all the questions wrong



15) Best review that you have read of 2021 about your tracks or for other artists tracks(please provide the link if this review is online):

Baby Doc: I don’t read them

16) Best music related website of 2021 with short comment:

Baby Doc: Yours

17) Best production or DJ equipment (a)software & (b) hardware) of 2021 with short comment:

Baby Doc: Korg minilogue XD so great a bit like my old Roland Juno 106

18) Best sound sample that has been used frequently in electronic dance music tracks of 2021 (personal or from other artists):

Baby Doc: You should never use someone else’s track ever.

19) Best technical tips that you learnt of 2021 in relation to your DJing or music productions:

Baby Doc: Don’t ever copy a track that’s already been made . If you can’t make something completely original don’t make anything 

20) Best piece of personal or music bussiness advice you got in relation to your career of 2021 and has helped you to progress even further:

Baby Doc: Stop looking back at music.
make music that moves forward and never copy what you have heard before.
Also never listen to anyone else’s view on your music unless it’s positive.
The amount of times I worried after people told me my that track was “too commercial  “ 
Or “ too underground “ 
I remember a Top A&R man from EMI records telling me in the 90’s that Trance music which I was playing him would only appeal to 500 people and never go worldwide. 

21)Best hobby or lockdown activity of 2021.

Baby Doc: Harley Davidson motorcycles and staring at my neighbors through the blinds until the police come round lol

22) Best ever electronic dance music track(s) of all times with short comment?

Baby Doc: Sourmash - Pilgrimage To Paradise 

23) From 1 (bad) to 10(super excellent) what is your rate for 2021?

Baby Doc: Always 10 

Dimitris: Do you have any concrete plans for 2022 regarding future releases, tracks, albums, collaborations, DJ gigs? Please provide us the juicy details.

Baby Doc: I’m finally finishing my album . Writing a book about life on the road and marriage to my 38 wives.
 
Dimitris: Your message & wishes for 2022.

Baby Doc: Every one needs to put their smartphones down including myself and live in the actual moment. Enjoy the small things in life.
A great meal , a beautiful sky ….

Thanks so much to Andrea at BluFin for arranging this interview.

Thanks to Baby Doc for the time spent to reply to this interview.

Additional info:
DjBabyDoc Instagram