01:45:00
A+ A-

Exclusive Interview with the upcoming electronic music artist SWARM


In 2018, SWARM started turning heads with his hyper-aggressive brand of industrial bass. In 2019 he intends to rip them clean off. His This Is The End EP is released new years day 2019. Definitely is an intriguing way to start your new year resolutions and exciting celebrations. We sat down with SWARM aka Brandon Carroll from Jacksonville, Florida - USA and we talked about his vision of electronic music in a dark atmospheric industrial world filled with heavy distorted basslines, moody melodies and strange creatures like him. 



Interview was written and conducted by Dimitri Kechagias, Music Journalist & Radio host on 1mix radio.



Dimitris: When did you start your involvement with electronic dance music and which music style you are more affiliated with and why?

SWARM: I bought Ableton Live in late 2017, and have been obsessing over it ever since. The darker side of electronic music is where my roots are, along with symphonic metal and industrial rock.

Dimitris: Did you had the opportunity to attend any kind of music production course or are u completely self taught? Do you consider that is essential for any artist to complete any production course?

SWARM: I wouldn't say completely self taught, but I didn't attend any courses or schools for production. I have met some invaluable friends along the way that have aided my technical production immeasurably, and I owe a lot to them for that. I am most definitely a hands- on learner, meaning I have a very tough time paying attention to a video or instructional course on something I'm interested in, but I know a lot of friends that have benefited from such courses. I do not think that as a general rule a production course is essential, but it can be a great catalyst for some people.

Dimitris: In which label was your first ever release and how did you manage to attract the attention of the label?

SWARM: The first label I released with was Nightenjin, based out of Canada. Awesome people! I mutual friend ended up working for them and I had just started getting confident in the darker direction my music was taking at the time. She sent them a song of mine and a few months later, "Nightmare" was released! I guess they liked it! Thanks Jillian & Danny!

Dimitris: Please pick for us your Top 5 tracks that you have produced and you consider them as being highly important for the progress of your career indifferent if they were commercially successful.

SWARM: 1. Savior - The first live musical support I ever saw and it was Porter Robinson. I was floored. That opened doors for me and I will be forever grateful for his continued support on that song.



2. The Nothing - Very emotional song for me, and it was the start of using more symphonic elements and generally taking a lot more risks musically.



3. Nightmare - Because this was the first truly dark song I produced, and for the support that Nightenjin gave me on it.



4. Another Brick In The Wall (A SWARM Nightmare)
The first "mid-tempo" song I ever finished. It was like a whole new world had opened up for me and I really fell in love with producing at that BPM range because creatively it's very open to interpretation. It can be heavy or it can be more laid back.



5. Never Ending with Varien
I listened to Nick's music for years before I even touched production. To have met and have him like my music enough to want to make a song with me was life changing. It'll always be very special to me and we are very good friends now.



Dimitris: Let's focus on your latest release This is The End out 1/1/2019. Please tell us from where did you got the inspiration for the EP?

SWARM: "This is The End." is a throwback to growing up buying CD's, listening to a collective body of work, reading CD liner notes, and generally hearing a story told by the artist. I really miss that. I really miss the build of excitement to release day and going to buy a physical copy of it. I miss music being released as more than just singles. I most of all miss listening to songs in the order the artist chose to put them on the CD/LP/EP because my favourite artists always had an interesting line of reason behind it. So earlier this year I decided to tell my own story, and I'm really happy with how it turned out. I'm excited for people to hear it!

Dimitris: How long it took you to produce it and was an easy or difficult process?If you have faced any difficulties please tell us about them and how did you resolve them?

SWARM: I started with the idea back in probably July. I wanted to do something more special than just singles, or two or three songs digitally and call it a day. It wasn't especially difficult, as my mindset going into it was "this is going to turn out as organic as possible". So I let myself experiment and slide out of my comfort zone a lot, and there are two songs in particular on the EP - "Fear" and "Kill Me" - that I really pushed myself out of my usual way of going about writing. I did have to learn a lot in the process though, because when you do something new it might take a bit longer than usual to get right.


Dimitris: Which was the biggest challenge that you faced during the production of This is the End EP?

SWARM: The opening song- Precursor. I wanted it to reference every song on the EP, including the closing melody of the album, while still being it's own idea. The lyrics of the spoken word portion reference all of songs that follow, and it's definitely directly related to the final song on the EP. That took several weeks to figure out, and while that may sound silly, it was really frustrating. I also hate the sound of my own voice, and I speak in it, so that was it's own situation.

Dimitris: Can you describe to us the steps that you went through for the production of the tracks included on this EP and of any other tracks that you have produced so far?

SWARM: How it usually goes is I'll get something stuck in my head, a pattern, rhythm, or even random sounds can trigger the start of a song. Usually the songs end up in a totally different direction, but any inspiration is good in my opinion. Some of what I consider my best music has come from weird mental places. My song "The Nothing" is still a bit difficult for me to listen to because I was emotionally really not doing too hot at the time, and that song just poured out of me. It means a lot to me.

Dimitris: Do the labels accept usually your music as it was produced or some labels recommend you to do changes or fix certain things?

SWARM: I independently release most of my music, but there has been one occasion that I was asked to do revisions by a label. They had very specific notes about certain parts, and I think they had some good criticism that ended up working out well.

Dimitris: Are the tracks included on This is the End EP are 100% original compositions or are they  based on a previous template from tracks produced in the past?

SWARM: All of them are original compositions as their musical directions vary a great deal. I do make a blank standard template for myself for general BPM ranges, but that's mostly for mixing purposes. I'll have some general tools like saturation and EQ settings in a rack with my go-to synth and I save those by heaviness, atmosphere, or something having to do with mood. I try to be organized with the sounds & presets I've made over the last year that work well for my music. It's basically to optimize productivity so I'm not spending a long time looking for "that preset I made that I really liked" or something like that.

Dimitris: Is the quality of this release higher than your previous one? If yes in what ways this track sounds better than your previous one?

SWARM: Yes. I have learned so much since I started and that may the most frustrating part is knowing you could have done better in a previous project. But that's also growth in a nutshell and the only thing to do it move forward and keep improving.

Dimitris: Do you have any friends or relatives that you send them your productions before sending it to a label?

SWARM: I have a few people I trust to give me real advice. I take critiques very seriously and those I send the songs to usually have something very helpful to say.

Dimitris: Describe to us the studio that you have produced the EP? What is your favourite hardware and software set up? Do you have in mind any new gear that you wish to get in order to raise the quality of your productions?

SWARM: It's very basic. It's my room. But a very important thing I've learned is "if you know how your equipment sounds, you can make a great mix". This is to say, even if you have $10 speakers from Walmart, you can still make a good mix on them because you know how they taint the sound in certain ways. Plus, you always have the car test- and that's the most important part to me, because that's where 99% of folks these days listen to music. The car test is so important!! It's also my favorite part of the process. It's enjoyable. My current go-to software is Kontakt & the software synth Spire. Kontakt is incredible. I produce on Ableton 10. I am currently happy with the gear I have, and I try to limit buying new stuff if I don't really need it. It just makes everything more complicated if it's not essential.

Dimitris: Do you master the music yourself or the mastering is task for the record label? Do you understand mastering as being essential?

SWARM: Yes, I master myself on my own songs. On collaborations, it usually ends up being my collaborator who masters, because my friends and collaborators rule and are very talented. Mastering does not have to be essential. It's all about how the mix sounds before that stage. Mastering can do practically nothing on a polished song, and also practically nothing on a poorly mixed song. It's all case-dependent.

Dimitris: There is a growing trend of vinyl coming back for good. Would you like to see this EP released on vinyl or any other of your future tracks? Do you prefer digital files or vinyl?

SWARM: I'm open to it! I printed "This Is The End." on (very limited run) CD's with a digipak because it's what I grew up with. It's the same idea though- people are starting to desire those physical things again, and I couldn't be happier. Plus it makes a very cool item for me to frame and look at every day. So yes, I am all for trying vinyl as well.

Dimitris:  Do you have any future releases planned and when will be released?

SWARM: After this EP releases on January 1st, I have a few official remixes I had the opportunity to create; they will be unleashed upon the world. As well as a healthy stockpile of originals and collaborations that will be lined up to see the light of day.

Dimitris: Can you tell us here your Top 3 best DJ gigs so far and the reasons that made them so special?

SWARM: 1. My first ever show- because it was very special and memorable seeing the support of my friends.

2. The first time I played in front of more than 20 people- because I felt on top of the world.

3. Opening for K?D in New Orleans, LA. The crowd was incredible and the energy was amazing. The venue was great, and I met wonderful people. Unforgettable.



Dimitris: Do you have any more DJ gigs planned for the next few months? If yes please note them down here.

SWARM: I do, I will be in Miami, FL at Club Space providing support for Joyryde on Dec. 28th. I will have many more announced soon, but after the EP is released when I'm a bit less stressed about the promotion and release aspect.

Dimitris: Do you produce a radio show/podcast as well?

SWARM: I do not at the moment, I listen to a lot of them though! A few of the members of my team are starting a podcast at the beginning of the year, and I'm very excited about that.

Dimitris: Best piece of advice you got in relation to your career so far and best tip you learnt recently to make your tracks better.

SWARM: Best piece of advice- don't take things personally. This is vital.

Best tip- learning how to actually compressor to benefit the music and not hinder it. It can either make something turn to mush or it can make things pop beautifully.

Dimitris: Please give us here your tips or more elaborated advice for any new artists who may read this interview and wish to get involved with the electronic music industry.

SWARM: 1. Don't give up. You're going to want to- just don't if you believe in what you're doing.
2. Find your brand. Find what you want to represent and be all about. Continue to grow that brand until you don't even have to think about it, it just happens naturally. Be all about your brand and wear it with pride.
3. You'll never stop learning, but you'll never learn what you should until you are willing to ask someone their honest opinion on something.
4. Make friends and don't expect anything in return.

Many thanks to Brandon aka SWARM for this interview with so much insight about his production process and very useful tips & tricks to other electronic music producers. We wish him to rock in 2019 even louder and harder!

Additional info: