15:38:00
A+ A-

Interview with Jares about Sam's Voyage Part III out via UV

 


Montreal based DJ and Producer, Jares' inspiration comes from a firm belief that deep progressive sonorities, combined with a detailing beat, can produce an inner state of euphoria and mindfulness.

His style blends ethereal, orchestral and progressive sounds that explore the deeper shades of the musical spectrum. With his dynamic sound and unwavering dedication to his craft, he released music on labels such as Katermukke, UV, Beatfreak, Deep Tales, Steyoyoke, Natura Viva, Harabe and Freegrant Music.

Jares' music is a reflection of his personal journey, and he aims to connect with his audience on a deeper level through his emotionally charged performances. His worked enabled him to showcase his sounds in Canada's finest clubs including the world-renowned Stereo Afterhours, as well as playing alongside legends like Hannes Bieger, Miss Monique, Soul Button, Henry Saiz and Dosem.

His latest track Sam's Voyage Part III is out now on UV and we are happy that he had some time to reply in our questions. Enjoy reading his answers and digging into his music.


1-Dimitris: It would be nice to start by telling us your 3 most important achievements or goals fulfilled in your career so far that you very are proud of.

Jares: That's a good question! I would say the first one was having the guts to release my first ever track! The second one was seeing my track played at Coachella by the legends John Digweed and Sasha! The third achievement would've been playing at my favourite club Stereo Afterhours.. the place where I first fell in love with electronic music and danced for hours :D These were beautiful life-changing moments.


2-Dimitris: Why and under which circumstances did you took the decision to start DJing or producing electronic dance music?

Jares: I started producing music few years ago when I lost someone very close to me, my brother Sam. He was my inspiration and the person who introduced me to music. Actually, my first ever release was Sam's Voyage, a tribute to him! And my recent release on UV was Sam's Voyage Part III. I had previously release Part II on steyoyoke. When i lost him, i really had difficulty expressing feelings and music played a big role in my coping and grieving process.

Overall, I believe in the power of music to change lives and that's why I do what I do!

3-Can you note down the top 3 producers that have influenced your decision to get involved in the electronic dance music scene and you admire and respect them very much?

Jares: That's a difficult one! I would go with Bodzin for the dark side, Worakls for the orchestral elements and Einmusik for the melodic patterns.


4-Dimitris: It would be fantastic to talk about your track Sam's Voyage Part III released on UV. Please tell us how this track came about and what was the idea behind it.

Jares: My latest release was Sam's Voyage Part III. A track I dedicated to my brother Sam. I wanted a truly melodic voyage with a fight between 2 synths, representing the fight between grieving and moving on :) The conclusion is the beautiful cohabitation! I really enjoyed the process of composing this track and was happy with the final result. I also got remix treatment by the genius Kamilo Sanclemente as a cherry on top :) Couldn't have asked for a better remix.

5-Dimitris: Did you had any particular difficulties accomplishing that particular track or any specific technical challenges or obstacles that you had to overcome during its production.

Jares: I think my challenge was to do all what I wanted to do with the melodies without overcrowding the track. I had a tendancy to put a lot of elements and I've been working on making my projects more simple. So yeah I wanted to work on sophisticated melodies and textures without losing it...


6-Dimitris: Do you prefer instrumental dance tracks or you adore vocals? Please explain to us your position and if in your latest production you have vocals tell us how did you choose the specific singer and if it was great to work with her/him?

Jares: I love Instrumental dance tracks!! I remember when I first started raving.. I found it odd listening to music with no lyrics.. but little did I know I was exploring a whole new world. When you listen to instrumental music, you create your own story with the music! You're forced to follow specific lyrics and meanings. I really love that and find it quite meditative..


7-Dimitris: Can you pick your top 3 record labels including the one released the track that we discuss in this interview and give us a short comment about them?

Jares: Ouf hard one again haha! I would go with UV just for their capability to create trends and push pure good music with some flexibility on the genre. I also really love Katermukke and Beatfreak! Again great labels that are all about pushing good music and not always trying to fit in a box or genre.


8-Dimitris: Do you have any gigs/festival performances confirmed so far for 2023 in which ones are you most excited to perform and why?

Jares: So I have a couple of gigs planned for this summer! The one I'm most excited about is my comeback to Stereo Afterhours on July 1st! I love that room, the crowd, the sound system and the whole environment.. I will have the chance to play alongside Soul Button.. one of my biggest inspirations! It's going to be an interesting one :D Can't wait!

I also have a couple of special plans cooking.. more to come!


9-Dimitris: Please note for all the new talents that read this interview to get some inspiration from you any technical tips in relation to your DJing or music productions. Also any piece of personal or music business' advice that has helped you to progress even further and is worth telling to the new upcoming talents.

Jares: One thing only! BE CONSISTENT! You probably won't make it from your first track or performance! It's really the consistency in your work and dedication that will make you who you are and forge your style! Try to produce consistently.. no matter the outcome!

Dimitris: Your message & wishes for Flux Bpm Online readers.

Jares: Thank you for this opportunity and for taking the time to listen to my music and checking out my stuff!


Thanks so much to Jares for this interview.

Thanks so much to Paul Thomas/UV for arranging the interview.