04:53:00
A+ A-

Interview with DJ & producer Levitate from Mexico City

 


Better known in the EDM scene as Levitate, a breakthrough DJ/Producer from Mexico City. The energetic Levitate has been working hard in the studio for the past couple of years and has hit the ground running. His unique take on trance music has started to make people take recognition of his sound that blends trance with tech infused beats, by combining the best elements of electronic music.

As a DJ, Levitate's sets reflect the diversity of his releases and are filled with his own productions. He's also shared the stage alongside the biggest names in EDM today such as Paul Van Dyk, Above and Beyond, Armin Van Buuren, Ferry Corsten, Gareth Emery, among others. Also, his music is supported by the biggest EDM radio shows worldwide such as A State Of Trance, Above & Beyond Group Therapy, Global Radio Broadcast, FSOE Radio, Wake Your Mind, Resonation Radio, Find Your Harmony, and the list goes on.

Not your typical trance producer, Levitate brings something fresh to the world of electronic music. With his experience in the EDM scene, there's no telling where this talent will go but we can be sure of one thing,

Levitate is here to stay.

Levitate brings his brilliant vibes on FSOE Argento with Reforma and we are excited to have him for an interview. You should check his music and his answers too. Enjoy reading it!




1-Dimitris: It would be nice to start by telling us your 3 most important achievements or goals fulfilled in your career so far that you very are proud of.

Levitate: That's a very good question!

1.To have my music signed and released on big labels and reach out millions of people worldwide is the main one.

2.Having my music played on the biggest festivals and EDM radio shows by artists that I admire is another big one.

3.To be able to travel and share the stage with amazing artists is quite rewarding as well.

2-Dimitris: Why and under which circumstances did you took the decision to start DJing or producing electronic dance music?

Levitate: I became a DJ back in high school because of my love of music and I wanted to emulate a DJ who I heard on the radio that used to play trance music that I used to like a lot! After that the next logical evolution for me was to start making my own remixes and original productions when I started DJing at nightclubs, so that I could have tunes that no one else had. I started naming my remixes 'Levitate Remix' so I took the name Levitate for all of my productions ever since.

3-Can you note down the top 3 producers that have influenced your decision to get involved in the electronic dance music scene and you admire and respect them very much?

Levitate: The top producers that mainly have influenced my style and passion for trance music are Paul Van Dyk, Above & Beyond, and Mat Zo, as I though their music was amazing since I first discovered them!

4-Dimitris: It would be fantastic to talk about your track Reforma on FSOE Argento. Please tell us how this track came about and what was the idea behind it.

Levitate: My latest release is called 'Reforma', out on FSOE Argento! It was inspired and written while I was standing on the balcony of the Chapultepec Castle in Mexico City, overlooking the main street called 'Reforma'. The view and sights blew me away as I felt a rush of inspiration from my beautiful city!


5-Dimitris: How long it took you to produce it and can u describe the production process in simple steps?

Levitate: It took me about a month and a half from start to finish. I usually always start by writing the main melody on the piano. After that I start to build the track around it and start playing around with different synths and plug-ins until I get the sound that I'm looking for. Then I play around with the bass line ideas that come after the melody. I usually have an idea of the structure from the very beginning so I try to stick to that. The last thing I do is the mastering and the always required car test!

6-Dimitris: Did you had any particular difficulties accomplishing that particular track or any specific technical challenges or obstacles that you had to overcome during its production.

Levitate: I didn't really have any big challenges while making this track. It came out very organic since the very beginning and I thought that the production process flowed very nicely on this one.

7- Dimitris: Which music composition software or hardware you prefer and why? What is your opinion of the latest movement to produce music with more analogue equipment and with less or without any digital software?

Levitate: For me, I'm all about analogue equipment as I like the sound and touch of it over using digital ones. The main issue with that is that analogue synths tend to be more expensive, so that's why I use digital ones instead! The good thing about the digital ones is that they typically have more features, parameters, and sonic options. Regardless, I still think analog equipment has a warmer and more satisfying sound overall!

8-Dimitris: Do you prefer instrumental dance tracks or you adore vocals? Please explain to us your position and if in your latest production you have vocals tell us how did you choose the specific singer and if it was great to work with her/him?

Levitate: Personally, I like to make more instrumental tracks because they don't put an idea of how you should feel while listening to the song. Vocals usually predisposition the way you feel or the mood you feel, while instrumental ones let you feel different things in a subjective way! I also think it's lazy to produce vocal tracks as the voice covers big gaps/flaws that the song has or that the producer lacks on skill. That's the reson I rarely produce vocal tracks myself.

9-Dimitris: If you really like to produce vocal tracks which vocalist/singer or lyricist on electronic dance music you aspire to work with?

Levitate: If I ever have to collaborate on a vocal track, I guess I would have to go with Emma Hewitt.


10-Dimitris: Do you believe that artwork on your latest track is good and do you believe that artwork can attract listeners or record buyers? Can you mention the best artwork of a track ever released?

Levitate: I don't think that the artwork really has any effect on a song's performance. Especially if a label used the same logo/colors on all of their releases.


11-Dimitris: Can you pick your top 3 record labels including the one released the track that we discuss in this interview and give us a short comment about them?

Levitate: 1.FSOE Argento - great quality and it fits my sound perfectly

2.Anjunabeats - great quality and legendary status

3.Elliptical Sun - great quality and great development of their artists

12-Dimitris:How much time do you spend promoting yourself in your social media and you see this as essential tool for self promotion and getting bookings too? Which social media is the one that seems to work better for you?

Levitate: I don't do lost of social media but i do think it's important nowadays to succeed in the music industry. I usually do Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook, as those have been the main ones for everybody for a while now.

13-Dimitris: Do you have your own radio show/podcast/twitch stream or Vlog(video blog)? If yes please give us a comment about it and how long it take you to prepare for it and if you are always excited to produce it?

Levitate: The name of my show is 'Levitation Sessions' as it is my outlet to showcase new music and test out some of my own. I'm always excited to produce it because I do it live so it's an actual recording of my set live!

14-Dimitris: Do you have any gigs/festival performances confirmed so far for 2023 in which ones are you most excited to perform and why?

Levitate: I have a couple of gigs in the summer and I will be opening up for a couple of big time trance artists as well. Sadly, I cannot give any further info at the moment as I haven't been authorized to do so yet, but be on the look out on my social media for the upcoming announcements!


15-Dimitris: Please share your most funny and most serious incident that happen to you during your DJ performance?

Levitate: I guess the funniest one for me was when I got distracted by the manager of Above & Beyond when I opened for them not too long ago. He came into the booth unexpectedly and I clicked on the queue button on the CDJ by accident, and had to keep my finger on it the whole song until I was able to mix the next one. It was quite funny for me!

16-Dimitris: Are you happy with the way that royalties system works particularly regarding streaming revenue? Do you believe that artists get what they deserve from streaming providers/DJs playing your tracks in gigs/radio and selling music in physical formats like CDs/Vinyl or digitally.

Levitate: I don't think that artists can really make a living just with the royalty revenues. Sadly I see it as in the not too distant future, music is going to be free and we will have to switch to other types of revenue.


17-Dimitris: Please note for all the new talents that read this interview to get some inspiration from you any technical tips in relation to your DJing or music productions. Also any piece of personal or music business' advice that has helped you to progress even further and is worth telling to the new upcoming talents.

Levitate: For all of the new talents out there, my advise is to never give up! The journey is a long one and you have to continue by improving yourself and by being open to take criticism and learning from it. Never stop learning and never stop enjoying the process!

18-Dimitris: Many DJs who are producers too they offer online masterclasses or teach to music production courses. If you are offering any of these services please tell us about it.

Levitate: I don't offer masterclasses but I do recommend to do a lot of research on the so called artists doing those if you're going to take one from them. There are a lot of people that cannot even make a decent song or that pay DJ Mag to put them on the Top100 list that are giving classes or giving advise about the business. Do not fall for these fakers that are just trying to make money off of innocent people. Make sure to take masterclasses from a well respected and proven artist, not just anybody pretending to be one.


19-Dimitris: Is there a club classic that you would like to remix or rework in 2023? Do you attempt often to do your own bootlegs of classics?

Levitate: I been doing my own bootlegs for a while now, but if I had the change to remix a classic it would be 'Above & Beyond - On a good day'!

20-Dimitris: Can you describe your music as certain music genre such as trance, house, techno or your music exempts these categorizations? What is your opinion about hybrid styles and the artists who are attempting to mix influences from various genres in their tracks?

Levitate: I don't really like to categorize music but mine falls along the lines of Trance to Progressive Trance. I like and encourage hybrid styles and playing with different instruments and music structures. I think it's our mission as artists to create new ways of doing things and evolving ourselves and the music we make!

21-Dimitris: Is your music business your full time occupation and are you able to make a leaving out of your music business (DJ/producer/label owner/teaching or mastering tracks)? If not what other jobs are you doing in order to support your income?

Levitate: I've been lucky enough to be a full time musician for the past five years now.

Dimitris: Your message & wishes for Flux Bpm Online readers.

Levitate: Thank you Flux Bpm for the great questions and I wish your readers to continue to be inspired by all of the great electronic music that it's out there!

Thanks to beloved Levitate for his nice answers.

Thanks to Dan Stone from FSOE Argento for organising this interview.


Additional info: