13:07:00
A+ A-

Best of 2018 Interview with DJ & producer Barkley


Barkley  produces music and has been supported by ► Tiesto, Ummet Ozcan, EDX, Fedde le Grand and many more.

Dimitris: Can you mention your biggest music career achievements in 2018?

Barkley: My official Remix for "The Chainsmokers - Side Effects"

Dimitris: Can you rate 2018 for you as a year with 1 being very bad until 10 that is perfect year!

Barkley: 9 excellent year, 2018 was great. I had the chance to remix Side Effects by the Chainsmokers and my Remix for "The Him - Oasis" reached over 12 million plays on Spotify!

1) Best 3 Tracks from other artists in 2018, please give us a short comment for each track:

Barkley: Lücks - First Last Kiss (Calippo Radio Edit) -> this track was a special one for me this summer. It has a very emotional vibe for me and brings me in a special dreamy mood... 



Scott Forshaw & Greg Stainer - I don't know -> Wow what a dope tune. I really love the processed vocal in the break. I'm an huge fan of the lead sound in the break too, so this track is one of the best tracks in 2018 for me.



Zhu - My life -> Masterpiece. Just an amazing trance melody, a dope vocal and a smooth bassline in the drop makes this track so special. I've listened to it a bunch of times, when I was sad or even when I felt really good. 



2) Your 3 Best of 2018 personal productions, give us more background info about them:

Barkley: The Chainsmokers - Side Effects (Barkley Remix) -> Huge honor for me! I really like the way this remix sounds. It includes my signature "Barkley Lead" which some people reminds of a brass or something.. I tried my best to keep the laidback vibes of the original track and combined it with clubby elements.



Barkley - Say -> For me the Piano is still one of the best Elements in House Music. I use it a lot of times. Say includes such piano chords, combined with a heavy bass drop which comes in very surprising. It has a very motivating touch. 



Mastrovita x Barkley - Still Alive -> I visited my friend Mastrovita in his studio in Zürich and we created this futuristic track in just a few hours. It combines modern future house elements with my and his signature sound. You should check this track out if you love modern and futuristic house beats.



3) Best Remix that you have produced in 2018, please tell us why you believe is your best work?

Barkley: My Remix for The Chainsmokers. I'm very proud about the opportunity!



4) Best New Talent in 2018 (DJ or producer), please explain the reasons why you choose him/her :

Barkley: Mastrovita. He's an amazing Artist with a very own sound. I love his mystic and dramatic melodies. You should definitely check him out.



5) Best vocalist/singer featured on electronic music track in 2018, please tell why you appreciate this singer/vocalist and why:

Barkley:  Jaime Deraz! I'm an huge fan of her work. She's the singer of my track "My City" and I really like the way how she brings her emotion into her singing. 



6) Best electronic music label for 2018, please justify why you choose this label and what was so special in 2018 about it:

Barkley: Sirup Music! I'm very happy to work with them. They always support me and my music. Its a great label with cool releases and artists.



7) Best Twitter/Facebook/Instagram message you may have received about your music or your DJ performance in 2018:

Barkley: It's always a great pleasure when people write you that my music helps them when they feel sad. My aim is to give people a good feeling and touch them with my melodies!

8) Best music composition software in 2018, please explain why you appreciate it so much:

Barkley: Live! so easy to compose and develop ideas really fast. My favourite Synthesizers are Sylenth 1 and Access Virus Ti 2. I use Nexus 2 all the time too! Great software to work with.



9) Best Club event or Festival that you have performed there or you would love one day to perform there, please explain the reasons that influenced your choice of the event & festival:

Barkley: World Club Dome! had a lot of fun playing there. I loved the crowd, you can definitely tell that they are lovers of electronic music :) 



10) Best piece of advice you got in relation to your career in 2018 and has helped you to progress even further:

Barkley: Try to find your own sound instead of just copying other producers. I try to give every Barkley Track its own character, something that other producers wouldn't do. just combine different elements from different genres. Find you own signature sound/elements like a special lead sound, special bassline or a rhythm pattern that stands for you as an artist.



Dimitris: Can you mention briefly your plans for your future releases, tracks, albums, collaborations, DJ gigs for 2019!

Barkley: Yeah there's a lot of new music coming up in 2019. I'm happy about a few vocal tracks with a trancy and emotional vibe :)

Dimitris: Finally, what is your biggest wish for 2019 and give us your wishes for our readers?

Barkley: My aim for the next year would be to produce more remixes and original tracks, touching peoples heart and give them a good feeling while they listen to my music!

Thanks to Barkley for his answers and the Sirup Music team for organising this interview.

Additional info: