12:17:00
A+ A-

#InDepth Interview with Ryoji Takahashi about his release Calima with Johan Gielen out on High Contrast


Veteran in the scene, Johan Gielen, is back on High Contrast with his latest release together with Japan-based Ryoji Takahashi!

Their collab Calima is a true club-banger. With a heavy bassline and an uptempo melody, this track is a perfect fit for the club!

Calima by Johan Gielen and Ryoji Takahashi is out now on High Contrast Recordings.



We are glad that Ryoji has accepted our request for an interview and you can read now his answers while you enjoy on repeat Calima, it is such a wonderful euphoric tune with true Asian flavour in it. 

Dimitri: When did you start your involvement with electronic dance music and which music style you are more affiliated with and why?

Ryoji Takahashi: I've started to listen Trance Music from 1998, after that, Japan had famous trance CD serious Cyber Trance. The CD serious has have really good tracks. Then I've started to make electronic dance music.

Dimitri: Did you had the opportunity to attend any kind of music production course or are u completely self taught? Do you consider that is essential for any artist to complete any production course?

Ryoji Takahashi: I've never attend any course. When I start to make my tracks, there were no any electronic music school in Japan.

If some one who want to be professional producer is considering, I suggest to go to professional classes.



Dimitri: In which label was your first ever release and how did you manage to attract the attention of the label?

Ryoji Takahashi: 2002, I released my first track from Japanese label "Being". At that time, I remember sent a lot of demos and met a lot of people to let the people listen to my tracks.

Dimitri: Please pick for us your Top 5 tracks that you have produced and you consider them as being highly important for the progress of your career indifferent if they were commercially successful.

Ryoji Takahashi: 

Johan Gielen & Ryoji Takahashi - Calima,  I could collabo with legend Johan Gielen.



Dim3nsion & Ryoji Takahashi - Hidamari, I got a lot of support from Trance DJs, Ferry Corsten played this track three weeks in a row on his radio. 



TINY DUCKS(My alias) & Kid Massive - Smash It(Sultan&Ned Shepard Edit),  I got a lot of world famous DJs such as PAUL OAKENFOLD , Fedde Le Grand, EDX, etc



Ryoji Takahashi - Mentana Baaan / YourEDM featured the track.



SHIBEE - Spunky(Remix) / I got Trackitdown Trance Chart No.1 for the first time, after that I’ve gotten a lot of top charts in various genres.



Dimitri: Let's focus on Calima with Johan Gielen. Please tell us from where did you got the inspiration for the track?

Ryoji Takahashi: When I walked on the street in Shanghai/China, just came up with the melody. Then while making the track in studio, I also was thinking the track need contrast. So I added the synth bass for the verse part.

Dimitri: How long it took you to produce it and was an easy or difficult process?If you have faced any difficulties please tell us about them and how did you resolved them?

Ryoji Takahashi: It was not so difficult. But when Johan and label owner listened to my 1st demo, they felt were 2 tracks in the track, the verse part and drop part are different track". So we tried to combine it to feel "one track". It needed a lot of times. If I feel something difficult, I will just run away until come up with inspiration.



Dimitri: Which was the biggest challenge that you faced during the production of the superb Calina with Johan?

Ryoji Takahashi: As I said, People feel "one track" for the track, it was big challenge for me. Because I was not thinking that people feel 2 tracks in this track when I made the 1st demo.

Dimitri: Can you describe to us the steps that you went through the production of Calima and or any other track?

Ryoji Takahashi: At first, I will usually make drum parts. Then just try a lot. But when I'm doing something like walking, driving, taking shower, etc, if came up with melody sometimes, I will make a track from this melody.



Dimitri: Is Calina, an original composition or is it based on a template from another track produced from you or another producer?

Ryoji Takahashi: It's original composition but when I open my daw, it already open my template including side chain trigger, some synths which I usually use, etc. 

Dimitri: Is the quality Calina higher than your previous one? If yes in what ways this track sounds better than your previous one?

Ryoji Takahashi: I think the quality not so different. But I didn't mastering for the track (I usually do mixdown & mastering by myself). So The sounding is different. When I get some tracks which other people do mastering, I will be excited because can find different way for my track. 

Dimitri: Do you have any friends or relatives that you send them the track before sending it to a label or if you are DJ did you test it in your gigs? If yes did you have to do any alterations as a result of the crowd reaction?

Ryoji Takahashi: Yes, At first, I will send my demos to my friends when I finish to make it. then if I feel same thing with my friends, will fix it. after that, if I have my gig, will play it as test. If the crowd reaction is not good. will change something what I feel.



Dimitri: Please describe to us the studio that you have produced Calina? What is your favourite hardware and software set up? Do you have in mind any new gear that you wish to get in order to raise the quality of your production?

Ryoji Takahashi: I love ableton Live. had used a lot of daw. But Ableton is easy to make a track from my inspiration, I think. 

I have some old hardware synths, and want to use it sometimes. But I can use these synths as just MIDI, I mean can not use it as plugin such as AU, VST. So I wish someone release a plugin which can use old synths as plugin and if it can change design like knob position, LED position, etc. 

In additional, if Ableton releasing Ableton Live for iPad, it's really great!!!

Dimitri: There is a growing trend of vinyl coming back for good. Would you like to see this track released on vinyl or any other of your future tracks? Do you prefer digital files or vinyl?

Ryoji Takahashi: If it's common case, I prefer digital files. Because it's easy people to listen to my track. If a lot of people like the track, I would like the track to be vinyl. 

If a lot of people love this track, I would like the track to be vinyl. If become vinyl, I can get special feeling and can have the vinyl until I die!

Dimitri: Do you have any future releases planned and when will be released?

Ryoji Takahashi: I don't have exact release plan. but I have some demos. after brushing it up, intend to talk with labels.

Dimitri: Do you have any upcoming DJ gigs planned for the next few months? 

Ryoji Takahashi: I'd like to concentrate for producing tracks. So I've been cutting down my gigs. After I release a lot of tracks, intend to go to gigs.

Dimitri: Do you produce a radio show/podcast as well? Please tell us here all the details about it. If you don't have one please tell us why you don't think is important for your career.

Ryoji Takahashi: I don't have it. I actually think it's important to have own radio show. But at first I'd like to make much more great tracks which a lot of people know.



Dimitri: Best piece of advice you got in relation to your career so far and best tip you learnt recently to make your tracks better.

Ryoji Takahashi: You are Japanese and Asian. So please make something can feel Japan/Asia. Please don't take care of theory too much and follow your heart.

Dimitri: Please give us here your tips or more elaborated advice for any new artists who may read this interview and wish to get involved with the electronic music industry.

Ryoji Takahashi: Please make your best track first. It doesn't matter how old you are. Recently, so many tracks have been released, but I feel that there are a lot of similar tracks. If you can announce a great track that no one has ever heard of, your world will be changed soon.

Thanks so much to Ryoji for this brilliant interview.

Thanks so much to Justin at High Contrast Recordings for organising it. 

Additional info:
www.highcontrastrecordings.com
instagram.highcontrastrecordings.com
twitter.highcontrastrecordings.com
facebook.highcontrastrecordings.com
spotify.highcontrastrecordings.com