00:42:00
A+ A-

InDepth Interview with Nick Martin talking about his latest track on Kontor


Nick Martin has rocked the finest festivals and clubs across the world including Ultra, Ushuaïa Ibiza and and opening act of The Chainsmokers tour last year. The rising Greek DJ producer signed to Amirn van Buren’s imprint Armada Music. After impressing in a big way with his remixes of Alesso’s‚ Falling' and Robin Schulz & HUGEL’s‚ I Believe I’m Fine‘ last year, rising Greek talent Nick Martin is back with his new track‚ I Don’t Mind‘! 



Dimitri: When did you start your involvement with electronic dance music and which music style you are more affiliated with and why?

Nick Martin: I started in 2001 and focused on House music.

Dimitri: Did you had the opportunity to attend any kind of music production course or are u completely self taught? Do you consider that is essential for any artist to complete any production course?

Nick Martin: I had a tutor and i feel it is a great way to start. After that i learned through experience and YouTube tutorials.

Dimitri: In which label was your first ever release and how did you manage to attract the attention of the label?

Nick Martin: My first ever release was at a Greek label which noticed I was doing great as a DJ and they wanted to help me produce a song and at that point i became a producer. 

Dimitri: Please pick for us your Top 5 tracks that you have produced and you consider them as being highly important for the progress of your career indifferent if they were commercially successful.

Nick Martin: Well my two favorite tracks so far are “Looking for Love” & “Shackles” I also still play “Red Lion” & “Sigma” which both make the crowds rage!! Finally my remix for Robin Schulz for “I believe I ‘m Fine” got me great attention!











Dimitri: Let's focus on your track I Don't Mind that is out now on Kontor & Armada Music. Please tell us from where did you got the inspiration for the track?

Nick Martin: I am trying to bring the old school house vibe back in the game. This is my focus now. Although I still DJ pure EDM songs and future house songs my roots are back to the Armand van Helden days and I want to make similar music with today's sounds/sonics. Sam Martin and I got in the studio and started writing what we called a party song. One thing led to the next and we finished this beauty in just a few days! Proud!

Dimitri: How long it took you to produce it and was an easy or difficult process?If you have faced any difficulties please tell us about them and how did you resolved them?

Nick Martin: As mentioned above the song took only 3 days to complete. The whole production process took probably a couple of weeks and I felt I struggled with some frequencies on the base line which ate into the groove and the impact the song had on a loud system. I went back and forth with the mastering engineer a few times which was frustrating. Through this process I  got convinced that I should start doing my own mastering in order to control the process end to end and so I have done my new song coming up next!

Dimitri: Which was the biggest challenge that you faced during the production of this superb track?

Nick Martin: Final master didn’t sound big enough and as described above this became an opportunity to learn more on mastering and do my own masters going forward. 



Dimitri: Can you describe to us the steps that you went through the production of this track and of any other track?

Nick Martin: Well I am only producing 4 years now and every six months I look back and I say I knew nothing then. I have doubted my self numerous times and I have definitely become better from this. What I did with “I don’t mind” is that I wrote the song with Sam and I completely produced it with wav files(no midi what so ever) and on pro tools which was a first for me! I wanted to make the song more real and less computerised if you see what I mean. I thought it would be easier than what it was at the end. My new project was again produced in Ableton as the work flow is much more familiar. I think I am still in search mode of discovering the secret sauce. Hopefully I am getting closer.

Dimitri: When the track finished did the label accepted it as it was produced or did the label recommend you to do some changes or fix certain things?

Nick Martin: Accepted it immediately which made me happy. Of course experience plays a role in that as I know by now when I hand in a record whether or not they will have comments as I have had so many records turned back to me with comments. So I know the tricks of the trade in a way and avoid wasting their time and mine.

Dimitri: Is this track an original composition or is it based on a template from another track produced from you or another producer?

Nick Martin: Totally original.



Dimitri: Is the quality of this track higher than your previous one? If yes in what ways this track sounds better than your previous one?

Nick Martin: Quality is different. Not necessarily better. Cleaner more musical with more dynamic and a touch less loud and less distorted. 

Dimitri: Do you have any friends or relatives that you send them the track before sending it to a label or if you are DJ did you test it in your gigs? If yes did you have to do any alterations as a result of the crowd reaction?

Nick Martin: I used to share my tracks. I don't do that anymore. But I test them live and watch the reactions.



Dimitri: Please describe to us the studio that you have produced the track? What is your favourite hardware and software set up? Do you have in mind any new gear that you wish to get in order to raise the quality of your production?

Nick Martin: I have my own studio which took 3 years to get where its at! I produce in Ableton and track vocals in pro tools. My favorite hardware is my Mac computer which is a beast and never lets down! I also like my Yamaha synth the motif xf8 which is fast easy and reliable. I use two set of speakers. My big speakers at PMCs and my near field mixing speakers are old proac studio 100! In my opinion absolutely the best! I love gear but for now I cant introduce anything new in the studio as I need stability in my work flow. Online  I love splice! Vst wise I love Diva now!

Dimitri: Do you master the track yourself or the mastering is task for the record label? Do you understand mastering as being essential?

Nick Martin: Sometimes a mastering engineer can add value but I believe going forward on doing my own mastering. It depends really on the vocals in the song. If I had in my mix down lots of vocal tracks I would probably use one the famous mastering studios such as sterling and weird masters.

Nick Martin at Ultra Japan
Dimitri: There is a growing trend of vinyl coming back for good. Would you like to see this track released on vinyl or any other of your future tracks? Do you prefer digital files or vinyl?

Nick Martin: I started DJing on vinyl and gave up in 2010 when I switched to CDJ. Its romantic but its not practical!



Dimitri: Do you have any future releases planned and when will be released?

Nick Martin: I have two remixes coming out! One for Hugel and one for Robin Schulz. I am also awaiting on decision on one original track with a famous DJ!

Dimitri: Please share with us your Top 3 best DJ gigs so far and the reasons that made them so special?

Nick Martin: Ultra Japan! Bangkok with the Chainsmokers and Green Valley Brazil! Huge crowds huge energy. In Japan despite the fact that was raining 30,000 people were dancing non stop. Surreal!



Dimitri: Do you have any more DJ gigs planned for the next few months? 

Nick Martin: I am always on the road. Gigs start in October in the US!

Dimitri: Do you produce a radio show/podcast as well?  If you don't have one please tell us why you think is important for your career.

Nick Martin: Not really. It is important and I ought to start one!



Dimitri: Best piece of advice you got in relation to your career so far and best tip you learnt recently to make your tracks better.

Nick Martin:  Hits hits hits! Nothing else matters!

Dimitri: Can you offer us here your tips or more elaborated advice for any new artists who may read this interview and wish to get involved with the electronic music industry.

Nick Martin: Believe in your self and try to be original! And get ready for a lot of disappointment before you get some success!

Many thanks to Nick Martin for answering this interview.

Many thanks to Anabelle Kemplen at Media Nanny for organising this interview.

Additional info: