00:51:00
A+ A-

BEST OF 2017 Interview with Marcus Santoro


Name: Marcus Santoro
Your location(country,city): Melbourne, Australia

Dimitri: Can you mention your biggest music career achievements in 2017?
Marcus Santoro: It's been a crazy year but biggest stand outs would be my support sets for both Dash Berlin and Cosmic Gate separately in Melbourne and opening the worlds biggest edition of Transmission at Etihad Stadium alongside Ferry Corsten, Markus Schulz, Aly & Fila and more. Also receiving support from some of the biggest names in the business like Above & Beyond has been nothing short of amazing. 
Dimitri: Can you mention your biggest personal life achievements in 2017 that make you extremely proud?
Marcus Santoro: I'd say performing at Etihad Stadium was beyond surreal as it is the biggest indoor arena in Australia and since it was my Birthday it made it more special. Also going to my very first Amsterdam Dance Event was definitely life changing and a big achievement of mine that I wanted to tick off for some time. 
1) Best Track from other artists:
Above & Beyond feat. Richard Beford - Northern Soul [Anjunabeats]
I absolutely fell in love with this song when they first debuted it at ABGT250 and upon hearing its full release it just compliments everything I look for in a record. Also it sounds amazing live so that's also a bonus!



2) Your top 3 2017 personal productions
1. Marcus Santoro - Flashpoint [Enhanced Progressive]



2. Marcus Santoro - Nova Scotia [Enhanced Progressive]



3. Marcus Santoro & Zac Waters - Space We Create [FSOE Excelsior]



3) Best Artist (Dj & producer):
My stand out artist of 2017 would be WILL K. He's been super consistent and definitely producing a very unique sound and has achieved so much since moving over to the UK from Melbourne. Being one of my super close friends, it's extremely motivating to see his recent success. 



4) Best Remix from other artist:
London Grammar - Hell To The Liars (Kölsch Remix) [Ministry Of Sound]
London Grammar X Kölsch, what a combination! Two of my favourite artists and this remix just compliments so many different emotions and it is also such a journey. This is my song for the Australian Summer and I fall into a deep slumber every time those strings come in. 10/10 production. 



5) Best Remix that you have produced?
Tritonal + SJ feat. Emma Gatsby - Hung Up (Marcus Santoro Remix) [Enhanced]



6) Best Remixer:
Kölsch. Every remix he touches is pure gold and he always gives you something fresh, simply nothing else to describe, just listen to the music and you'll see for yourself!



7) Best New Talent (Dj or producer):
I think the Noise Zoo boys have been incredibly consistent this year and they've been releasing some killer productions. They're a new name I discovered this year but super fun to listen to! 



8) Best Electronic Music Album:
Ferry Corsten - Blueprint
Each song tells a story and that's what an album should be. There's lots of great records on this album including the track with HALIENE 'Wherever You Are' which is one of my standout songs of 2017. Ferry is a genius and this album showcases his genius brilliantly! 



9) Best Electronic Music Compilation:
Anjunadeep 09 - Mixed by Jody Wisternoff & James Grant
This is a great compilation of some really emotive and empowering records that really let you sit back and think deep. I'm all for music with melodies and music that tells a story and this album is a rollercoaster of emotion. Would recommend to anyone who wants to sit back and appreciate all the little things or it's perfect for sipping on a few drinks with some friends on a nice warm day. 



10) Best artwork/cover of an Album or Compilation:
Anjunadeep 09 - I love abstract art and the textures are very out there and fresh. 



11) Best Lyrics in an Electronic Music track (it can be your production or from other artists)
My favourite lyrics from 2017 would be the incredibly and timeless 'My Own Hymn' by Above & Beyond featuring Zoe Johnston. Close your eyes and listen to the story being told and you get taken to heaven. 



12) Best Vocalist/Singer featured on Electronic Music track:
Zoe Johnston on 'My Own Hymn' by Above & Beyond. 

13) Best Electronic Music Label:
There's too many great labels to just choose one by I'd say some of my favourites would be Anjunabeats & Anjunadeep, Axtone, Enhanced and Armind.









14) Best Electronic Music Video:
Even though this is from 2015 my favourite video would be 'On My Way' by Axwell Ingrosso. I love the way it kind of presents itself into a short video and has it's own story that I don't find in a lot of other electronic videos. 



15) Best Online Social media for communication with your fans:
Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat!

16) Best Twitter or Facebook message or Instagram message you received from a fan or friend or you have read on someone else’s account:
A lot of fans have told me that I am one of their reasons for producing music and that I've inspired them to continue making it happen! That alone is priceless to hear and I am incredibly thankful to know my music has had that affect on people's lives!

17) Best music composition software:
Would say Logic Pro & Ableton Live are my go to for software as they are both very powerful tools. I've been running Live full time now for most of the year and it's incredibly fast to start ideas and get the ball rolling.

18) Best Club Event or Open Air Festival:
I think my favourite Festival that I've been too this year would be Transmission. Since it was my first time as a guest and as an artist it was a great debut to the party and I had an amazing time. The visuals, stage and production was next level!



19) Best personal Dj Gig:
My best personal DJ gig would be opening for Cosmic Gate at Festival Hall, performing at Marquee in Sydney and at Transmission at Etihad Stadium. (All of which happened in September this year) 





20) Best Dj set of the year from other fellow DJ:
Axwell's set from Tomorrowland was amazing, brought back those Swedish House Mafia magical moments!



21) Best country that you have played in 2017 and where did you met the best festival/event crowd:
I haven't played outside of Australia yet but Australia is home and it's always going to be amazing!

22) Best Radio show or Artist Vlog?:
Group Therapy with Above & Beyond without question! 



23) Best Radio station:
Smooth 91.5 for those subtle laid back vibes when driving.  

24) Best Online Record shop that you purchase your music:
Always checking Beatport for the latest records, and if you look super hard you find some absolute gems!

25) Best music related website that you visit frequently:
I frequently check Billboard for all things music related. 

26) Best Smart phone or smart phone application:
I'm a die hard Apple fan so I'm always going to stick by my beloved iPhone even though sometimes it can be a pain in the ass!

27) Best Dj equipment (software or hardware):
My go to for the clubs is the Pioneer DJM-2000nexusNX2 and Pioneer CDJ-2000nexusNX2

28) Best new sound or sample that has been used in Electronic Music this year perhaps introduced first by you?
Really not sure, there's been too many great new sounds but certainly nothing pioneered from me (not yet anyway haha) 

29) Best tip that you learnt this year for your Djing techniques or music composition:
With the risk of sounding like a rookie I finally started DJing properly in Key and I couldn't be more happier now - everything is so much more smoother and transitions are actually fantastic. And it was all thanks to rekordbox haha 

30) Best piece of advice you got in relation to your career in 2017:
Stay patient, work hard and believe that things will work out. Nothing is guaranteed but staying truth to the end goal is what is most important. 

31) Best hobby or activity that you spent a lot of time in 2017:
Besides producing music (which is a rarity to not do so) I spent a lot of time reading and got dug into poetry. 

32) Best holiday destination for 2017 either to relax or to perform in a club or festival:
Haven't been on a holiday this year but visited Amsterdam and London during ADE time so that was great!

33) Best Electronic Music magazines in printed form not online:
DJ Mag, Sound On Sound, Future Music, MusicTech are some great ones!

34) Best Movie of the year that may inspire you to compose a track:
I would say my favourite movie of the year was Logan. It was so compelling and dramatic I can watch it on repeat. 

35) Best online/PC/video game of the year that you have played this year?
Haven't been much of a gamer in the past 2 years but the latest Call Of Duty: WWII is pretty great!

36) Best electronic music related joke you heard this year and make you still laugh:
That EDM skit that Family Guy perfectly executed.

37) The saddest electronic music news you heard this year and still makes u cry:
The passing of the late Robert Miles was a sad time for all of the music community.

Dimitri: Finally, please tell our readers your plans with your future releases, tracks, albums, collaborations, Dj gigs.
Marcus Santoro: Heaps of new music and original content, remixes and working on some exciting collaborations (that I can't say too much about yet). Looking forward to an exciting run of summer dates and can't wait for what's on the horizon! 
Thanks to Rory at Enhanced Music for arranging this interview. 

Additional info:
Snapchat: marcussantoro