21:58:00
A+ A-

BEST OF 2017 Interview with David Rust


Your Name: David Rust
Your location(country,city): Glasgow, Scotland 

Can you mention your biggest music career achievements in 2017?
David Rust: This is the easiest question anyone has ever asked, Has to be playing 9pm-10pm on the Copacabana Stage at Luminosity Beach Festival, Not only is this the biggest achievement musically for me but also a massive personal achievement as I have dreamed of playing there since first time I attended in 2014. Massive milestone for me and it was probably the best hour of my life so far :)
Can you mention your biggest personal life achievements in 2017 that make you extremely proud?
David Rust: I feel like this year is really the year I have stepped things up in terms of balancing a full time day job, Music (Production, Gigs, everything else in-between etc) and general life. It has been anything but easy but I have got myself now into a good work ethic and have seen a lot of my hard work payed off this year which is always great. Roll on 2018 now. 
1) Best Track from other artists:
Uplifting - Chris Schweizer and James Dymond - Spectrum



Tech - Sneijder - Neutralize 



Vocal - David Forbes ft Emma Gillespie - Shadows (Original) 




2) Your top 3 2017 personal productions
1. Try to Comply



2. Absolutely (Due for release on 16th December)



3. From the Inside



3) Best Artist (Dj & producer):
Simon Patterson, Simon has been a massive inspiration to me from the start seeing him perform regularly at my local late Superclub The Arches in my home town of my Glasgow. Always moving with the times and keeping things fresh.



4) Best Remix from other artist:
Joint Operations Centre - Goodnight Irene (Shugz Remix) had this on my USB since I got my hands on it and still play it at most gigs, Absolute weaponry. 



5) Best Remix that you have produced?
Reverse - Ultima, Have been in love with that melody for years was such an honour to get to remix it officially.



6) Best Remixer:
James Dymond



7) Best New Talent (Dj or producer):
More recognised Talent would have to be Shugz, Guy has had an stormer of a year and it's full deserved IMO. More unrecognised I would have to say guys like Everlight, Garry Noon, HP Source, Smith and Brown. These guys tracks have been a permanent fixture in my sets this year.











8) Best Lyrics in an Electronic Music track (it can be your production or from other artists)
David Forbes - Shadows. Track gets me doing overtime. It's uplifting but so energetic at same time. 

9) Best Vocalist/Singer featured on Electronic Music track:
Has to be Emma Gillespie following up to previous question.



10) Best Electronic Music Label:
For me personally in terms of music I have been playing/supporting recently would have to be Kearnage or Damaged. 





11) Best Online Social media for communication with your fans:
I prefer to use Facebook and Instagram. 

12) Best music composition software:
Cubase

13) Best Club Event or Open Air Festival:
Luminosity Beach Festival easily. 



14) Best personal Dj Gig:
Am I allowed to say Luminosity Beach Festival again ha. It really was something special for me I will remember this gig for the rest of my life. 



15) Best DJ set of the year from other fellow DJ:
John O'Callaghan at ASOT in February. 




16) Best country that you have played in 2017 and where did you met the best festival/event crowd:
I have built up a very special bond with Northern Ireland this year particularly Belfast, I have been back and forth every couple of months and really made a special connection with the people over there. Glasgow has a reputation for having the maddest clubbers on this side of the world but Belfast is on par with us easily, Fantastic place to play. 

17) Best Radio show or Artist Vlog?:
Open Up (Simon Patterson)



18) Best Radio station:
Digitally Imported

19) Best Online Record shop that you purchase your music:
Beatport

20) Best music related website that you visit frequently:
Soundcloud

21) Best Smart phone or smart phone application:
Uber lol This app has bailed me of trouble many a time this year when I have been away from home travelling to DJ. 

22) Best Dj equipment (software or hardware):
Has to be the nexus2 DJM 900. Fx on it are incredible.

23) Best tip that you learnt this year for your Djing techniques or music composition:
Music production is always gonna be something I am learning as there is always new ways of doing stuff / techniques / tools etc coming out but I've learned a hell of a lot more about the overall quality of my tracks this year and how to achieve a much more professional sound. This has took a massive step up for me I feel especially in the later half of the year looking forward to seeing how far I progress again next year. 

24) Best piece of advice you got in relation to your career in 2017:
To not worry about what everyone else is doing and focus on yourself. Sometimes is so easy to get caught up in all the bravado and politics that comes with being an artist in any music scene. Best advice i have had this year is to get my head down and work which i have done. I feel as though i am in a much better position mentally now and happy with where I am. 

25) Best hobby or activity that you spent a lot of time in 2017:
Other than music which I do in almost all my free time on outside of work, I like to watch movies I am a massive movie buff. This is my way of unwinding after a hard days work or weekends work.

26) Best holiday destination for 2017 either to relax or to perform in a club or festival:
Well I had the privilege of getting to fly to Los Angeles in America last month for the first time to play, What an experience this way and an excellent place to relax as well as play.

27) Best Electronic Music magazines in printed form not online:
Mixmag

28) Best Movie of the year that may inspire you to compose a track:
Thor - Ragnarock

Finally, please tell our readers your plans with your future releases, tracks, albums, collaborations, Dj gigs.
David Rust:Perfect, Just want to say quickly thanks for having me. I've loads of plans for next year already got three massive gig opportunities confirmed along with loads of to be confirmed, I have loads of tracks that just need tied up also I am looking at hitting 2018 with everything I have got, The gloves are off. I will be playing my last gig of what has been my busiest year yet on 9th December in Belfast for Reloop and my last single of the year Absolutely will be release on 16th December on Reloaded records. 

Thanks to Rick Power from Active Talent Agency for organising this interview.

Additional info:
https://www.facebook.com/David.Rust.Official/
https://www.twitter.com/DavidRustMusic
Instagram:  DavidRustMusic