03:53:00
A+ A-

BEST OF 2016 Interview with DJ, producer, radio host and label manager Kris O'Neil


Your Name:
Kris O'Neil

Your location(country,city)
Breda, The Netherlands

Dimitri: Can you mention your 3 biggest achievements in your music career in 2016?
Kris O'Neil: Being assigned as label manager and A&R for Black Hole's Avanti label has to be one of them. My remix of Andain "Summer Calling" did pretty well, so also deserves a mention. On the show side of things, the crowd at the Transmission Pre-Party in Prague was one of the coolest I've ever played for, so that definitely deserves a mention as well!

Dimitri: Overall 2016 was a positive, neutral or maybe negative year for you and why?
Kris O'Neil: Positive. I don't think I've ever had a "negative" year. You obviously always hope for your career to progress really fast, but as long as it's actually in progress, I'm a happy guy. I'm able to make a living of the dance music scene, which millions of people would kill for, so I guess I can't really complain.



1) Best Track:
Kris O'Neil: Orkidea - Nana (Jerome Isma-Ae Remix) [Black Hole Recordings]



2) Best Artist (Dj & producer):
Kris O'Neil: Funkagenda





3) Best Remix:
Kris O'Neil: Orkidea - Nana (Jerome Isma-Ae Remix) [Black Hole Recordings]

4) Best Remixer:
Kris O'Neil: Jerome Isma-Ae



5) Best New Talent (Dj or producer):
Kris O'Neil: Alastor



6) Best Electronic Music Album:
Kris O'Neil: BT - Electronic Opus



7) Best Electronic Music Compilation:
Kris O'Neil: I've got to be selfish and say Somewhat Progressive vol. 3 by yours truly



8) Best Lyrics in an Electronic Music track
Kris O'Neil: Luke Chable feat. The New Division - Opium



9) Best Electronic Music Label:
Kris O'Neil: Avanti



10) Best Electronic Music Video:
Kris O'Neil: Eco - Darkness In The Light [Black Hole Recordings]



11) Best Online Social media for communication with your fans:
Kris O'Neil: Facebook

12) Best Twitter or Facebook message or Instagram message you received from a fan or friend or you have read on someone else’s account:
Kris O'Neil: I don't remember the exact message, but I've gotten a few about my DJ sets, from people mentioning that they're original and authentic. That means a lot to me!

13) Best music composition software:
Kris O'Neil: Logic Pro X

14) Best Club Event or Open Air Festival:
Kris O'Neil: Transmission



15) Best personal Dj Gig:
Kris O'Neil: Transmission Pre-Party, Prague (Czech Republic)



16) Best Dj set of the year from other fellow Dj:
Kris O'Neil: Grum at ABGT200



17) Best country that you have visited to perform with the most up for it crowd:
Kris O'Neil: Czech Republic

18) Best Radio show:
Kris O'Neil: The obvious answer would be "Somewhat Classy, Somewhat Trashy", but other than that, I enjoy Group Therapy by Above & Beyond. It's nice and diverse, and doesn't only play all the overly obvious tracks. The guys seems really sincere, which is important to me.



19) Best Online Record shop that you purchase your music:
Kris O'Neil: Beatport



20) Best music related website that you visit frequently:
Kris O'Neil: A Danish producer forum called "Lydmaskinen" ("The Soundmachine")

21) Best Smart phone or smart phone application:
Kris O'Neil: The recording feature, to whistle melodies that suddenly appears in your head



22) Best Dj equipment (software or hardware):
Kris O'Neil: The Pioneer series

23) Best piece of advice you got in relation to your career in 2016:
Kris O'Neil: I keep telling myself to stay true to what I love. Might be cheesy, but it's really important to me, and what keeps me motivated.



24) Best hobby or activity that you spent a lot of time in 2016:
Kris O'Neil: CrossFit

25) Best holiday destination for 2016 that you manage to visit this year either to relax or to perform in a club or festival:
Kris O'Neil: Dubai



26) Best Electronic Music magazines in printed form not online:
Kris O'Neil: Future Music

27) Best joke you heard this year related to electronic music:
Kris O'Neil: I don't remember anything specific, but it was probably involving a pan-flute...

Dimitri: Finally, 2017 is ahead of us would you like to tell your plans with your future releases, tracks, albums, collaborations, Dj gigs.
Kris O'Neil: I have a new single out in January called "Make You Feel" (my first solo track in 7 years!), further more I have a collaboration with the legend that is Rhys Fulber (Conjure One and 1/2 of Delerium) coming up, plus planning to make a collab with Alastor and Flynthe. I've got a few gigs confirmed, including the Legends stage of the upcoming In Trance We Trust party in Amsterdam. Also, there will probably be a new "Somewhat Progressive" compilation in the late summer.




Additional info: