Breda, The Netherlands
Dimitri: Can you mention your 3 biggest achievements in your music career in 2016?
Kris O'Neil: Being assigned as label manager and A&R for Black Hole's Avanti label has to be one of them. My remix of Andain "Summer Calling" did pretty well, so also deserves a mention. On the show side of things, the crowd at the Transmission Pre-Party in Prague was one of the coolest I've ever played for, so that definitely deserves a mention as well!
Dimitri: Overall 2016 was a positive, neutral or maybe negative year for you and why?
Kris O'Neil: Positive. I don't think I've ever had a "negative" year. You obviously always hope for your career to progress really fast, but as long as it's actually in progress, I'm a happy guy. I'm able to make a living of the dance music scene, which millions of people would kill for, so I guess I can't really complain.
1) Best Track:
2) Best Artist (Dj & producer):
3) Best Remix:
Kris O'Neil: Orkidea - Nana (Jerome Isma-Ae Remix) [Black Hole Recordings]
4) Best Remixer:
5) Best New Talent (Dj or producer):
6) Best Electronic Music Album:
7) Best Electronic Music Compilation:
8) Best Lyrics in an Electronic Music track
9) Best Electronic Music Label:
10) Best Electronic Music Video:
11) Best Online Social media for communication with your fans:
Kris O'Neil: Facebook
12) Best Twitter or Facebook message or Instagram message you received from a fan or friend or you have read on someone else’s account:
Kris O'Neil: I don't remember the exact message, but I've gotten a few about my DJ sets, from people mentioning that they're original and authentic. That means a lot to me!
13) Best music composition software:
Kris O'Neil: Logic Pro X
14) Best Club Event or Open Air Festival:
15) Best personal Dj Gig:
16) Best Dj set of the year from other fellow Dj:
17) Best country that you have visited to perform with the most up for it crowd:
Kris O'Neil: Czech Republic
18) Best Radio show:
Kris O'Neil: The obvious answer would be "Somewhat Classy, Somewhat Trashy", but other than that, I enjoy Group Therapy by Above & Beyond. It's nice and diverse, and doesn't only play all the overly obvious tracks. The guys seems really sincere, which is important to me.
19) Best Online Record shop that you purchase your music:
20) Best music related website that you visit frequently:
Kris O'Neil: A Danish producer forum called "Lydmaskinen" ("The Soundmachine")
21) Best Smart phone or smart phone application:
22) Best Dj equipment (software or hardware):
Kris O'Neil: The Pioneer series
23) Best piece of advice you got in relation to your career in 2016:
Kris O'Neil: I keep telling myself to stay true to what I love. Might be cheesy, but it's really important to me, and what keeps me motivated.
24) Best hobby or activity that you spent a lot of time in 2016:
Kris O'Neil: CrossFit
25) Best holiday destination for 2016 that you manage to visit this year either to relax or to perform in a club or festival:
26) Best Electronic Music magazines in printed form not online:
Kris O'Neil: Future Music
27) Best joke you heard this year related to electronic music:
Kris O'Neil: I don't remember anything specific, but it was probably involving a pan-flute...
Dimitri: Finally, 2017 is ahead of us would you like to tell your plans with your future releases, tracks, albums, collaborations, Dj gigs.
Kris O'Neil: I have a new single out in January called "Make You Feel" (my first solo track in 7 years!), further more I have a collaboration with the legend that is Rhys Fulber (Conjure One and 1/2 of Delerium) coming up, plus planning to make a collab with Alastor and Flynthe. I've got a few gigs confirmed, including the Legends stage of the upcoming In Trance We Trust party in Amsterdam. Also, there will probably be a new "Somewhat Progressive" compilation in the late summer.